Cobb for Heisman

gopherswag

Reaction score
If the Gophers would win out, very tough but not as far fetched as some believe (Ohio State has shown weakness, as well as Nebraska and Wisconsin, Iowa not looking nearly as good as predicted) should Cobb deserve any Heisman consideration? 92 carries 539 yards 5.9 yds/carry and 4 touchdowns already.

If the Gophers would win out, very tough but not as far fetched as some believe (Ohio State has shown weakness, as well as Nebraska and Wisconsin, Iowa not looking nearly as good as predicted) should Cobb deserve any Heisman consideration? 92 carries 539 yards 5.9 yds/carry and 4 touchdowns already.

Your Kool Aid is very strong...I like it.

If they win out and continue passing like they have, he will have a shot.

Not going to rag on you like some of the rubes on here surely will (although I do like your outlook!), but I agree to some extent with your sentiment. I haven't looked at the exact stats, but if Ameer Abdullah is getting some Heisman consideration at this point of the year then there is no reason that David Cobb shouldn't be too. Imo, Cobb has been just as good as Abdullah the last 2 seasons and is having a really nice start to this season. Fair is fair right?

Not going to rag on you like some of the rubes on here surely will (although I do like your outlook!), but I agree to some extent with your sentiment. I haven't looked at the exact stats, but if Ameer Abdullah is getting some Heisman consideration at this point of the year then there is no reason that David Cobb shouldn't be too. Imo, Cobb has been just as good as Abdullah the last 2 seasons and is having a really nice start to this season. Fair is fair right?

The Big Ten this year reminds me of Terry Ryan's quote when signing Kendrys Morales. "Why not us?" The west is WIDE OPEN. The Gophers have as good a chance as anyone to make noise and Cobb will be the workhorse. The key is not getting off to slow starts and getting behind because we have no passing game to this point.

He is on the Doak Walker Award watch list (with about 50 other RBs). The best I see if he continues would be 1st Team All-B1G. I don't think he's got the break-away speed that would be necessary to get consideration for a Heisman nor is he a media favorite that always seems to garner votes. What I see is a Blue Collar running back that is a leader. Those two combinations get you playing on Sundays.

Bottom line: he's really, really good; but not major award worthy.

Fair is fair. Yep.

However, this is a pipe dream unless the Gophers go 10-2 or better. When is the last time a Heisman winner was selected from a team that went, say, 8-4? OP says we have to win out, and that may in fact be the case given the negative national perception of our program.

We just completed 1 pass Saturday and now we are winning out and getting the Heisman. I love GopherHole. (not sarcastic).

I personally think the award is a sham. They might as well add a team component (i.e. player must play on Top 10 team) to the award, because that is what it always comes down to. Same as MVP in NFL.

From Wikipedia:
The Heisman Memorial Trophy Award (usually known colloquially as the Heisman Trophy or the Heisman), is awarded annually to the most outstanding player in college football in the United States whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.

IF Chris Darkins can have a post card campaign for Heisman why not David Cobb.

Fair is fair. Yep.

However, this is a pipe dream unless the Gophers go 10-2 or better. When is the last time a Heisman winner was selected from a team that went, say, 8-4? OP says we have to win out, and that may in fact be the case given the negative national perception of our program.

We just completed 1 pass Saturday and now we are winning out and getting the Heisman. I love GopherHole. (not sarcastic).

I personally think the award is a sham. They might as well add a team component (i.e. player must play on Top 10 team) to the award, because that is what it always comes down to. Same as MVP in NFL.

Why not David Cobb, it is going to take a whole lot of making guys miss and making the right cuts, and the offensive line giving him the running lanes but if they can come together and play hard, who knows maybe they can do something that "special". David Cobb is a pretty good tailback but your only as good as the line in front of you, for a tailback it takes an O-line kicking some butt and taking names.

Fair is fair. Yep.

I believe that'd be Tim Brown, 1987 Notre Dame. A few guys from 3-loss teams in there since (including Griffin a few years back).

The key point was that the Gophers win out. Likely? No. But if the Gophers go 8-0 and then win the Big Ten championship, they will be right around 5 in the rankings. With their storied history followed by 50 years of mediocrity, the Gophers would be the biggest story in CFB. Presumably Cobb would also be. Cobb also has a nice back-story (third string until a year ago).

Won't happen but if it does, I would pencil Cobb's name into the Heisman finalists and a possible winner.

Wait, you're being serious?? I love the gophers as much as anyone else on the board, but it is beyond far-fetched.

1) We lost to an unranked TCU team by 23 points. I don't think we are suddenly in a position to beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, OSU, Iowa etc... Now can we come out with a victory in 1 or 2 of those games? Sure! But we are a heavy underdog going into all four games.
2) David Cobb (and the O-Line) has to prove they can be consistent from game to game, and that they are ready to show up against good teams.
3) We need SOME passing attack whatsoever. Without one, teams will completely key in on the running game and then we're screwed.

