College Football Playoff committee says they have 'Reviewed' multiple expansion ideas

If they stick with the four team format, they should pass a rule that a conference can only have at most one team in the final four and that one of the four slots should go to a non-P5 team.

If they stick with the four team format, they should pass a rule that a conference can only have at most one team in the final four and that one of the four slots should go to a non-P5 team.

I know you said should, what would be the requirements?

I know most people like 4 or expanding to 8 but I still like 6. 5 conference champions (places value on a conference title still) plus 1 at large (either a 2nd P5, independent (ND), for non-P5 as this would still give value to OOC games for those that don't win their conference championship IMO.

1 and 2 seeds get byes. This gives incentive and there's always something to play for all season.

The details can be figured out...if bowls host all games or maybe first round is hosted at the higher seed. That would be amazing.

I know you said should, what would be the requirements?

I know most people like 4 or expanding to 8 but I still like 6. 5 conference champions (places value on a conference title still) plus 1 at large (either a 2nd P5, independent (ND), for non-P5 as this would still give value to OOC games for those that don't win their conference championship IMO.

1 and 2 seeds get byes. This gives incentive and there's always something to play for all season.

The details can be figured out...if bowls host all games or maybe first round is hosted at the higher seed. That would be amazing.
  • If it's four teams, then there's at least one non-P5 team and at most one team from any P5 conference.
  • If it's eight teams, then one from each P5 conference, one from a non P5 conference, and the other two slots are open selection with at most two teams from any conference.
  • And I'm guessing it won't be six teams because there's more money to be made with 8 teams verus 6....

I think any expanded playoff should take all FBS conference champs, even Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, etc. Everyone's got a shot is a lot of the magic of March Madness.

10 conference champs, 2 at large, top 4 get first rd byes

• If it's four teams, then there's at least one non-P5 team and at most one team from any P5 conference.
  • If it's eight teams, then one from each P5 conference, one from a non P5 conference, and the other two slots are open selection with at most two teams from any conference.
  • And I'm guessing it won't be six teams because there's more money to be made with 8 teams verus 6....
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Why?
There hasn’t ever been a non-P5 team that has been one of the 4 best teams in the country. Probably not even one in the Top 10.

Football is not basketball so there is no need to try to mimic the NCAA BB format for the national championship.
I see nothing wrong with the current format.
Over the years there has never been a public outcry that the winner was not the best college team or that a deserving possible national champion was not in the final four.
If the SEC has two teams that is because they are the strongest conference that year.
I would agree that the Notre Dame publicity machine got them in the final four a couple of times when they did not deserve it.
Enough of the participation prizes by expanding the four teams.

Someone's always going to feel shafted no matter how you skin the cat. I agree with folks who think sixteen teams is too many for football.

Go back to no playoff. Big Ten plays for the Rose Bowl. Declare AP, Coaches, UPI, Instagram, Sassy, whatever poll champions as desired and we can argue about the results forevermore. Playoffs are for money and fans not directly vested in the programs. Each additional round of playoffs erodes bowl games. I find bowls are a valued part of the college football difference from other leagues and sports.

I see what Plato is saying.

My response would be that expansion is as much a political move as a practical move.

Most years the best CFB team is one of the top 4. The arguments are usually around the "4 vs 5" situations, where people claim a deserving team did not make the top 4.

by going to 8, I think you eliminate those arguments. Maybe some years the #5 team is good enough to at least make a run in the playoffs. but it would be hard to envision a scenario in which the #9 team could make a case that it was denied a shot at the title.

So, going to 8 teams eliminates those arguments - AND - it creates more "playoff" games for TV, which means more money for the schools.

NFL, MLB, etc - all expanding their playoff systems so that more teams can be in contention late in the year, and they have more "playoff" games to sell to TV.

In the end, College FB is too greedy to turn down the extra money.

Consistent with our societal regression the new model will be the tried and true “newspaper decision” model, ie conference champions will be contractually tied to bowls, at the conclusion of which newspaper and coaches’ polls will select national champions based on eye test, blue chip recruits, bribes, personal bias, and hype.

