Cockran hit: Fair or Foul?

Protecting Qbs is one of the most hypocritical things football has done lately, not a flag, not a foul unless you are going to neuter the sport. A fullback or a TE shouldn't absorb the same hit for no flag. My opinion: Let the sport remain a collision sport and better educate player on risks, don't change the rules to favor glory positions like QB or WR

Without healthy QB's football is not a good product. They are educating and in Mn alone there are programs reporting 20%-30% drops in participation.

It was called, (and rightfully so) as a personal foul.

It would have been 4th and 16, and instead it gave them a 1st down all the way out to the 40 yd line. (If I remember correctly)

Cochran HAS to know better in that situation.

It was called, (and rightfully so) as a personal foul.

It would have been 4th and 16, and instead it gave them a 1st down all the way out to the 40 yd line. (If I remember correctly)

Cochran HAS to know better in that situation.

Totally agree there, thankfully it didn't come back to bite us but in that particular situation there was no need for that type of hit to begin with and I have a sneaking suspicion the coaches are going to make that point very clear to TC in meetings this week.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the B1G could suspend Cockran even though he wasn't ejected during the game. Not that I think it will happen, but I think they're allowed to.

20 years ago this was a great hit.

Today we're lucky he didn't get kicked out of football for life.

he hits him with his shoulder, a foul, but not a bad one

20 years ago we didn't know what we do about head injuries. 20 years ago the players were a lot smaller and less powerful then they are now. They certainly go overboard with the protection from time to time but I am all for targeting being eliminated from the game.

he hits him with his shoulder, a foul, but not a bad one

If he doesn't leave his feet and hits the QB in the chest it would have been fine. Problem is he does leave his feet and the hit goes up towards the head of the QB. Thankfully he does seem to get him with the shoulder more then the helmet but on a play like that the potential for a serious injury is there which is why they are trying to get hits like that out of the game.

Just a normal personal foul for roughing the passer not worthy of being kicked out or a suspension.

One no-call that bothered me was when the Michigan punt returner called for a fair catch and then started returning the punt anyways. Isn't that a penalty?

One no-call that bothered me was when the Michigan punt returner called for a fair catch and then started returning the punt anyways. Isn't that a penalty?

Should've been yes. Refs did an extremely poor job yesterday (that one, the ghost face mask, missing the late hit on Leidner, etc)

Got Cochran one right imo though. For sure a roughing the passer and 15 yds but not ejection worthy. My real question is why in the hell was Morris still in at that point?

Should've been yes. Refs did an extremely poor job yesterday (that one, the ghost face mask, missing the late hit on Leidner, etc)

Got Cochran one right imo though. For sure a roughing the passer and 15 yds but not ejection worthy. My real question is why in the hell was Morris still in at that point?

Even worse, he took the next snap after the big hit before being replaced.

By letter of the law he should have been kicked out. He launched.

Considering he hit him in the number with his shoulder I'm glad he didn't get ejected. Stupid rule. If you don't trust your refs to make judgement calls and instead have a one size fits all model what does it say about the refs?

The forwards pass used to be illegal.
Chop blocks and head slaps used to be legal.
Blocking below the waist outside the free blocking zone is next to be illegal.

The game evolves and for the good of the gladiators, I mean players.

No longer a penalty.

No longer a penalty.

It is, as it was called in another game yesterday. However, the other one was egregious. Can't remember the game last night. It's a five yard delay of game.

He should've been tossed. The GIF is misleading ... the hit looks much worse from the other angle.

I hate most QBs. If they are not on "my" team love to see attitude and pop. Anything short of a stupid penalty or blatant intent to injure normally makes me smile.

As to the announcers, they seem "targeting" and ejection happy, in several games I have watched. But then when you consider most of their backgrounds it makes more sense, as to their bias.

I hate most QBs. If they are not on "my" team love to see attitude and pop. Anything short of a stupid penalty or blatant intent to injure normally makes me smile.

You obviously played on defense.

As to the announcers, they seem "targeting" and ejection happy, in several games I have watched. But then when you consider most of their backgrounds it makes more sense, as to their bias.

I agree, now if it is a physical dual threat like Streveler that isn't afraid to sacrifice his body than I say they might not quite deserve it but I love seeing non athletic cowardly pocket passers get drilled.

It is, as it was called in another game yesterday. However, the other one was egregious. Can't remember the game last night. It's a five yard delay of game.

You're right, they changed the penalty to "more than two steps" on a valid signal. Strangely, if an invalid signal is given there is no penalty and the ball is dead where caught. Goofy. That might be what happened in the Gopher game.

No Advance
ARTICLE 2. No Team B player shall carry a caught or recovered ball more than two steps in any direction after any Team B player gives a valid or invalid fair
catch signal (A.R. 6-5-2-I-III).
PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. Five yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S21].

Invalid Signals: Catch or Recovery
ARTICLE 3. a. A catch after an invalid signal is not a fair catch, and the ball is dead where caught or recovered. If the signal follows a catch or recovery, the
ball is dead when the signal is first given (A.R. 6-5-1-I).

20 years ago it would have been legal and thank god football is improving itself. Have you seen some of the condition some of these athletes are in later in life? Football is a fantastic game and yesterday was a prime example of how perfect the game can be. We didn't need the hit on Morris to add excitement. His brain really didn't need that hit either. I think refs can go way to far in protecting the QB, but Cockran was properly flagged on that play. The fact that kind of play is a penalty is an improvement to the sport.

Should he have been kicked out? Hard to say. I'd probably say no.

It wasn't called...we're all Gopher fans (I know that's false, but what the hell) so let's just be happy he'll be available for the first half of the next game!

Top Bottom