Coaching em' up

golfinggopher

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass on my experience of being able to watch the Gophers practice a couple of times over the last few weeks. Many on here talk about how Brew is a recruiter and can't coach em' and how he isn't able to get the best out of his guys etc....I think people need to realize that there just isn't a lot of talent in the Jr. and Sr. classes, although I am very proud of this group as they are working their tails of and in my mind they are overachieving--especially on the defensive side of the ball. Now, we can debate the offensive struggles over and over but I think we'll see a MUCH improved team on that side next year and the years to come. I really expect a big performance out of the "O" come New Years Eve....

While at practice, I was basically free to roam wherever and I took the time to watch almost all of the position coaches as well as Fisch, Brew, Cosgrove, Lee etc...These coaches work their tail off and zip through drill after drill in a very organized manner that was really impressive to watch. I am an asst. coach at a smaller metro school and was able to pick up a ton of useful stuff that I will use with my team. Watching the coaches made me realize that I need to pick up my intensity to get the best out of my players. The players were working their tails off and also were able to have a little fun and there was a lot of hootin and hollerin after a big defensive play or an offensive catch or run. The student athletes were intense but seemed to be really enjoying each other. The team's attitude seemed really upbeat and they are excited to play in the bowl game IMO.

While watching, it was pretty easy to see that most of our more impressive athletes were Freshmen and sophmores. Hageman, Gray, McNight, Stoudamire, Cooper, KGM, Allen and many more are all imposing looking athletes and watching them go through their drills got me really excited about the future. These kids are all athletically gifted and I give kudos to Brewster to have the nuts to allow these guys a year to redshirt and develop their strength and to learn what it takes to be a Big Ten player.

I know many on here have never coached before and I really don't think that I have more knowledge than most just because I coach H.S. football but, for those of you who think Brew can't coach em up, you need to realize that Brew has hired good assistants (Yes Gophergod that includes Cosgrove) and once our talented underclassmen hit the field we will be a much improved team next year and the year after. A little example for you to clarify my point. Two years ago, I had a group of great kids in one of our program's JV teams. Worked their tails off but didn't have much talent. We went 4-4 and I was proud as heck of them and it was a great year. This year, I had a group of really good athletes who also happened to work hard and we went 8-0. Was I a better coach? Heck no! But it sure was rewarding to field a great team on the field. Those of you who hate Brew, don't trust him, think he's just a salesman etc...-give the guy some time. After all, we are all Gopher supporters aren't we? I guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised next year and for the years to come--our talent has improved and MAGICALLY we'll win more games!

BTW, all the coaches were friendly and came around and shook my hand and personally thanked me and other coaches for showing up. I've had the pleasure of meeting Brew and Cosgrove a couple of times and they really come off as genuine and passionate coaches and I can't wait for the whole staff to show all the doubters what good coaches they really are. Go Gophs!

I nominate this as a late entry for post of the year! Thanks for the thorough report and encouraging perspective.

Thanks for the info. I've been curious about GHers attending practices. Anyone else?

Nice post, glad you emphasized the tallent level of our youg athletes and how Brewster has had the "nuts" to red shirt many of them. I continue to believe Brewster is doing a good job of prepairing our program for future success, something many on this board simply do not see due to near sightedness and a learned culture of instant gratification. How does that old saying go "Rome was not built in a day". After the 2011 seasom we will know if Brewster is our man for the future, not before then.

redshirting is one of the most important aspects in the development of big ten football players.

Nice read. I am not a coach, but one thing I've noticed is our younger players, at least size and physique wise, look comparable to other big ten athletes. Brewster can definitely recruit. I was looking back at our past recruiting classes and there are two things that stand out to me. First off the players we're signing now are more highly regarded by the gurus (for better/for worse) than at any time in recent history and most of the guys are getting into school (gray-shirting seems to be working). If you look at your average Mason class, half of it never made it to campus or flunked out in the first year. Go back and see for yourself. For all the criticism of Brewster, I think at the very least, he tries to recruit kids who have enough moxie to get and stay eligible. There are notable exceptions obviously, but an honest look at the past shows we're doing better. It's heartening to hear that maybe the coaches are more capable than a majority of us think. I really hope you're right.

I appreciate the post. I have always wanted to coach with people with this kind of passion. It is hard not to be fired up and be excited about the day around people who are excited about doing their jobs.

Infectious at its best.

One of the best posts of the year!

As a distant GHer, I find it extremely useful to get a reality check from a fellow poster who actually is in direct, onsite contact with Brewster's coaching process and brings a knowledgeable, professional reporting perspective to the Hole.

Although the rumor, speculation, wild opinions and outright misdirection are quite entertaining here, this post brings a perspective none of the local media etc can seem to convey in an intelligent manner.

For me, more posting of this type by GHers actually attending practice sessions would be greatly appreciated.