The key point was that the Gophers win out. Likely? No. But if the Gophers go 8-0 and then win the Big Ten championship, they will be right around 5 in the rankings. With their storied history followed by 50 years of mediocrity, the Gophers would be the biggest story in CFB. Presumably Cobb would also be. Cobb also has a nice back-story (third string until a year ago).

Won't happen but if it does, I would pencil Cobb's name into the Heisman finalists and a possible winner.

Why not!?

kool4.jpg

Wait, you're being serious?? I love the gophers as much as anyone else on the board, but it is beyond far-fetched.

1) We lost to an unranked TCU team by 23 points. I don't think we are suddenly in a position to beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, OSU, Iowa etc... Now can we come out with a victory in 1 or 2 of those games? Sure! But we are a heavy underdog going into all four games.
2) David Cobb (and the O-Line) has to prove they can be consistent from game to game, and that they are ready to show up against good teams.
3) We need SOME passing attack whatsoever. Without one, teams will completely key in on the running game and then we're screwed.

The question was what would happen if the Gophers won out, not speculation that the Gophers would win out. It's unlikely, but not unthinkable. It is easy enough to entertain unlikely ideas. But even if the Gophers did win out, I don't know if that would be enough to sway the voters away from the candidates they are already considering.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Only a hypothetical. I realize winning out is a slim slim possibility with our deficiencies but I was only wondering with perception of Big Ten and Gophers recent history..how much consideration would Cobb receive?

Only a hypothetical. I realize winning out is a slim slim possibility with our deficiencies but I was only wondering with perception of Big Ten and Gophers recent history..how much consideration would Cobb receive?

I guess if we look at historical context, here's the last few running backs to finish in the top 4 of voting:

2013: Andre Williams (2,177 yards, 18 TDs, 7-6 team - finished fourth in voting)
2011: Trent Richardson (1,679 yards, 21 TDs, 12-1 team - finished third in voting)
2011: Montee Ball (1,923 yards, 33 TDs, 11-3 team - finished fourth in voting)
2010: Lamichael James (1,731 yards, 21 TDs, 12-1 team - finished third in voting)
2009: Mark Ingram (1,658 yards, 17 TDs, 14-0 team - finished first in voting)
2009: Toby Gerhart (1,871 yards, 28 TDs, 8-5 team - finished second in voting)

Cobb is on pace right now to rush for 1,751 yards and 13 TDs in a 13-game season. So, unless Cobb starts performing better (I know, tough to imagine, but we're talking about a really high bar here) I don't think he'd be near the top of the conversation, even with a 9-3 or 10-2 team.

He is on the Doak Walker Award watch list (with about 50 other RBs). The best I see if he continues would be 1st Team All-B1G. I don't think he's got the break-away speed that would be necessary to get consideration for a Heisman nor is he a media favorite that always seems to garner votes. What I see is a Blue Collar running back that is a leader. Those two combinations get you playing on Sundays.

Bottom line: he's really, really good; but not major award worthy.

Toby Gerhart got himself into consideration with that exact same style. Just takes continually throwing up the numbers

Right now, Cobb is the fourth best RB in the Big Ten. I just can't see that perception changing, even if the Gophers win out. Cobb's doing what he can right now. Winning out would require a big improvement in passing and the rest of the offense. He'd be a big story if the Gophers somehow pulled off a magical season, but not a Heisman candidate.

Let's face it. The Heisman is awarded to the top offensive player on a winning/marquee team that plays most of its games on national TV. I could potentially see Cobb receiving some trophy consideration if he has a really big year, but not the Heisman.

Tebow won the Heisman for a 9-4 Gators team in 2007. Of course, he had one of the greatest seasons in the history of college football...so there's that.

I guess if we look at historical context, here's the last few running backs to finish in the top 4 of voting:

2013: Andre Williams (2,177 yards, 18 TDs, 7-6 team - finished fourth in voting)
2011: Trent Richardson (1,679 yards, 21 TDs, 12-1 team - finished third in voting)
2011: Montee Ball (1,923 yards, 33 TDs, 11-3 team - finished fourth in voting)
2010: Lamichael James (1,731 yards, 21 TDs, 12-1 team - finished third in voting)
2009: Mark Ingram (1,658 yards, 17 TDs, 14-0 team - finished first in voting)
2009: Toby Gerhart (1,871 yards, 28 TDs, 8-5 team - finished second in voting)

Cobb is on pace right now to rush for 1,751 yards and 13 TDs in a 13-game season. So, unless Cobb starts performing better (I know, tough to imagine, but we're talking about a really high bar here) I don't think he'd be near the top of the conversation, even with a 9-3 or 10-2 team.

