College Basketball News’ All-Metro team

Chris Monter

Reaction score
Picking a Twin Cities All-Metro basketball team this season was a bit tougher with the loss of McDonald’s All-American Rashad Vaughn, who decided to play Findlay Prep for his senior campaign. The Class of 2014 might have been the strongest in the state’s history with three players among the country's top 30 if Vaughn had not transferred. However, there is still plenty of local talent as the four seniors and one talented junior are still playing in the postseason. The following is a look at the College Basketball News’ All-Metro team.

FIRST TEAM

Tyus Jones (College Basketball News' Metro Player of the Year)

The number one point guard in the Class of 2014 has helped lead Apple Valley to a 27-1 mark and number one ranking in Class AAAA. He is averaging 25.3 points per game and scored in double figures in all 28 games. The Duke signee had seven games of 30 or more points, including a season-best 41 points versus Lakeville North and 15 more games of more than 20 points. His numbers would have been even better if they had blown out most of their opponents. Apple Valley is the big favorite in Class AAAA and has just had two games when they won by less than double figures.

J.P. Macura
The Lakeville North scorer just missed making the College Basketball News’ first team last year as a first year starter. He increased his scoring to 32.8 points per game and had an amazing six games of more than 40 points, including a school record 55 versus Farmington. The Xavier signee helped lead the Panthers to a 23-5 mark and a second place finish in the South Suburban Conference. He scored in double figures in all 28 games and had 26 games of 20 or more points. Macura, who has unlimited shooting range, has helped lead the Panthers to the top seed in Section 1AAAA.

Sam Neumann
Neumann is one of the Metro’s top outside shooters. He demonstrated his range as he made nine three-pointers against Bettendorf in the Timberwolves Shootout in a 39-point effort. Neumann topped that with 45 points versus Roseville. He averaged 19.6 points per game and scored in double figures in 24 of 28 games. Neumann had twelve games of 20 or more, including four games of plus 30. The junior has helped lead the Raiders to a 22-6 mark this season and they face Apple Valley in the Section 3AAAA finals Thursday.

Wheeler Baker
The Albany signee has helped the Orioles to a 20-7 mark and a second seed in the Section 5AAAA playoffs. The record is a bit misleading as they lost four straight games by a combined nine points without center Ian Theisen. Baker is averaging 23.3 points per game and has scored in double figures in all but two contests. He has six games of more than 30 points, including a season-high 41 points versus Robbinsdale Armstrong.

Reid Travis

Travis was the last player I picked for my first team. That is not because of his talent level. The McDonald’s All-American is averaging 19.4 points per game and would have scored even more if his Islanders had not consistently blown out their opponents and had plenty of other talented scorers on their roster. However, he did miss nine games, three of which the Islanders lost. They have not lost a game with him in the lineup and are the prohibitive favorite to win a third straight Class AAA title. He scored in double figures in all but one game and had a season-high 28 points in their first round playoff win over St. Anthony Village. They face Spring lake Park Tuesday.

JP is a stud player and I think he gets overlooked here because of the "big 3", but any other year JP would be getting a lot of attention. Its why I am so disappointed we missed out on him. Here is latest highlight video for those of you who have never saw him play.

Still can't believe we missed out on Macura. That kid is a player.

We really needed/need a difference maker wing in this class.

i knew he is one of the best shooters in 2014 which is his niche but that athleticism at 0:11 and his very good size for a 2 at 6-5 makes it hard to swallow that we missed out on him.

Ouch reopened a wound. I was pretty sure he was going to be a gopher. Frustrating

I remember at the time we were recruiting him a lot of us were not too sure if we liked him, and we questioned his athleticism. He looks pretty athletic to me, I'd say he is a more athletic version of hoffarber. With the struggles we have had shooting the ball with malik, austin, etc. it sure would have been nice to have a shooter coming in for next year who has the ability to pull it down and drive or pass like JP

Tubby never offered him. By the time Pitino got here, it was too late to build a relationship.

Is this a class of 2014 team? Because I thought Sam Neumann is class of 2015.

Tubby never offered him. By the time Pitino got here, it was too late to build a relationship.

No one offered him, He was not on anyone's rader until the summer, Xavier, the team he picked, offered after pitino and gophers did, you can blame tubby on a lot of things, but this is not one of them. We straight up lost this kid

Is this a class of 2014 team? Because I thought Sam Neumann is class of 2015.

no, its the top players in the metro period, I'm really intrigued by Neumann, and what kind of interest he will get from D1 schools

No one offered him, He was not on anyone's rader until the summer, Xavier, the team he picked, offered after pitino and gophers did, you can blame tubby on a lot of things, but this is not one of them. We straight up lost this kid

Could be, but I recall he was practically begging the Gophers to give him a call. As of early last summer, he still hadn't heard a peep. Right in our back hard.

Still can't believe we missed out on Macura. That kid is a player.

We really needed/need a difference maker wing in this class.

He's exactly the type of player we need to get off the bubble, bubble next season.

Could be, but I recall he was practically begging the Gophers to give him a call. As of early last summer, he still hadn't heard a peep. Right in our back hard.

yup, and pitino was the coach at the time, sounded like he was irritated by the pitino and staff not offering right away because they had their sights on players like vaughn, whitehead, cohen and others. This will likely be a good lesson for pitino and staff that if there is a sure thing and he is deserving go get him.

It was clear from the beginning that he felt slighted. Not so much as a f'ing phone call until early last summer.

