College Basketball News’ Minnesota All-State team -McKinley Wright Player of the Year

I personally would much rather have Washington than Davison. Davison doesn't really fit the style that Pitino wants to play. He's high IQ, steady and a good shooter but he's very slow and methodical - a Wisconsin Badgers type player. I think Jelly's quickness and ability to move the ball in transition really fit the Gophers much better. Plus, Jelly is really bringing a national brand recognition that has a surprising amount of pull among high school kids right now. He is going to get our program all over Espn and not for the bad reasons, which always helps with recruiting. Davison just wouldn't move the needle for our program in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree. I live in the NW suburbs so have seen Wright and Davison play a ton of games for the last 3 years. Davison is a good WI recruit to play in the swing offense. I didn't want him from the beginning as a 10th grader, and I don't have any regrets about him going to WI. I would've loved Wright as a gopher. Haven't seen Washington play in person, but I trust Pitino knows he's a better get than Mckinley Wright. If he is better than Wright, great.

Absolutely agree. I live in the NW suburbs so have seen Wright and Davison play a ton of games for the last 3 years. Davison is a good WI recruit to play in the swing offense. I didn't want him from the beginning as a 10th grader, and I don't have any regrets about him going to WI. I would've loved Wright as a gopher. Haven't seen Washington play in person, but I trust Pitino knows he's a better get than Mckinley Wright. If he is better than Wright, great.

Yes I currently coach high school basketball and Wright is better suited for the Gophers than Davidson. I don't Davidson nor Reuvers were ever serious targets for Pitino. They just aren't fits for his uptempo style. We need to get over it and move on.

Davison is a nice player. Can play off the ball. Would struggle to defend a B1G PG athletically. Can shoot from the outside and his game will fit Wisconsins system better than Minnesotas.

Reuvers would have been a nice get in my opinion, but Oturo fits the system here better than Reuvers would have. I'd have taken both if possible but oh well.

I don't worry too much about the guys we "miss" because that happens. If the Gophers make a season like 2016-2017 a norm, they'll get more kids locally to be interested. However, Pitino can recruit elsewhere and has done so with a lot of success. He'll land some more in-state kids and that is great. To be truly elite, you recruit nationally.

Davison is a nice player. Can play off the ball. Would struggle to defend a B1G PG athletically. Can shoot from the outside and his game will fit Wisconsins system better than Minnesotas.

Reuvers would have been a nice get in my opinion, but Oturo fits the system here better than Reuvers would have. I'd have taken both if possible but oh well.

I don't worry too much about the guys we "miss" because that happens. If the Gophers make a season like 2016-2017 a norm, they'll get more kids locally to be interested. However, Pitino can recruit elsewhere and has done so with a lot of success. He'll land some more in-state kids and that is great. To be truly elite, you recruit nationally.

Thank you have been saying this on every recruiting thread. To be a true contender, you need to be able to recruit nationally.

I always find this strange that people think loyalty exists in high school. Of my HS graduating class something like 10-20 people went to madison for undergrad. Are they equally unloyal or do they just want to be a little farther away from home for college?

My hatred for all things Wisconsin makes a 'Does Not Compute' error flash in my brain when I read this. Can not comprehend.

Top Bottom