Close games

RodentRampage

Reaction score
I was looking through the media guide, looking over the historical records. 2009 was the first season that we won more close games (I define close as within 8 points, that is, within a TD and 2 point conversion) since 2003. Since 1982, the Gophers have been won more close games than they have lost 9 times, lost more than won 14 times, and won and lost the same number 5 times.

Over this time period, the Gophers were 47-71-1 in close games. The difference between a good season and a bad season can come down to pulling out the close games. One thing that made the 2007 season so maddening was how close many of the games were, the Gophers were 1-6 in close games that year. In contrast, in 1940, the Gophers were 5-0 in close games, and in 1941, the Gophers were 3-0 in close games. In 1942, we started losing those close games, going 1-3 in close games. Pulling out those close games made all the difference in the world, and won us National Championships.

If we can start turning those close losses into close wins, it could make things much brighter.

Interesting.

To me, the difference between winning close games and losing close games is turnover ratio. Hold on to the ball, and close game victories are possible.

That's a big part of it, sure. The other parts are a defense that doesn't get flustered when the game is on the line, and an offense that can do what it needs to to get the score or run the clock out at the end.

Yeah. Mason's teams often changed to a terrible prevent scheme in the last quarter of a game they were leading... and it cost us.

Last year, the defense's problem was that they were on the field so damn much, it became difficult for us to close it down on that end.

More first downs and longer drives should help everyone's performance in the last 5-6 mins of the game.

Yeah, those defenses were horrible, and they would have looked worse if they weren't backed up by a potent offense. The defense couldn't hold a lead. It's a very dangerous situation when you have to ask an offense to hold the lead. Sooner or later, the offense will fail. It won't be able to score forever, and won't be able to grind the clock out forever. When that happens, you need a defense that can take the slack.

It seems we've been snakebit, losing games where it shouldn't be possible to lose, but that's just about one team knowing how to finish off a game, and one team not knowing how.

Yeah. Mason's teams often changed to a terrible prevent scheme in the last quarter of a game they were leading... and it cost us.

Last year, the defense's problem was that they were on the field so damn much, it became difficult for us to close it down on that end.

More first downs and longer drives should help everyone's performance in the last 5-6 mins of the game.

You forget Mason's "Prevent Offense" that would completely go away from plays or players in the second half that had been sucessful in the first...

You forget Mason's "Prevent Offense" that would completely go away from plays or players in the second half that had been sucessful in the first...

My mind immediately goes to the 2005 wisky game... sigh.

You are absolutely right.

Yes and they would call plays that have a high likelihood of stopping the clock (incomplete passes), or in the case of that fateful Michigan game, become a Pick-6. His teams drove me crazy late in games where we had the lead!

Further to your point, I am sure we can all list numerous games over the last decade that the Gophers had in the bag (14 point leads or more in the 2nd half) that they ended up losing. I can't think of one great comeback by the Gophers during that time. This has happened against Wisconsin, Purdue (multiple times?), Northwestern (multiple times for sure), Michigan, Texas Tech, etc,etc.

I guess I can recall some very nice comeback wins for the Gophers during that era. There were not enough, of course. Still, just to put things in perspective, right off the top of my head I recall a great come from behind win against MSU in 1998. It was probably Mason's biggest win at that point in time. Then, in 1999, there was that win in State College where the Gophers came from behind and won as time expired with that great kick!

One that people may not recall was the come from behind win against Iowa in Iowa City on the last regular season game in 1999. Two in one season! How about that?

In 2003 we had the Michigan game. However a little later that season, there was a kick by Lloyd on the final play of that game that we play for the Axe with Wisconsin to avoid overtime that gave the Gophers the win and the Axe. People must recall Lloyd making a b-line for the Axe.

In 2005, I recall a really gutsy ralley led by our qb against Purdue first to send the game into o.t. and then to win the game.

So, while I will agree that there were entirely too many games that went the other way, I will never forget some of the great come from behind wins I did watch the Gophers win. Balance in all things is good. It is good to recall the good with the bad. All too often people don't do that.

I guess I can recall some very nice comeback wins for the Gophers during that era. There were not enough, of course. Still, just to put things in perspective, right off the top of my head I recall a great come from behind win against MSU in 1998. It was probably Mason's biggest win at that point in time. Then, in 1999, there was that win in State College where the Gophers came from behind and won as time expired with that great kick!

One that people may not recall was the come from behind win against Iowa in Iowa City on the last regular season game in 1999. Two in one season! How about that?

In 2003 we had the Michigan game. However a little later that season, there was a kick by Lloyd on the final play of that game that we play for the Axe with Wisconsin to avoid overtime that gave the Gophers the win and the Axe. People must recall Lloyd making a b-line for the Axe.