Again...great work...please keep us up-to-date periodically!

So the consensus is that the underclassmen are all better then the upperclassmen, but Brewster just sacrificed wins to sit these kids down a year? Why is it that schools all across the country play true freshman then?

Look, I think Brew is bringing in players who are a step up from Masons guys, for the most part. But, thinking that the units are going to be completely improved because inexperienced RS frosh are going to start playing next season, well, i just don't think thats how its going to go.

Thanks for sharing golfinggopher! I would love to attend a practice sometime.

Even at a small college, I was amazed at the how much more intense our practices were compared to high school. It was actually pretty overwhelming at first (but I think the coaches wanted it that way). We accomplished more in a 2 hour practice then we ever did in high school.

Great post...thanks for the perspective.

I'm curious who seems to run the D side of practices more - Cos or Lee or do they each run it in tandom?

Go Gophers!!

So the consensus is that the underclassmen are all better then the upperclassmen, but Brewster just sacrificed wins to sit these kids down a year? Why is it that schools all across the country play true freshman then?

Look, I think Brew is bringing in players who are a step up from Masons guys, for the most part. But, thinking that the units are going to be completely improved because inexperienced RS frosh are going to start playing next season, well, i just don't think thats how its going to go.

I wouldn't say he sacrificed wins to redshirts many of them. Guys like Michael Carter didn't redshirt because he had was going to be a significant player. Same with Gray. But a guy like Maresh probably wouldn't have seen much of the field, maybe just on special teams. Does it make sense to use a year of eligibility on a guy who has a lot of talent if he isn't going to make much of an impact?

Without giving anything away did you see anything that gives us hope for O-line?

The offensive struggles for the past two years have started up front. Did you see anything from coach Davis and the players that would give you hope that they will start driving people off the football and the communication with the backs is improving. There were many times this season where the line blocked the play properly and the backs made the wrong cut or just did not hit the hole quick enough. Alford and Wills actually improved even if it did not look like it at times, if you could give Wills Alfords strength and Alford Wills footwork you would really have a couple tackles that could play. Did you see anything out of Bennett that would make you think he will be a good back or even Whaley? There was a lot of pressure on the running game to improve and I think it caused a bit of overthinking back there and confusion. Any plays designed to take advantage of Bennetts ability to execute the middle screen and isolate him or Whaley on a linebacker. Who is going to replace Tow-Arnett as the pass catching tight end?

Good to hear that the young guy's look impressive as athletes but the rest of the Big1o conference can pretty much say the same thing, are there a large group of athletes ready to step in and play. How do Olson and Michels look on the O-line those are the two guy's you here the most about as challengers to play next year.

Yes, that is my opinion after watching practice and every home game this year. The reason many upperclassmen kept their job's IMO is that their experience obviously trumped the athletic ability of the younger players. An example would be Lee Campbell over Gary Tinsley...Campbell is a hard nosed tough player and I've met him personally and he is a great player and a nice kid but he certainly is not a great athlete. During the last few games of the year we had the chance to see Tinsley play because Nate Triplett got hurt. Anyone who saw Tinsley play can see that he will be a beast and our most likely replacement for Campbell next year. Our LB unit next year will include Tinsley, Cooper (already a very good player), Reeves, Singleton, Maresh, etc...(and hopefully the Nelson kid from Skyline???) We will have the speed and athleticism of many of the teams in the SEC in our LB corps IMO...Will that translate into more wins and a better D? Maybe, maybe not, but it's sure fun to have that opportunity to find out! You seem a little worried? I would be.....

The offensive struggles for the past two years have started up front. Did you see anything from coach Davis and the players that would give you hope that they will start driving people off the football and the communication with the backs is improving. There were many times this season where the line blocked the play properly and the backs made the wrong cut or just did not hit the hole quick enough. Alford and Wills actually improved even if it did not look like it at times, if you could give Wills Alfords strength and Alford Wills footwork you would really have a couple tackles that could play. Did you see anything out of Bennett that would make you think he will be a good back or even Whaley? There was a lot of pressure on the running game to improve and I think it caused a bit of overthinking back there and confusion. Any plays designed to take advantage of Bennetts ability to execute the middle screen and isolate him or Whaley on a linebacker. Who is going to replace Tow-Arnett as the pass catching tight end?

Good to hear that the young guy's look impressive as athletes but the rest of the Big1o conference can pretty much say the same thing, are there a large group of athletes ready to step in and play. How do Olson and Michels look on the O-line those are the two guy's you here the most about as challengers to play next year.