+1, this is what I was contemplating. Cobb would have to play better. He needs gaudy stats to be in the conversation. While that sounds ridiculous, if we were to win out, Cobb probably would be playing better.

Ironically, it is harder for Cobb to earn stats because we suck at passing. Whereas, a guy like Mariotta, can really just do what he does, and he'll probably win the award. Meanwhile, Cobb has to work harder for each unit of credit (stats), because the focus is purely on him.

In reality, Cobb probably doesn't have enough help to win. Not that Gophs ain't good enough, but the guys that are considered for Heisman are super system guys, such as, Ron Dayne, David Klinger, Andre Ware, etc. or the QB on an extremely great team. Bottom line is: The system or team's collective ability is a necessary precondition to create stats that will get him noticed enough for consideration. Add in the lack of National attention to create the ad naseum necessary for his name to prime the committee decision making, and he has a huge hill to climb.

I hate to write this, but why are so many people down on Wisconsin? They were highly competitive against LSU, and dominated two inferior opponents - what else were people expecting from them? Their new QB is improving, just like any decent first year QB should (why can't our QBs ever improve?).

They're definitely the team to beat in the West.

I hate to write this, but why are so many people down on Wisconsin? They were highly competitive against LSU, and dominated two inferior opponents - what else were people expecting from them? Their new QB is improving, just like any decent first year QB should (why can't our QBs ever improve?).

It was posted by others after the 1st game that MN would not trade our QB liine up for the QB line up at WI. they were wrong then and they are wrong now.

Wisconsin's passing game struggles are more to do with the lack of quality receiving talent. McEvoy has played better each week but their WR's and TE's will need to step up big time for them to be the "team to beat". Big ten defenses are not as porous as Bowling Green.

Still think Wisco wins 9 or 10 this year, unfortunately. By a pretty wide margin their toughest game appears to be vs. Nebraska in Camp Randall. Might lose that one, might lose at Iowa the following week .. but frankly, barring injuries, will be (and should be) at least touchdown favorites in the rest of their games, particularly now that Paul James is done for the year in Piscataway. Hate the damn Badgers but it's the reality of the situation.

The Big Ten this year reminds me of Terry Ryan's quote when signing Kendrys Morales. "Why not us?" The west is WIDE OPEN. The Gophers have as good a chance as anyone to make noise ....

I have little to say about the Heisman speculation but I absolutely love this quote/mindset. Like he said the west is WIDE OPEN! THere's no reason that we can't go into The Big House and take home the Jug this week. I've read alot of "i think we could do it, but..." kind of thoughts and I say we throw that out the window. Big Blue just lost to Utah at HOME. Their offense is in shambles and the fans have the pitchforks sharpened and torches lit waiting to run Hoke out of town. Lets give them a reason to go and do it! I think Streveler looks the part and just needs more reps to get to being a serviceable guy as a sophomore. Winning is largely built with talent and execution on the field but our team also needs a fan base that believes. Why do you think Michigan always seems to play well against us? Because the believe they are better. Once our players, and almost as important our fans, start thinking this way, that we have more than just a chance to win every game, that is when our program will really turn the corner.

SKI-U-MAH! Let's take home The Jug this weekend!

0% chance, even if Cobb rushes for 1500 yards and the Gophers finish 11-1.

I haven't looked at the exact stats, but if Ameer Abdullah is getting some Heisman consideration at this point of the year then there is no reason that David Cobb shouldn't be too. Imo, Cobb has been just as good as Abdullah the last 2 seasons and is having a really nice start to this season. Fair is fair right?
Both are in the top 10 in the NCAA:
2. Abdullah: 92 carries, 625 yards (6.8 ypc), 5 TDs
6. Cobb: 92 carries, 539 yards (5.9 ypc), 4 TDs

0% chance, even if Cobb rushes for 1500 yards and the Gophers finish 11-1.

If the team finished 11-1 and Cobb was the offensive star for the entire season he would certainly get Heisman consideration. The chances of both those things happening are at your 0% though in my opinion. Cobb has great numbers so far, but he has also had monster games against two of the worst rushing defenses in division 1 football right now. The one game we played against a good defense he didn't crack 50 yards, so while I think he is a quality back I don't think he approaches the level of a back that would be in Heisman consideration.

My dream season

Their offense is in shambles and the fans have the pitchforks sharpened and torches lit waiting to run Hoke out of town. Lets give them a reason to go and do it!

My ideal year is beating Michigan, Illinois, and Nebraska. For the shear reason that it could end the tenure of the respective head coaches. With these three programs rebuilding* it would help the Gophers make the jump to upper middle of the pack.

* I know that rebuilding Michigan and Nebraska will be more along the lines of cleaning a house rather than building a house as in Illinois' case

Top Bottom