College Football is Dead

What about going to Division 1 A, AA, AAA,AAAA,AAAAA,AAAAAA like high schools keep developing. More playoffs, more NCAA championships.

NCAA has to step in on the conferences as you can't have a conference go from USC to Rutgers. Do we care at all about the STUDENT anymore? This will just be longer travel dates. Adjust conferences to travel and fairness, put the revenues from each conference to a central pot that gets spread evenly so all conferences can exist and be enjoyable for fan and students to travel and cheer for.
See my post on the hockey
https://gopherhole.com/boards/threa...en-so-new-hockey-conference-can-begin.113261/

Not sure how the NIL really works? Shedeur Sanders leads but his NIL has no affiliate to Colorado(Gatordate, Mercedez Benz, etc). Instead of Fleck complaining about NIL and not having enough, maybe he has to work with them to sell them or help them make a difference. Pretty sure if a QB or anyone came in here, works hard to sell, and takes MN to Big Ten title game, the NIL opportunities will be there on a national level. Look at Caitlin Clark with Iowa or Angel Reese with LSU. Also the more NIL, the more responsibilities and other consequences some never think about. Do they want to be followed, disturbed, watched 24/7 every where they go. To me really NIL is pretty much there for anyone if they want to work to get it, athlete or not. Youtube and other social media are basically an NIL resource to anyone.
I read your tripe in the hockey board. You're basically saying that it would make sense for Minnesota to forego 80 million dollars in TV revenue. Even more silly is that you think we should do it based on hockey - a niche college sport along the lines of lacrosse.

To answer your question about the STUDENT? No. This is big business and big time entertainment. We should be doing anything and everything to win. If Washington can build a winner, so can Minnesota.

Since the start of the BCS in 1998, what is the last non-helmet school to win the real, actual, legitimate national championship (not some BS made-up fake thing Central Florida)?

Yeah basically this year the CFP playoff told ACC teams they have no chance even if they don't lose a game at a chance of a national title. Basically NIL for the CFP as well. Not a good look in my opinion. Doesn't happen in any other sport except football.

Since the start of the BCS in 1998, what is the last non-helmet school to win the real, actual, legitimate national championship (not some BS made-up fake thing Central Florida)?

I wouldn't consider Clemson a helmet school. Definitely not pre-Dabo

Last edited:

Right is Clemson a helment school?

Is Auburn a helmet school?

I read your tripe in the hockey board. You're basically saying that it would make sense for Minnesota to forego 80 million dollars in TV revenue. Even more silly is that you think we should do it based on hockey - a niche college sport along the lines of lacrosse.

To answer your question about the STUDENT? No. This is big business and big time entertainment. We should be doing anything and everything to win. If Washington can build a winner, so can Minnesota.
Yeah he never answered what 6-8 sports to cut if we did this. Dumb argument. I hate big Ten hockey as well, but Football and Basketball run the world.

Viewers want to watch these super teams. And then teams just below them are richly rewarded too with national exposure, interesting opponents, and a glut of bowl games to play in.

Minnesota is one of the fat cats to all the non-P5 teams.

Eventually financial advantages have to nudge to middle-level B1G Minnesota and away from the ACC teams and so forth.
Yeah he never answered what 6-8 sports to cut if we did this. Dumb argument. I hate big Ten hockey as well, but Football and Basketball run the world.

Minnesota's women's hockey program is in the WCHA. SIX Minnesota teams are in that conference, including UMD. Ohio State and Wisconsin are in that WCHA conference.

The men's hockey team used to be in the WCHA. I'm guessing he might mean just the hockey program leave the B1G? Probably just nostalgic for the old days of the men's WCHA.

I'm not debating anything, just maybe this is the context? Or not? I don't know.

Viewers want to watch these super teams. And then teams just below them are richly rewarded too with national exposure, interesting opponents, and a glut of bowl games to play in.

Minnesota is one of the fat cats to all the non-P5 teams.

Eventually financial advantages have to nudge to middle-level B1G Minnesota and away from the ACC teams and so forth.

Minnesota's women's hockey program is in the WCHA. SIX Minnesota teams are in that conference, including UMD. Ohio State and Wisconsin are in that WCHA conference.

The men's hockey team used to be in the WCHA. I'm guessing he might mean just the hockey program leave the B1G? Probably just nostalgic for the old days of the men's WCHA.

I'm not debating anything, just maybe this is the context? Or not? I don't know.
No he wanted football in the Missouri Valley and Basketball in the Summit league. see below.

"
Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Soccer, etc have plenty of options(see below) for a stellar conference where being competitive and championships more realistic which in turns bring better fan base.

