Coaching Carousel Conference Preview: Big Ten (Hot Seat: Ben Johnson, MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score

Hot Seat​

Ben Johnson (Minnesota)​

The Ben Johnson experiment has not started off well in Minnesota. After two seasons, Johnson is 22-39 (6-33 B10). The Gophers had the third fewest wins of any power conference school last season and finished last in the Big Ten for the first time in over 50 years. The off-season transfer haul didn’t inspire confidence, but they do return one of the best bigs in the league in Dawson Garcia. If Johnson has another bad year, the only thing that may save him is his buyout. He would be owed 75% of his remaining salary, or somewhere in the neighborhood of $8M. Minnesota alum Niko Medved has his eyes on this one.

Go Gophers!!

Doesn’t that figure seem outdated? They’ve been saying 8 million for several years now it feels like. Was thinking it was down to about 4 by the end of this year, which still isn’t something to scoff at.

Doesn’t that figure seem outdated? They’ve been saying 8 million for several years now it feels like. Was thinking it was down to about 4 by the end of this year, which still isn’t something to scoff at.
his contract now runs through april 2027. third year buyout is 75% of his remaining base through contract end, fourth year is 50%, then 25% after that.

i think his base is still $1.95M

i think that makes his current buyout just under $6M

I find the "Niko Medved has his eyes on this one" bit interesting.

I have no idea who this Trilly Donovan is or what sources he may - or may not - have.

But assuming he did not make up the Niko bit out of thin air, it likely came from somewhere. People who leak or float information have agendas.

Ben has the talent now. He needs to put it together for a winning season. You all know I am a CBJ supporter. He needs to win now.

I have no idea who this Trilly Donovan is or what sources he may - or may not - have.

But assuming he did not make up the Niko bit out of thin air, it likely came from somewhere. People who leak or float information have agendas.

Maybe. It's also easy to draw the Minnesota connection.

If the Gophers end up hiring Niko after this season, it will be another incredibly disappointing hire.

Maybe. It's also easy to draw the Minnesota connection.

If the Gophers end up hiring Niko after this season, it will be another incredibly disappointing hire.
Really depends on what kind of season Colorado State has. If they make the NCAA's again, he likely will and should be a strong candidate. If go 6-12 in the Mountain West again, he probably shouldn't even be on the list.

Donovan has proven to be pretty well sourced with his Twitter posts. Not always right -- no one ever is -- but he's pretty spot on a lot of the time. I also found the specific mention of Medved interesting. Medved has kind of become a forgotten man in (potential) future Gopher coach discussions (it's usually Muss (as Rockraven noted), Craig Smith and/or Brian Dutcher being mentioned), so maybe there's some smoke there.

Last edited:

Donovan has proven to be pretty well sourced with his Twitter posts. Not always right -- no one ever is -- but he's pretty spot on a lot of the time. I also found the specific mention of Medved interesting. Medved has kind of become a forgotten man in (potential) future Gopher coach discussions (it's usually Muss (as Rockraven noted), Craig Smith and/or Brian Dutcher being mentioned), so maybe there's some smoke there.
The smoke is that he wants the job. That makes perfect sense and I think was true last time as well. His wanting the job doesn’t mean the U is interested. He wasn’t top on my list because of too much job hopping but he was certainly better prepared than what we ended up with. I’m pretty sure we need to seek much higher next time after what we have endured.

The smoke is that he wants the job. That makes perfect sense and I think was true last time as well. His wanting the job doesn’t mean the U is interested. He wasn’t top on my list because of too much job hopping but he was certainly better prepared than what we ended up with. I’m pretty sure we need to seek much higher next time after what we have endured.
If Ben ends up with a better conference record this season the Medved are you still saying that

his contract now runs through april 2027. third year buyout is 75% of his remaining base through contract end, fourth year is 50%, then 25% after that.

i think his base is still $1.95M

i think that makes his current buyout just under $6M
If everything listed is accurate...I'd say right now it is $6M but at seasons end in April it would be $4.5M. Again, I will be surprised if he gets fired no matter how few Big Ten games we win this year.
I think he has the ticket to coach year 4 in his pocket.

If everything listed is accurate...I'd say right now it is $6M but at seasons end in April it would be $4.5M. Again, I will be surprised if he gets fired no matter how few Big Ten games we win this year.
I think he has the ticket to coach year 4 in his pocket.
No matter how few big ten wins?

No matter how few big ten wins?
Yes, I really don't think it's a factor. Stay clean and it's aw shucks right into year 4.
I'm not aware of any donor to cover the buy out.
I think there is a political "make sure he had a fair chance" component to it.
Maybe transfers out or recruits asking for releases are a factor but...still need some money or Ben
realizing he's not the guy...something.

Ben has the talent now. He needs to put it together for a winning season. You all know I am a CBJ supporter. He needs to win now.
Will you turn on him this year if he doesn't produce?

Top Bottom