In 2005, I recall a really gutsy ralley led by our qb against Purdue first to send the game into o.t. and then to win the game.

So, while I will agree that there were entirely too many games that went the other way, I will never forget some of the great come from behind wins I did watch the Gophers win. Balance in all things is good. It is good to recall the good with the bad. All too often people don't do that.

I forgot the Michigan game was in 03 and we still won 10 games. Really hurts to think of what could have happened if we held on to that one.
________
VAPORIZER FORUMS

The frustrating thing about those collaspes is that Mase never seemed to take any responsibility about those losses. It was like we could not stop them so what can you do about it. I was so frustrated with Mase that after the tech loss. He bragged what a great job they did in the first half. Yes, you did a great job in the first 2 1/2 quaters. Then the last 1 1/2 quarters you gave up a 31 point lead. Heck even Eden Prairie could have held onto that lead.

While your in the way back

2005 also saw the Gophers squander a lead at Ann Arbor, only to face a third and 5 at about their thirty five. The clock was under two minutes, and the former Coach said they were simply running for a couple yards to punt the ball. The hope was to win in overtime. Gary Russell had other ideas.

But they won! They beat Michigan in Ann Arbor. Do you know how many times the Gophers have won in Ann Arbor since 1960 (50 years this year)? Two times (1986 and 2005). Can't we be happy that was one of the wins? I was in the Big House that day. It was remarkable! I was also in Columbus in 2000. We hadn't won there since 1949. Please don't try to belittle the few great road victories we have had in the past fifty to sixty seasons. I'll say "thank you to any coach of the Gophers who can win in Ann Arbor or Columbus or both! I don't think it is a sin to say: "Thanks for the memories, coach Mason..." I sure do hope that some other coach can start chalking up some memories for me on the road or at home pretty darn soon. Thanks to Cal Stoll for that win against Michigan in the dome in 1977! And thanks to Salem for that win against OSU in the last home win ever in the old Brick House in 1981. Those wins are too rare and precious to ever sulk about, at least in my world they are.

2005 also saw the Gophers squander a lead at Ann Arbor, only to face a third and 5 at about their thirty five. The clock was under two minutes, and the former Coach said they were simply running for a couple yards to punt the ball. The hope was to win in overtime. Gary Russell had other ideas.

To be fair the reason they were playing for OT is that Cupito had just been knocked out of the game and they didn't want to risk Mortensen throwing an INT deep in their own territory. A justfied plan IMHO.

Thanks to Cal Stoll for that win against Michigan in the dome in 1977! And thanks to Salem for that win against OSU in the last home win ever in the old Brick House in 1981.

Wait, wait, wait just a second.

We played in the dome in '77, but then at the Brickhouse in '81?

Something fishy about that?

And even just saying "win over Michigan in the dome" can't be right, can it?

My error.

The 1977 win against Michigan was indeed in the Brick Yard...good old MEMORIAL STADIUM. Sorry.

One thing the team is starting to get

Keep it close, and have a chance at the end to win. The next step is once you have a lead keep you foot on there throat and expand it. That comes not from quick strikes, but timely turnovers, field position, and a great ground game. I favor the ground as with a lead, the clock is your friend. Its you and the clock against the opponent.

Keep it close, and have a chance at the end to win. The next step is once you have a lead keep you foot on there throat and expand it. That comes not from quick strikes, but timely turnovers, field position, and a great ground game. I favor the ground as with a lead, the clock is your friend. Its you and the clock against the opponent.

One good example of that (and I totally agree on the post) is Nebraska. I have been to more than a few games there, with my wife growing up there, and attending UNL. But one of the cool things at that stadium is that they have the total yards displayed on a scoreboard at field level, in a couple of spots. The effect is that the visiting team has a constant reminder of how they are being dominated at the line of scrimmage. Of course, this worked best when they almost always won their home games, and I didn't see if they turned it off during the Callahan "regime".

Most, if not all, of these games were close the entire way. I can't think of any game where the Gophers were down 14 (or 21!) in the 2nd half and came back to win.

Most, if not all, of these games were close the entire way. I can't think of any game where the Gophers were down 14 (or 21!) in the 2nd half and came back to win.

I went back to the 1995 season and the only time in the last 15 years that the Gophers were down 14 points and came back to win was 2003 @ Northwestern. We trailed 14-0 halfway through the 2nd quarter and came back to win 42-17.

A close example was 2000 against Iowa when we trailed 24-12 halfway through the 4th quarter.

I went back to the 1995 season and the only time in the last 15 years that the Gophers were down 14 points and came back to win was 2003 @ Northwestern. We trailed 14-0 halfway through the 2nd quarter and came back to win 42-17.

A close example was 2000 against Iowa when we trailed 24-12 halfway through the 4th quarter.

Compare this to games in the same timespan we LOST after leading by 14.