Minnesota
St. Thomas
Wisconsin
Marquette
Wisc Green Bay
Wisc Milwaukee
Iowa
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Drake
South Dakota
South Dakota St
North Dakota
North Dakota State
Creighton
Nebraska Omaha
Nebraska

If other teams can leave their conferences, why can't the gophers! Lets make it happen!

People still go to Harvard football games. If you were watching the Gophers and hoping for a national championship, then that was a waste of time. If you're watching because your an alumnus, or the friend of an alumnus, or like watching Gopher football, or have fond memories of watching Gopher football, or whatever, then it makes no sense to get upset now that the implicit has become explicit. Ohio State was always paying its players. That isn't new. It's just in the open now.

I have a solution to the NIL, transfer portal, etc to save college football:

Get rid of the 5 years of playing eligibility limitation. The only requirement should be 'full time enrollment as a student' and maybe restrict scholarships to 5 years - they are less meaningful in the world of NIL anyway. So, schools like Minnesota may be able to start a grizzled 35 year old QB that is not desired in the NFL, etc but not good enough to compete vs. the 5 star freshman QB at Alabama. I think this is the only way to truly level the playing field.

I have a solution to the NIL, transfer portal, etc to save college football:

Get rid of the 5 years of playing eligibility limitation. The only requirement should be 'full time enrollment as a student' and maybe restrict scholarships to 5 years - they are less meaningful in the world of NIL anyway. So, schools like Minnesota may be able to start a grizzled 35 year old QB that is not desired in the NFL, etc but not good enough to compete vs. the 5 star freshman QB at Alabama. I think this is the only way to truly level the playing field.

That's actually innovative thinking... has me thinking. You don't get a longer scholarship but you get NIL employment -- talking to you hogs offensive line.

That's actually innovative thinking... has me thinking. You don't get a longer scholarship but you get NIL employment -- talking to you hogs offensive line.
It is an interesting thought. I kind of like that.

In 1936 MN won a national title at 7-1-0. Northwestern was 7-1-0 and beat MN. Northwestern was #7 in final poll. College football didn’t die then. College football is just beginning. Next year will be the first year with auto bids, byes to conference champs, and some at-large teams. College football has finally caught up with the rest of the sports world.
Catching up at least. When we can pay players out of TV money, things will be more even.
I've previously held the optimistic approach that NIL and the transfer portal will eventually work itself out, and the elimination of the B1G West and conference expansion won't be as detrimental to the sport as others have continually complained about.

But it's now pointless to remain a fan of Minnesota, or a fan of any other similar school that's not a helmet school. It's pointless to continue to invest time and money to a program that has no chance of competing. It's not a university problem, it's not a PJ problem, it's a college football problem.

I don't have a problem with NIL, players should be able to capitalize on their likeness. But NIL isn't the issue, pay for play is the issue. It has always been an issue, but it has become 1,000 times worse over the last few years than it has been in the past. Until pay for play is regulated to a fair playing field, there is no chance for the Gophers.

If you think expanding the playoffs will give more opportunity to other schools to compete, or make championship season more interesting, it won't. It just makes the regular season less important, and the SEC will still be favored for the final spots. Instead of 1 loss SEC teams getting in to the final 4, it'll be 4 loss SEC teams getting in over other conference teams with better records. If Minnesota wins 10 games again in a season and it's between them and an 8 or 9 win SEC team to make the playoffs, the SEC team will be in every single time.

Kudos to the fans still willing to invest time and money into this. You're better than me. But as of today, I am done with college football until there are significant changes to pay for play, the transfer portal, and the SEC media/money bias.
If enough people feel like you and stop watching, it might help facilitate the change we all want. I hope it works and you can become a fan again! I'm going to keep watching because I think this turns out better than you think. As someone in this string mentioned, pro baseball has gotten a lot better lately mostly because they were falling behind the other pro sports in attendance and had to make changes. Let's hope all the college football outrage leads to something better.

I agree with SHGopher that a lot of non-P5 teams envy us right now. It could be worse. Even if we can't compete for the B1G title, I will still enjoy our regional rivalries where we can compete.

Oh, and I really wanted the SEC left out of the CFP, but it didn't happen. Now, the best we can hope for is that Michigan beats Alabama and FSU beats Georgia. Then we can all jump on the bandwagon of FSU being co-national champion and say the SEC was overrated! Unfortunately, I don't like the chances of any of that happening. It's more likely those two SEC teams with a month to prepare beat their opponents:-( I wish I could say that I wouldn't watch, but seeing what I consider now to be THREE semi-final games with six very good teams will be too hard NOT to watch! I might need to change the station if things start going the wrong way however.:oops:

If Ohio State gets matched up with Oregon, we could have an unbelievable top four games to end the year!!!

