College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

He is going to be a prime target for a lot of programs. Hard to imagine him coming here and he'd be directly competing with Garcia if he did.
Not expecting him here.

Ben has to be good at finding the second-tier guys that don't get all the attention, like Hawkins last year. That's where his bread will be buttered.

I do see 247 shows committed to MN but not sure if it's an error or not.

Any confirmation elsewhere?

I do see 247 shows committed to MN but not sure if it's an error or not.

Any confirmation elsewhere?
Found on 247, but not yet anywhere else.

I do like our odds. Since he was looking for school with his major. 1) we have it. 2) it is exceptional 3) the TC market is a monster spot for work in the field. Tons of both history and knowledge.

How do you know this?

Because we're not Gonzaga. We couldn't recruit a kid like this with the intention of sitting him on the bench and playing him for maybe 10 minutes per game. Maybe you think that some kid from one of the primary North Dakota schools can't start in the Big Ten but that's exactly what Filip Rebraca did for two years at Iowa after he transferred from UND.

Hawkins and Mitchell weren’t either until they proved they are. I’d like Ben to recruit another big, but automatically claiming Morgan is bench depth is misguided.

As it sits, he’s our 5
What we know is that Morgan is not a big time rebounder or shot blocker at the mid major level. We were not a good defensive team with a tough shot blocker like Payne. We need to become a much better defensive team to win more games next year. I would sure hope we land another 5. Obviously we are a better team if Morgan is our depth. If he is our 5, that's a downgrade from Payne. He's a welcome addition, we need him- but we need more.

Because we're not Gonzaga. We couldn't recruit a kid like this with the intention of sitting him on the bench and playing him for maybe 10 minutes per game. Maybe you think that some kid from one of the primary North Dakota schools can't start in the Big Ten but that's exactly what Filip Rebraca did for two years at Iowa after he transferred from UND.
You think Ben promised him a starting role?

Look at three games against UST and So Dak st… UST went at him with their smaller center and at him with their pick and pop center.. didn’t do much against Kyle.. biggest dude in a small conference… remember I like the signing if it happens

thought - players looking at MN have to ask the question - how much playing time will I get?

Ben through 3 years has a track record of running with a short bench. most nights it's a 7-man rotation with an 8th guy getting a few minutes.

so if you are looking at MN as a transfer, you had better be pretty damn confident that you will be in the top 7. If you're not, you're going to spend most of your time sitting and watching.

that is the real catch-22 of the NIL/Portal era. unless you are going to fill out your bench with walk-ons, there are going to be 4 or 5 scholarship players sitting on the bench. unless you're handing out a bleep-load of NIL those guys are prime candidates to bolt as soon as the season is over.
Transfers who look at Ben's track record in terms of playing transfers would have to like what they see. Can't really think of guys that have transferred in and not seen significant playing time with the exception of Wilson who was never likely to play much anyway.

Look at three games against UST and So Dak st… UST went at him with their smaller center and at him with their pick and pop center.. didn’t do much against Kyle.. biggest dude in a small conference… remember I like the signing if it happens

Unlike some others, I look at the whole body of work, not some cherry picked games to support my own bias.

Oh yeah?

AndrewFilip
MorganRebraca
Player Efficiency Rating
22.7​
20.9​
Win shares per 40 min
0.153​
0.101​
True Shooting Percentage
0.613​
0.544​

I can keep going if you want.
Please. Both players win percentages and efficiency ratings are way higher than your percentages of making good posts… you post garbage 24/7

Promised? No. According to a recent recruit (Mitchell I think), Ben didn't promise him a starting position either but my guess is that Ben is thinking of Morgan as his primary center recruit.
Yeah, don't think any coach is going to promise a starting role to most guys but Nelson can obviously see that he will have a great opportunity to earn a starting job here as things stand right now.

We will know pretty quickly what their plans are for Morgan (assuming he is in fact coming here) when we get to see how aggressively they are going after other centers in the portal.

Those are the games I have seen him play… I have seen him in person 6 times in college not to mention HS and AAU

ted
Before we discuss his ability are we sure he committed? I see NOTHING

Yeah, I'm not a 100% confident yet. Look above in this thread and someone posted the recruiting timeline from Morgan's 247 recruiting page. I didn't see the commitment noted on 247, On3. or Verbal Commit's transfer portal pages.

Top Bottom