Cody Lindenberg

Do we know his injury//status for coming back this year

Fleck indicated at his Press Conference that it's very possible that Lindenberg will play in the four November games. Starting with November 4th at the Bank against Illinois. Limiting him to 4 games will preserve his redshirt.

Last edited:

Someone sussed out what they’re doing: they’re holding him out on purpose so as to only play him in the last four games plus bowl game. That way he gets to take a redshirt for this year. Not a medical, just a regular redshirt.

Edit @Iceland12 beat me to it!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lindenberg and Baranoski will both have three years of eligibility remaining after this year. This does seem crazy.

Will there be a problem here?

We do play three true LB’s at times?

If the fastest/most athletic LB of the trio (D Will?) can cover as well as a “big nickle”, there could be times where he plays that position as well.

Last edited:

The play we will get from the LBs next year is going to fantastic.

Maverick and D Williams are getting better game by game this year. They are still sucking a little at covering their areas and not biting on the play action when it comes to their pass defense, but their gap control in the run D gets better week by week.

Add Cody to that for a full season next year and we will have a great back end of the front 7.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lindenberg and Baranoski will both have three years of eligibility remaining after this year. This does seem crazy.

No. But does anybody know if they changed the rule to allow redshirt players to play in a same year bowl game without changing their status? For example could Lindenberg play the November games and then in a December bowl game and still redshirt? Or could he only play in a January game?

@Iceland12 Yes they changed the rule to four regular season games plus a bowl game. I recall that.

The season always includes the post-season anyway, so Dec vs Jan wouldn’t matter.

I don’t recall how conf championship games and multiple CFP games factor in it.

No. But does anybody know if they changed the rule to allow redshirt players to play in a same year bowl game without changing their status? For example could Lindenberg play the November games and then in a December bowl game and still redshirt? Or could he only play in a January game?
I'm pretty sure all bowl games don't count in the 4 games.

Fleck indicated at his Press Conference that it's very possible that Lindenberg will play in the 4 November games. Starting with November 4th at the Bank against Illinois. Limiting him to 4 games will preserve his redshirt.
... use up his redshirt season? 2023 won't count as an actual season, if he only plays in 4 games.

I think this is wrong.

2020: Didn't count (his first season
2021: RS - he played in one game and was injured
2022: FR season
2023: SO - he already burned his RS in 2021

I could be wrong, but I think he'll be a 5th year JR next year.

I think this is wrong.

Unless the ncaa treated 2021 as an injury year, instead of redshirt year.

Unless the ncaa treated 2021 as an injury year, instead of redshirt year.
Things have changed a lot recently, so I might not be as up on the rules but you used to have had to have not burned a RS before getting a medical hardship waiver. I don't know if that's the case anymore, probably not.

I think this is wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is correct. He's listed as a RS JR on the roster this year, kind of odd that it's not a RS SO, but it says he has 3 years of eligibility remaining including this year.

Regardless if 21 was a medical or just a regular sit out year, he would have four more seasons to participate in with 22 being the first. So 22-25 under normal circumstances.

If he did have a medical for 21, that would also extend his overall clock an additional year, putting 2026 back on the table if he had eligibility left for that season. Otherwise, his clock runs out after 25, regardless if he has eligibility left.

He would very easily meet the requirements for a medical in 21, so would be shocked if they did not pursue that.

And that in turn would allow them to have this year not use up eligibility by playing in only 4 games.

Last edited:

I believe they don't award medical red-shirts until your eligibility is up. So he should have two years left and possibly a 3rd with an added medical year.

I believe they don't award medical red-shirts until your eligibility is up. So he should have two years left and possibly a 3rd with an added medical year.
Also to be eligible for the medical hardship waiver the injury has to occur in the 1st half of the season and the player doesn't play the rest of the year. If he plays at all the rest of the way, he isn't eligible.

@MaxyJR1 not correct and not sure if I even understand what you said correctly. Players receive medical hardship waiver in the middle of their career, all the time. We’ve had several in Fleck’s tenure. CrAB for example.

@GophersInIowa the medical would have been for 2021, if they pursued it. He definitely would’ve qualified. Correct that he wouldn’t this year. This year would just be a regular redshirt, meaning he would not use up a season of eligibility but the year counted on his clock. End result being, if he got a medical for 21 (extend clock a year) then he could play in 26 if desired.

@MaxyJR1 not correct and not sure if I even understand what you said correctly. Players receive medical hardship waiver in the middle of their career, all the time. We’ve had several in Fleck’s tenure. CrAB for example.

@GophersInIowa the medical would have been for 2021, if they pursued it. He definitely would’ve qualified. Correct that he wouldn’t this year. This year would just be a regular redshirt, meaning he would not use up a season of eligibility but the year counted on his clock. End result being, if he got a medical for 21 (extend clock a year) then he could play in 26 if desired.
Ah, didn't think of that. You are correct.

Given that major college football has now become de jure professional ball with NIL, why are there any eligibility restrictions? The NCAA should allow players to stay with their teams as long as they want to and the teams want them. And what's the point of academic requirements. If you think these acidic remarks are preposterous, ask yourself if, ten years ago, you'd believe some college players are now millionaires.

Let’s just get him back on the field in the world. Worry about the future later.

Let’s just get him back on the field in the world. Worry about the future later.
No, at this point it is most important he not lose this year. If he can play four games in November, the title game in Indy, and a bowl, that would be great.

Given that major college football has now become de jure professional ball with NIL, why are there any eligibility restrictions? The NCAA should allow players to stay with their teams as long as they want to and the teams want them. And what's the point of academic requirements. If you think these acidic remarks are preposterous, ask yourself if, ten years ago, you'd believe some college players are now millionaires.
You make a valid point about college football moving towards being essentially professional football, given the pay for play NIL income that some players get. My biggest fear is that the rich will become richer as they quietly and illegally poach highly successful players from other teams. That success will bring in even more NIL sponsors and enlarge the pool of dollars so even more players get a share, which helps their recruiting . But not all players get NIL, nor do all teams. Some players are actually interested in an education, so classroom attendance is required. And of course the teams need to bring in new players every year, as some players move on to the NFL or CFL and others move on to their first job after college.

You make a valid point about college football moving towards being essentially professional football, given the pay for play NIL income that some players get. My biggest fear is that the rich will become richer as they quietly and illegally poach highly successful players from other teams. That success will bring in even more NIL sponsors and enlarge the pool of dollars so even more players get a share, which helps their recruiting . But not all players get NIL, nor do all teams. Some players are actually interested in an education, so classroom attendance is required. And of course the teams need to bring in new players every year, as some players move on to the NFL or CFL and others move on to their first job after college.
Players who are interested in the education need not be required to attend. I agree that all the talent will agglomerate in a few schools -- even more than has already happened. We're seeing a large and rapid change to college football. This is why I increasingly follow D2 and D3 football. Student athletes. Thanks for your reply.

Top Bottom