I think you have your timing off, Pitino was the coach when he blew up in AAU ball, pitino definitely kept in touch with him but did not offer right away, and reports were that he did not like the fact that the coaching staff didn't want him to be their first option. No way you can pin this on tubby, He was unknown before AAU ball, all his offers came after that fact. Besides the team he committed to offered after pitino and the gophers did, so you can't say it was due to lack of relationship. The staff seems to have gotten off on the wrong foot with him

It was clear from the beginning that he felt slighted. Not so much as a f'ing phone call until early last summer.

Pitino got here in April. Macura is a 3*. Not every kid starts to get recruited in the 3rd grade. Coach P. and staff missed, pure and simple.

I think you have your timing off, Pitino was the coach when he blew up in AAU ball, pitino definitely kept in touch with him but did not offer right away, and reports were that he did not like the fact that the coaching staff didn't want him to be their first option. No way you can pin this on tubby, He was unknown before AAU ball, all his offers came after that fact. Besides the team he committed to offered after pitino and the gophers did, so you can't say it was due to lack of relationship. The staff seems to have gotten off on the wrong foot with him

You're right. Pitino contacted in April, and offered in July. My timing was off. Everyone effed up, but I still can't believe the kid didn't even get a look until last Spring. I'll just drop it, but this one is really tough to swallow.

Pitino got here in April. Macura is a 3*. Not every kid starts to get recruited in the 3rd grade. Coach P. and staff missed, pure and simple.

He's a 4 star for every site but ESPN.

Reggie Meyer for 5th ranked Totino Grace average 25ppg and 11 rebounds and hit double digits every game except one. He also accounted for 30% of teams scoring. Neumann accounted for less than 20 percent of teams scoring. Brendan Witt of 23-2 Champlin Park averaged 17 pts and 8 rebounds per game for the 3rd ranked team in the state.

We whiffed on Macura. Down the road I think he's the one who'll be regarded as the new staff's first true mistake. Kudos to Chris Mack at Xavier for hanging on to Macura after our too-late offer.

We whiffed on Macura. Down the road I think he's the one who'll be regarded as the new staff's first true mistake. Kudos to Chris Mack at Xavier for hanging on to Macura after our too-late offer.

How is the offer too late if we offered before Xavier?

Am I mistaken? I thought Xavier was on him before our new staff was?

You are correct. According to 247, Xavier offered on June 24 and we offered on July 11. I was going by what another poster said rather than fact-checking myself. Especially given who the poster is, I shouldn't have assumed that he knew what he was talking about. Lesson learned.

I don't think Macura wanted to go to a big school. I think he just wanted to have the home state school offer on his resume.

You are correct. According to 247, Xavier offered on June 24 and we offered on July 11. I was going by what another poster said rather than fact-checking myself. Especially given who the poster is, I shouldn't have assumed that he knew what he was talking about. Lesson learned.

No sweat. I wasn't sure about it.

Am I mistaken? I thought Xavier was on him before our new staff was?

Xavier offered him first, but Pitino's staff was reportedly on him right away. Xavier offered in June, Minnesota in July.

This article is from April 24th.

But still, when he got a call on Tuesday evening – the voice on the other end being that of new Gophers coach Richard Pitino – Macura could only react with surprise.

“Mainly I just wasn’t expecting to hear from Pitino this early because he just got the job,” Macura said. “I wasn’t completely surprised, but I would expect not to have heard from him so soon. I would think maybe like months from now, but I’m glad that he got out to me already, and that just shows that he’s interested.”

By all accounts, Pitino, has been working the phones early in his tenure – his first day in the office was April 10 – and while the Gophers haven’t yet offered Macura, they’ve expressed significant interest already.

Macura was first contacted by Mike Balado (who has since resigned from his brief position with the Gophers) and assistant Kimani Young about a week ago. Ben Johnson – who had started recruiting Macura when he was under Tim Miles at Nebraska last season -- has texted with him regularly, the junior said. When Pitino called, he indicated that he’d like to get the Lakeville North guard up to Minnesota for a visit and to talk with him further. Macura said he expects to do so sometime in May.

“I’m just blessed and happy that I’ve even gotten the opportunity to talk to him and I’m looking forward to building a relationship with him and the coaching staff and getting to know them a lot better, Macura said.”

Macura – who currently has offers from 13 schools, he said – doesn’t have any official visits planned yet (the only ones he’s taken so far have been unofficials), but he already has a timeline in mind of how quickly he’d like to make The Big Decision. During his AAU season, he plans to formulate a short list of schools he’d like to officially visit. By the fall, he thinks he’ll have a winner.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/204514521.html

Yea, I remember xavier being on him after the gophers and people were dumb founded that he picked xavier, people thought it was butler or us since we they were the 2 schools on him the earliest in terms of being in touch with him, but I guess Xavier offered a little before us, my mistake

Yea, I remember xavier being on him after the gophers and people were dumb founded that he picked xavier, people thought it was butler or us since we they were the 2 schools on him the earliest in terms of being in touch with him, but I guess Xavier offered a little before us, my mistake

Both Wisconsin and Nebraska had been in touch with him.

January 08, 2013

Wisconsin Badgers
Coach Visit:

Coach from Wisconsin Badgers watches J.P. Macura

http://247sports.com/Player/JP-Macura-28018/TimelineEvents

Ben Johnson – who had started recruiting Macura when he was under Tim Miles at Nebraska last season --

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/204514521.html

Top Bottom