Cobbs

Is not playing very well tonight
He's doing okay but he's getting a lot of floor time. This is making me wonder if Tubby is testing him because he knows something about Nolen .... I hope not.

seems like all of lucas' pts have come against cobbs that's what I meant...I suppose as a frosh on the road it is to be expected. Nolen is having a heck of a game

burtonfan...Cobbs is a Frosh, playing the intensity of the BT, on the road. Would not like to see what you would do out there, so please back off.

dude all I said was he wasn't playing very well....I am pretty sure I would also struggle out there, although I am also not a division 1 basketball player.

OK, burtonfan, I'll rephrase that...Who are you to judge?

OK, burtonfan, I'll rephrase that...Who are you to judge?

Why does everyone have to take everything so personally on this board? burtonfan was merely making an observation, not a personal attack on JC.

Just a gopher fan who while watching the game made an observation that it seemed like he wan't playing very good defense, I then rephrased it by saying it is probably to be expected....is it not legal on the board to say that someone may not be playing well?

Why does everyone have to take everything so personally on this board? burtonfan was merely making an observation, not a personal attack on JC.

This is why you need to be careful of what you say. If you are going to put it out there, be ready for the backlash!!

Can't stand the heat get out of THE BARN!!

Cobbs didn't play very well, period. Good point above that perhaps Tubby knows something and wanted to throw Cobbs in the fire in case he's about to see a dramatic rise in playing time. There were about 5-6 minutes of play where I was absolutely BAFFLED because Paul Carter and Cobbs remained in the game (and weren't contributing) and Nolen and Hoff sat on the bench. I am always loyal to Tubby, and trust his judgment, but I just don't see how you give yourself the best chance to win with those guys on the bench. Once they returned is when our run started again and we brought ourselves back to within a few points.

Cobbs didn't play very well, period. Good point above that perhaps Tubby knows something and wanted to throw Cobbs in the fire in case he's about to see a dramatic rise in playing time. There were about 5-6 minutes of play where I was absolutely BAFFLED because Paul Carter and Cobbs remained in the game (and weren't contributing) and Nolen and Hoff sat on the bench. I am always loyal to Tubby, and trust his judgment, but I just don't see how you give yourself the best chance to win with those guys on the bench. Once they returned is when our run started again and we brought ourselves back to within a few points.

+1. Cobbs was the worst player on the floor tonight, by a ways, and that includes a pretty inept rest of the bench. In the first half he had a stretch of really bad play on both ends. That being send, I didn't expect to win tonight, and playing at MSU is a tough spot for a freshman.

i though Cobbs filled in with good minutes. That is one of the best teams in the country with very good guards and he is a freshman.

I also thought Josephs played decently. He rimmed out a couple of shots that looked like they might go in in the first half. He makes those and the game is close or tied at halftime.

Cobbs had a rough game, but I'm excited for him in the future. If there is any game for a freshman to struggle, it would be on the road against a Top-10 team.

It's normal for a freshman to struggle, sure, I wasn't expecting Cobbs to come in and start creating shots for himself a la Lawrence Westbrook, I thought he managed the game OK, but the fact that our offense didn't start really clicking and coming together until the possessions where he was back on the bench says a lot. Our bench production (as I'm sure is being said all over the board tonight) was horrifying, and while Cobbs isn't necessarily at FAULT for it, he certainly was part of the problem. Now here is the obligatory "I can't do any better, I'm not a D1 basketball player" mea culpa before people start tearing into me for tearing into him.

You don't need to defend players every time. There's nothing wrong with him saying that Cobbs struggled tonight. I don't think Cobbs would object to that either. Even if he happened to read the post, I think he could handle it. Part of playing at this level is being subject to criticism. Our whole bench was pitiful tonight. I think all of them would agree that they had a bad game, and they probably wouldn't care if people on here said so.

burtonfan...Cobbs is a Frosh, playing the intensity of the BT, on the road. Would not like to see what you would do out there, so please back off.

Cobbs is a freshman who played against one of the best teams in the coiuntry. You can't play Nolen the entire game at the pace he plays defense. Cobbs is clearly a PG while Westbrook and Joseph are not. Cobbs gets minutes and he will get better and better.

Cobbs had a rough game, but I'm excited for him in the future. If there is any game for a freshman to struggle, it would be on the road against a Top-10 team.

+1

Very rough game. Brutal pass to Iverson of all people just past half-court. Mistakes by freshman are to expected. I doubt anyone has given up on him.

Cobbs made one one critical mistake on the "intentional foul" but other than that his errors were no worse than the TOs by senior Westbrook and the missed catches of on target passes by our big men.

Invaluable experience for a guy that will be expected to lead the team in the future. Road game, hostile environment, tough guards. He had a rough game, but will learn and get better. Think he may have a little more confidence when we go to IU and play against their guards? If you don't get him in the mix you go back a step.

Top Bottom