Coaching Skill vs Coaching Culture

gophernut1

Reaction score
This my friends is a great example of coaching skill vs. coaching culture. Fleck is a more skilled head coach with coaches I believe are more skilled at developing players than Iowa. I believe we are a more skilled coaching staff, but our staff coaches to not lose vs. coaching to win. This puts us in close games where we should not lose and games where we are the better team we lose. Iowa was coaching to win the game, not manage it, and it showed. They have a better coaching culture who coach to win and know how to coach situational football in a way that gets results. How many "emotional or gut" coaching decisions have we seen Fleck make that are just stupid. We continue to lose close games because he doesn't have a culture to help him process the decisions he makes. Time for them to really reflect on what excellent coaching culture looks like.

Next year the Gopher will have a new O coordinator, new QB, new Oline and they need a new offensive philosophy.

TOP doesn’t always win games.

The Gopher often wins the TOP and stats battle and still loses. If we’re going to lose we need to be more aggressive and either win with that or lose with our mistakes. What we‘re doing now isn’t getting it done.

I think our receivers are better than we've seen this year and it’s because we didn’t throw the ball enough. Morgan was outplayed by a guy making his first start and it’s a result of a staff willing to play to win. If Morgan had been throwing the ball more all season IMO our O would be better prepared to do so when needed. (many have said this previously here on the Hole)

I don’t think we returned one punt all day! How many I wonder have we returned this season?

Play to win next year. I won’t complain when we lose by physical mistakes, but I’m sooo tired of losing with this conservative offensive strategy.

Next year the Gopher will have a new O coordinator, new QB, new Oline and they need a new offensive philosophy.

The Gopher often wins the TOP and stats battle and still loses. If we’re going to lose we need to be more aggressive and either win with that or lose with our mistakes. What we‘re doing now isn’t getting it done.

I think our receivers are better than we've seen this year and it’s because we didn’t throw the ball enough. Morgan was outplayed by a guy making his first start and it’s a result of a staff willing to play to win. If Morgan had been throwing the ball more all season IMO our O would be better prepared to do so when needed. (many have said this previously here on the Hole)

I don’t think we returned one punt all day! How many I wonder have we returned this season?

Play to win next year. I won’t complain when we lose by physical mistakes, but I’m sooo tired of losing with this conservative offensive strategy.
Fleck ain't firing his BFF Sanford.

Our offensive philosophy this year: Have a 70 yard drive that takes 8 minutes off the clock, never throw it anywhere near the end zone and then miss a FG. Yards= check. TOP= check. Points = nope.

I should add that I love Coach Fleck and think he will lead us to great places. However, he will not if he doesn't figure out game day coaching and creating a culture to win games. The way they coach does not show trust in the plaeyrs.

The only coaching decision I disagreed with today was the 53 yard FG attempt. That was stupid. You punt or go for it there. But I'm sure Fleck remembered punting in that spot against Wisc 2 years ago and let the voices in his head get to him.

Taking points earlier on FGs was fine IMO. This was supposed to be a low scoring, possession and field position type of game. They easily could've grinded out a win if they make a few plays in the passing game and don't give up a couple big plays on D. I was fine with the strategy today, but it's fine if others disagree. To me, the players lost it today.

He's not going to be going to any Rose Bowls with MN.
Face it, Glen Mason was the pinnacle of MN football in the last 40 years and he got fired.
Mason never went to the Rose Bowl. Fleck was one simple dropped Tyler Johnson pass from going there.

Mason never went to the Rose Bowl. Fleck was one simple dropped Tyler Johnson pass from going there.
I never said Glen went there...and as you have pointed out, neither has PJ. Nor will he.
Thank you for solidifying what I said.

Top Bottom