Why?
There hasn’t ever been a non-P5 team that has been one of the 4 best teams in the country. Probably not even one in the Top 10.
In most pro sports they've set it up so that the bad teams get an upper hand on improving (e.g., top of the draft pick and such). That levels the playing field and keeps all fans interested. In college football it's the opposite. Those on top get the most rewards and the gap between them and others continues to grow. As the gap continues to grow, you'll see a lot of schools bailing on football. Giving one slot to a non P5's give fans of all those schools a chance for their team to make the final four or final eight. I'd like to see an eight field playoff, where at least one slot is for a non P5 team.

Go to 6 at least. All Power 5 schools should have champion in. Then take the undefeated non power 5 school if there is 1, or the next best power 5 (Including Notre Dame or independent).

It makes no sense why an undefeated school shouldn't get a shot at the title. I understand it's not likely they win it, but that's not what it's about. All you did was win every game that was in front of you, you should be in the playoff.

My vote would be to go to 16 though if I could vote. It would be a lot of fun and turn into the equivalent of being in the NCAA tournament in hoops. Just need a chance.

In addition to the above, I'd like to see all FBS teams get a bowl game. There are around 35 bowl games right now, meaning 70 get to play. There are something like 130 FBS teams, meaning in the current set up 60 do not get to play in a bowl. In helping the lower-level teams, I'd give them a bowl as well. Note this gives them that extra two to three weeks of practice. Here's how it'd be done:
  1. After the 70 bowl invites are given, you know the remaining 60 teams.
  2. Those 60 teams decide if they want to play in the "ranked bowl" or to pack it up and call it a season.
  3. For those that do, there's a lot of ways to rank them. Pick one algorithm and rank the "non-bowl selected" teams from 71 to 130.
  4. The top of the list, which is the 71st team, then plays the next highest rated team on the list that's not in their conference, and you keep going down the list till you get to the end.
  5. The two teams figure out on their own where to play (e.g., a coin flip, travel to the warmer climate, etc.) and get their choice of two weekends in which to hold the game.
Probably little TV coverage, and no pomp and circumstance, and not a big pay day from some bowl sponsor, but they get to play in a bowl game and get that extra practice which goes a ways to keeping the lower half of the teams somewhat competitive in the overall landscape.

Playoffs are fun. I don't even tune into the majority of bowl games at this point. Go crazy with it. Can always make adjustments.

Playoffs are fun. I don't even tune into the majority of bowl games at this point. Go crazy with it. Can always make adjustments.
Agreed. But you can't make it too many teams or it'd take a month for it to work. But yes to playoffs. Unless it's a playoff, the top bowl games are going to continue to slide -- players skipping them to concentrate on their NFL hopes. I can't blame the players. If I were going in the first few rounds of the draft, I'd bail on a bowl game too. You're one game from making it to the NFL, not worth the risk. Make the games a playoff to the championship and there's more incentive for everyone to participate in the game.

4+1. Most others don't have a real shot at it anyway and this satisfies the Cinderella of the year.

How do all these extra games square with the concussion/CTE hysteria?
It is not hysteria which word was meant to describe depression and functional pain that because these symptoms occurred mostly in women the ancients thought the cause was a"wandering uterus".
CTE is real and real thing to have rational concerns about.

It is not hysteria which word was meant to describe depression and functional pain that because these symptoms occurred mostly in women the ancients thought the cause was a"wandering uterus".
CTE is real and real thing to have rational concerns about.

Real, and very rare in amateur athletes.

Football is not basketball so there is no need to try to mimic the NCAA BB format for the national championship.
I see nothing wrong with the current format.
Over the years there has never been a public outcry that the winner was not the best college team or that a deserving possible national champion was not in the final four.
If the SEC has two teams that is because they are the strongest conference that year.
I would agree that the Notre Dame publicity machine got them in the final four a couple of times when they did not deserve it.
Enough of the participation prizes by expanding the four teams.
Every p5 conference should send their best team. Nobody plays the same schedule so it comes down to politics when comparing the best 4 teams. Usually the name brand or SEC schools get the edge. Having the pac 12 or big ten champion left out is nonsense in my mind.

Top Bottom