I'm not a fan of everything happening in college FB.

But change is a part of life. I grew up as a huge baseball fan, and I loved the idea that at the end of the season, the AL champ and NL champ met in the World Series. then along came divisions, and playoffs, and more divisions, and more teams qualifying for the playoffs, until baseball became like hockey and basketball - just another sport with a seemingly endless slog of playoff games.

It's not the same baseball that I grew up with, but I am still a baseball fan.

It's not the same college football that I grew up with, but I am still a football fan.

this last season, baseball made changes that improved the game and made it more watchable. I hope that college football finds a way to make its own positive changes.
I get that change is inevitable but it is not always good and should be accepted. Take boxing. They destroyed their sport chasing dollars and greed. CFB could very well do the same.

I've previously held the optimistic approach that NIL and the transfer portal will eventually work itself out, and the elimination of the B1G West and conference expansion won't be as detrimental to the sport as others have continually complained about.

But it's now pointless to remain a fan of Minnesota, or a fan of any other similar school that's not a helmet school. It's pointless to continue to invest time and money to a program that has no chance of competing. It's not a university problem, it's not a PJ problem, it's a college football problem.

I don't have a problem with NIL, players should be able to capitalize on their likeness. But NIL isn't the issue, pay for play is the issue. It has always been an issue, but it has become 1,000 times worse over the last few years than it has been in the past. Until pay for play is regulated to a fair playing field, there is no chance for the Gophers.

If you think expanding the playoffs will give more opportunity to other schools to compete, or make championship season more interesting, it won't. It just makes the regular season less important, and the SEC will still be favored for the final spots. Instead of 1 loss SEC teams getting in to the final 4, it'll be 4 loss SEC teams getting in over other conference teams with better records. If Minnesota wins 10 games again in a season and it's between them and an 8 or 9 win SEC team to make the playoffs, the SEC team will be in every single time.

Kudos to the fans still willing to invest time and money into this. You're better than me. But as of today, I am done with college football until there are significant changes to pay for play, the transfer portal, and the SEC media/money bias.
I agree but I think your view is sunnier than mine.

Michigan wanted and got the number one seed. Now they get Alabama. I would laugh my ass of if they lose and to see the look on all of the scUM's entitled faces. Priceless. The Walmart Wolverines will not be happy.

Michigan wanted and got the number one seed. Now they get Alabama. I would laugh my ass of if they lose and to see the look on all of the scUM's entitled faces. Priceless. The Walmart Wolverines will not be happy.
I just cannot handle watching SEC football, so maybe we will luck out and get UW vs UM for the championship.
Anyone else hoping that Penix ends up a viking somehow?

Tennessee won the first BCS title.

Here’s what the playoff could have looked like this year. And many people would be excited by this which I just don’t get.

We’ve already seen Ohio St vs Penn St and Georgia va Ole Miss, why do we want to see it again?

Under next years conferences it would be 5 SEC, 5 B1G, 1 ACC and 1 G5 with those 2 playing in the first round. And some would argue Oklahoma being in over Liberty making it 6 SEC teams.

Gross.

What about going to Division 1 A, AA, AAA,AAAA,AAAAA,AAAAAA like high schools keep developing. More playoffs, more NCAA championships.
Making my youth hockey trek across south eastern MN today.....I actually thought about this and realistically......it's not the worst plan on the planet. The committee has basically said 99% of college football teams literally have nothing to play for.

1936 multiple teams claim a national title
It was the first year for the AP poll, which eclipsed all the single guy choices which had been argued over previously, in terms of a "consensus" champion.. AP was the only recognized arbiter of national champion until the coaches poll began in 1950 - it had equal authority, so they disagreed sometimes. The NCAA recognizes Minnesota as national champs in 1933-34-35, 40-41, 1960.

