Cleveland State playing at 5:30 CT on ESPNU

cjbfbp

Reaction score
If you're interested in watching Dennis Gates' current team, Cleveland State is playing UW-Milwaukee in the Horizon League semifinals tonight on ESPNU. I never heard of this guy until less than two weeks ago but, since he's mentioned as a top contender for our unannounced coaching position, I plan on watching.

GO VIKINGS!

Yeah, I think the guy has an impressive background as an achiever but I hope to see something tonight that makes me say "Yeah, I want a team that plays like this!"

I just want to see what kind of ball they play--on offense, defense, rebounding. Looking forward to it!

Only 4 point favorites. Would be huge win for Milwaukee as top rated recruit coaches son might go there over Duke. They're playing for the ncaa tourney and the best recruit they'll ever get

I’m sold.

Gates will turn out to be the best hire this cycle.

Cleveland St has put some really awful shots up.

Only 4 point favorites. Would be huge win for Milwaukee as top rated recruit coaches son might go there over Duke. They're playing for the ncaa tourney and the best recruit they'll ever get
Could be wrong but is Baldwin on the hot seat? I mean even if he is maybe they would ride it out to see if they could get his kid. Would probably make them a conference favorite, but depends what the rest of the roster looks like too.

Cleveland St has put some really awful shots up.

Yes, I'm not a converted believer so far. They started out great but then went into a long slump and their coach didn't do much to stop it (much like our situation!). However, at least Gates has the opportunity to show whether he can make halftime adjustments better than our coach. We'll see.

Thought Gomillion might get a tech for hanging on the rim when they took the lead late, would've made things a lot more interesting.

Well, I will say a couple of things. Gates definitely uses his lineup. No one or two players dominate. Some of his players definitely have a sense of toughness about them (especially that Gomillion) and definitely have a sense of team spirit on the bench.

Well, I will say a couple of things. Gates definitely uses his lineup. No one or two players dominate. Some of his players definitely have a sense of toughness about them (especially that Gomillion) and definitely have a sense of team spirit on the bench.
That's a fun bench to watch.

It was fun watching the future Gopher coach.
Moving on to the Horizon Finals.

It was fun watching the future Gopher coach.
Moving on to the Horizon Finals.
That was a dang gut check. There were a couple points where I thought they were cooked. My wife and I went for a walk at halftime and came back a few minutes into the second half, by which time they'd cut it to 5. Then it was like, it's on.

Could be wrong but is Baldwin on the hot seat? I mean even if he is maybe they would ride it out to see if they could get his kid. Would probably make them a conference favorite, but depends what the rest of the roster looks like too.
I have no idea whether on hot seat or not. But def keep him until his kid commits elsewhere

Looking very likely that Gates and Cleveland State are going dancing. Quite an impressive middle section of the game!

Gates playing 10 deep. Eight have scored.

High energy defense. Lot of drives for inside baskets.

Cleveland St is only 5-21 from 3, but up 16. They can score even when not hot from three point land.

Announcers raving about how he's turned around the program and got the kids on track in the classroom as well.

He's a real leader.
I'm a big fan.

These guys really play defense.
No easy shots for Oakland all night.

Cleveland St is only 5-21 from 3, but up 16. They can score even when not hot from three point land.
Like the broadcast team just said, they're far from the most talented team in the league, but they're the most together. One of the poorer teams in the nation shooting from beyond the arc, but they just won their conference.

Top Bottom