2008 @Wisconsin...led 21-7 @ halftime, lost 35-32
2007 @Northwestern...led 35-14 in 3rd quarter, lost 49-48 in 2OT
2006 vs Texas Tech...led 38-7 halfway through 3rd quarter, lost 44-41
2005 vs Virginia...led 21-7 halfway through 2nd quarter, lost 34-31
2004 @Indiana...led 14-0 after 1st quarter, lost 30-21
2003 vs Michigan...led 28-7 after 3rd quarter, lost 38-35
2000 vs NCState...led 24-9 midway through 2nd quarter, lost 38-30
2000 vs Northwestern...led 35-14 midway through 3rd quarter, lost 41-35

Honorable mention:
2001 vs Purdue...led 28-17 halfway through 4th quarter, lost 35-28 in OT
1997 @ Penn State...led 15-3 midway through 4th quarter, lost 16-15

1 comeback of 14 points verses 8 blown leads of 14 points. Man it's tough to be a Gopher fan sometimes.

Honorable mention:

1 comeback of 14 points verses 8 blown leads of 14 points. Man it's tough to be a Gopher fan sometimes.

Thanks for sh|tting in my Cheerios.

The Masonites had the same old boring responses as to why we blew all those leads (especially Loon and Wren). The other team just had more talent. Nothing Mase could have done and we should have lost by a bigger margin. It was like Mase had no control over the situation. Nothing he could do.

I remember talking to a well know and accomplished Minnesota High School football coach at a Gopher scrimmage. He said it was inexcusable on how many blown leads Mason's teams gave up. He said a good coach finds ways to win.

Coach Fitz from Northwestern says the fault lies in the coaching staff when we cannot protect a lead. The coaches need to find a way to win those games. I wish Mase had that same philosphy like coach Fitz. Mase was a good coach but protecting the lead was not his strength.

Honorable mention:

This statistic summarizes why Mason was a 'good' coach, but by the end we all knew he'd never be a 'great' one, and thus had to go. His teams just fell apart. Five of these eight were Bowl or rivalry games. And while the measuring stick is only 14 points, in 4 of them we led by 21 or more!

I'll never forget when I lost faith in Mason. It was a 2004 road game against a beatable Michigan State team. We got down 21-10 in the first half, but it had started to rain. The cameras pan over to Mason who has his shoulders hunched, arms folded over his chest, and literally looked like he was pouting. His body language absolutely screamed, "get me out of here." That's why there are no big comebacks in his era. One touchdown at that point and it's 21-17. Instead, the mopey attitude pervades the team and the Gophers mail it in for a 51-17 loss to a team they should have been as good or better than.

Yes, it is incredibly painful to lose rivalry games in any way, shape or form. It really does feel good to win rivalry games in any way shape or form. My only hope is that some day we may win a rivalry or trophy game again. That would really be a nice reward for a long-suffering season ticket holder and lifelong fan. I can actually remember that once upon a time we won trophy border-battle games. Right now that seems so long ago and far away. It really does make me sad.

Thanks Darren, great work

Honorable mention:
1997 @ Penn State...led 15-3 midway through 4th quarter, lost 16-15, 1 comeback of 14 points verses 8 blown leads of 14 points. Man it's tough to be a Gopher fan sometimes.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Darren's data tells the story. Mason could not hold a lead. I think that the reason was a lack of confidence. My wife who is not and never was a Gopher fan could see how we would tighten up and play not to lose, which we usuallyoften did. When that happened the defense played "slow" and hesitant. They were never going to make an interception or cause and recover a fumble, and there were times when I would have paid big bucks for a sack. None were going to happen. And the offense went into a similar shell. And how about the punter fumbling a perfect snap vs. Wisconsin - that is playing with NO confidence. The head coach has to be the leader that they look for to be confident. Mason was not that guy. I'm not sure about Brewster yet.

No one is attempting to defecate in in anyone's breakfast cereal. But the first step in fixing a problem is in identifying what the problem is. The Gophers have had problems with huge blown leads - some suggested that the problems balance out, that this happened no more than statistics would suggest. Part of the problem was a lack of faith: you stop doing what works, and do what doesn't. How many times did we see first down, the defense did a good job, second down the defense did a good job... then comes third down, everyone plays WAY off the line: first down. If it was working, why not continue to do it?

Losing close games isn't good, but is better than getting blown out. If you're losing close games, then it doesn't take a whole lot of improvement to turn those losses into wins. The 1940 national champion Gophers were 5-0 in close games. If they didn't get those close wins, they would be 3-5, and have a season that would have been quite forgettable.

If you have the heel on the opponent's throat, keep it there. If what you are doing stops working, have something else you can do. The coach has to have faith, because a lack of faith is contagious.

Top Bottom