Coach Davis was working his tail off and he is a big ol sum bitch (like 6'7 or something) lol I was watching Olson (his dad and younger brother were there) and Michaels etc...and they already seemed big and strong. I agree with you that our o'line will go a long way in determining our future on offense and with these guys along with Gjere and Henderson I think we'll be much better next year and in the future...Did I just say Henderson??? :) BTW, in person Wills is a MONSTER! He literally blocks out the roof in the building. With a year in the weight room and a little weight loss I expect him to be much improved next year.

GolfingGopher, I cannot thank you enough for your insight before the Insight Bowl. But seriously, this is very good information and something I hope to see more of on this board.

usc-probably the best recruiting year in and year out had one freshman who started: wes horton de
florida-had one player who started as a freshman this season-offensive tackle
texas-had no freshman starters
alabama- Nico Johnson lb only freshman starter
i think we can all agree these are the top programs nationally so go ahead and find the one exception to the rule!

all of these teams had a couple sophs texas more so then the rest but the teams are primarily all jr's and sr's. that leads me to believe major conferences dont use many true fresh as you seem to believe. if you want to win you develop your fresh and you sprinkle them in as sophs and when they become jr's and seniors you should be able to make a run. its not that complicated to understand!

recruit
redshirt-gains size/speed, learns playbook, goes to class and gets the grades
rs fresh-limited playing time, still learning and gettign the size needed
rs soph-maybe a starter or a situational player
rs jr-starter
5th year-senior starter
and start over

this is how you build a program-not a go for the gold in year one because some kids have a couple stars by their name coming out of high school. i understand there will be a guy or 2 who can come in and be a physical stud at the age of 18, but very few are! and yes guys will leave early! flip this on me however you want but this is the basics to any coach.

Great thread! I'm glad practices are so intense and h.s. coaches are allowed to attend. To me this is the kind of small step and goodwill that over time pays off and allows the Gophers to lock up it's best athletes. Personally I am excited about next years defense big, fast, athletic young kids that don't know anybetter. They'll be running around and making great plays, and a few mistakes but from what I hear about our young guys hopefully will translate to pressure on the QB and turnovers.

Lakes, that is about as well as anyone can explain it. There are just too many people that dont know how to build a program. Brew. like him or not , is doing it the right way, and needs at least 2 more yrs. to show the idiots.

I get the feeling that a lot of people around here have never played in any sports. Is it tough to understand that an experienced and more physically mature 22 year old could still beat out a much more talented 18 year old? Give these guys 4 years in the weight room and playing time and we'll see the real difference they can hopefully make.

Great post...thanks for the perspective.

I'm curious who seems to run the D side of practices more - Cos or Lee or do they each run it in tandom?

Go Gophers!!

To be honest with you Bleed, it looked like Cosgrove was doing a lot of the organizing and Lee was doing the hands on stuff....But, I really don't have any idea on a day to day basis, they seemed to work well together.

Thanks so much for the insight! It is amazing how the drive-by media is horrible at actually covering the team and their lack of understanding how things can work.

I get the feeling that a lot of people around here have never played in any sports. Is it tough to understand that an experienced and more physically mature 22 year old could still beat out a much more talented 18 year old? Give these guys 4 years in the weight room and playing time and we'll see the real difference they can hopefully make.

You need to preach that on the comment sections of the Strib and PP. I swear those comments are from the most ignorant football minds in the world.

You need to preach that on the comment sections of the Strib and PP. I swear those comments are from the most ignorant football minds in the world.

It could be easily compared to starting a stud freshman high schooler on the Varsity team. Maybe a great athlete who is like 5'11 170 and is going to be a stud-he's got everything. However, after thinking it through, why would you send this kid out to the wolves when you have a reliable senior who is a little less athletic but is a little bigger and has more experience.....Save the kids until they're ready and you will see the results WHEN they are ready!

Thank you to all the posters for a great thread!

One knock I've heard about Brewster from a credible source was that he seems to have favorites on the team. In fact I heard that there are certain players he basically won't even talk to.

One knock I've heard about Brewster from a credible source was that he seems to have favorites on the team. In fact I heard that there are certain players he basically won't even talk to.

i dont want to put this out there especially being a coach myself, but, every coach has favorites! some kids have personalities that draw you towards them, especially the guys with the most talent. and some kids dont communicate well to adults/parental figures etc so for a guy who may be unhappy with playing time or whatever throws out the "favorite" line doesnt carry much weight to me!

i dont want to put this out there especially being a coach myself, but, every coach has favorites! some kids have personalities that draw you towards them, especially the guys with the most talent. and some kids dont communicate well to adults/parental figures etc so for a guy who may be unhappy with playing time or whatever throws out the "favorite" line doesnt carry much weight to me!

+1, it happens, as coaches we try to give attention to everyone, often it goes to kids who either seek it out, or demonstrate excellence, AKA are coachable.
That said, Brew_Recruit is fishing here, best to ignore him, just another rumor to knock Brewster's rep from a "credible source"(internet heresay)

Top Bottom