NCAA has to step in on the conferences as you can't have a conference go from USC to Rutgers. Do we care at all about the STUDENT anymore? This will just be longer travel dates. Adjust conferences to travel and fairness, put the revenues from each conference to a central pot that gets spread evenly so all conferences can exist and be enjoyable for fan and students to travel and cheer for.
See my post on the hockey
https://gopherhole.com/boards/threa...en-so-new-hockey-conference-can-begin.113261/

Not sure how the NIL really works? Shedeur Sanders leads but his NIL has no affiliate to Colorado(Gatordate, Mercedez Benz, etc). Instead of Fleck complaining about NIL and not having enough, maybe he has to work with them to sell them or help them make a difference. Pretty sure if a QB or anyone came in here, works hard to sell, and takes MN to Big Ten title game, the NIL opportunities will be there on a national level. Look at Caitlin Clark with Iowa or Angel Reese with LSU. Also the more NIL, the more responsibilities and other consequences some never think about. Do they want to be followed, disturbed, watched 24/7 every where they go. To me really NIL is pretty much there for anyone if they want to work to get it, athlete or not. Youtube and other social media are basically an NIL resource to anyone.
The best article I've seen on NIL was in the NY Times Oct 23, '23: "How Rich Donors are Transforming College Sports." The reporter goes into detail on how the NIL is being misused and becoming a fraud. Another good article was in the NY Times Jan. 24, '23, by Bruce Schoenfeld: "Student, Athlete, Mogul."

Here’s what the playoff could have looked like this year. And many people would be excited by this which I just don’t get.

We’ve already seen Ohio St vs Penn St and Georgia va Ole Miss, why do we want to see it again?

Under next years conferences it would be 5 SEC, 5 B1G, 1 ACC and 1 G5 with those 2 playing in the first round. And some would argue Oklahoma being in over Liberty making it 6 SEC teams.

Gross.
Yuck. That is ugly. I'm 100% OUT except for when the Gophers play. Going to take something crazy like the following scenario to get me even remotely interested in paying attention to any College Football postseason beyond the Gophers playing in a bowl.

So, let's get crazy! Here we go:

-32 team playoff seeded 1-32
-ALL conference champions get an auto bid
-All other at large teams are based on a playoff ranking system with as little bias as possible
-1st and 2nd Rounds are hosted by the higher seed on campus
-Quarterfinals and Semifinals played at Major Bowl sites
-Championship played at the site that is hosting the Super Bowl 2-4 years down the road

*Minor adjustments in seeding are allowed to eliminate conference foes from playing before 3rd Rd

Here is this year's 32 team bracket:

1 Michigan (B1G Champ)
32 Boise State (MW Champ)
----------
16 Notre Dame
17 Oregon State
----------
9 Missouri
24 SMU (AAC Champ)
----------
8 Oregon
25 Kansas State
----------
5 Florida State (ACC Champ)
28 Kansas
----------
12 Penn St.
21 Tennessee
----------
13 Arizona
20 Oklahoma St.
----------
4 Alabama (SEC Champ)
29 West Virginia
----------------------------------------
2 Washington (Pac 12 Champ)
31 Miami (OH) (MAC Champ)
----------
15 Louisville
18 Iowa
----------
10 Oklahoma
23 Liberty (C-USA Champ)
----------
7 Georgia
26 Tulane
----------
6 Ohio State
27 Troy (Sun Belt Champ)
----------
11 Ole Miss
22 Clemson
----------
14 LSU
19 N.C. State
----------
3 Texas (Big 12 Champ)
30 Utah

Bids by conference and Independents invited:
AAC - 2
ACC - 4
B1G - 4
Big 12 - 6
C-USA - 1
Independents - 1
MAC - 1
MW - 1
Pac 12 - 5
SEC - 6
Sun Belt - 1

I will not support this unhinged greed any longer. An inclusive change like this would get me back but they better not take too long because once someone checks out it is a lot harder to get them back...

Haven't watched the NFL since Favre got bludgeoned in the playoffs at New Orleans. Didn't plan on stopping watching after that letdown loss. It just happened and I haven't been back to watch 1 single NFL game since. I've found plenty of other things to do to entertain myself on Sundays since then.

Yuck. That is ugly. I'm 100% OUT except for when the Gophers play. Going to take something crazy like the following scenario to get me even remotely interested in paying attention to any College Football postseason
I have to ask, what do you think the purpose of the college football playoffs are:
A.) To find the best team at the end of the season (regular season is no longer meaningful, it is just how good you are at the end of the season)?
B.) To find the best team over the course of the season (limited playoffs or in-season losses are meaningless)?
C.) To make more money by broadcasting more games?

Frankly, I think once we are down to 4 major conferences, I think you a de-facto 8 team play-off with round 1 being the conference championship game and you force each conference to eliminate divisions to determine who plays in the conference championship #1 vs. #2). Each conference champ gets an auto bid - if you don't win your conference, you have been eliminated as it should be. You don't consider any non-Big 4 conference or independent teams as the C. above is driving all this madness and your ratings will suck for C. Also, with the conferences expanding, there is no reason for you to be outside out of the Big 4 if your team is actually competitive.

So, keep the play-offs at 4 teams total - just tweak the conference championship games.

Top Bottom