Clear PI

He is literally reaching for it as the ball is leaving the hand of the quarterback
Yeah - now that I re-watch it seems like he was on it right away. I feel like when I watched it live it seemed late (or maybe that was because the refs conferenced after).

Yeah - now that I re-watch it seems like he was on it right away. I feel like when I watched it live it seemed late (or maybe that was because the refs conferenced after).
BTN put the flag indicator up late and then never showed a good angle of a replay.

they are responsible for the internet firestorm

I think if the flag came out quicker there would be less controversy.
The reasons that there is controversy are pretty simple:
1. It was a game-changing call
2. None of the standard TV replays that have been broadcast over the highlight reels show the contact, which occurred before the cameras focused on the receiver.

Notably, none of the sports highlight reels are showing the phantom defensive PI call against us that directly led to Purdue's TD that got them within 3. If I'm not mistaken, the same ref that threw the flag against us threw it against Purdue. Seems awfully fair and unbiased, from that perspective. The wrong was righted. The only problem is that the only one anyone outside of Gopher fans will ever remember was the OPI, and that all leads to mistaken objectivity.

In the end, we'd all be better off if neither the phantom DPI nor the final OPI were called, as they took away from a very entertaining and exciting football game. But once the phantom DPI was called, then it is only fair and righteous that the OPI was also called.

The reasons that there is controversy are pretty simple:
1. It was a game-changing call
2. None of the standard TV replays that have been broadcast over the highlight reels show the contact, which occurred before the cameras focused on the receiver.

Notably, none of the sports highlight reels are showing the phantom defensive PI call against us that directly led to Purdue's TD that got them within 3. If I'm not mistaken, the same ref that threw the flag against us threw it against Purdue. Seems awfully fair and unbiased, from that perspective. The wrong was righted. The only problem is that the only one anyone outside of Gopher fans will ever remember was the OPI, and that all leads to mistaken objectivity.

In the end, we'd all be better off if neither the phantom DPI nor the final OPI were called, as they took away from a very entertaining and exciting football game. But once the phantom DPI was called, then it is only fair and righteous that the OPI was also called.

All true. The two angles shown were 1) late to the play. PI occured before. and 2) from the QB POV. You couldn't tell from that angle.

Once the angle was put up that showed the contact....it wasn't a bad call. And yeah...since the phantom PI on the previous drive wasn't right at the end of the game....why would anyone talk about it. Even the guys in the BTN studios during the game....probably WATCHING it didn't say anything. I wouldn't expect national commentators to know about it.

All true. The two angles shown were 1) late to the play. PI occured before. and 2) from the QB POV. You couldn't tell from that angle.

Once the angle was put up that showed the contact....it wasn't a bad call. And yeah...since the phantom PI on the previous drive wasn't right at the end of the game....why would anyone talk about it. Even the guys in the BTN studios during the game....probably WATCHING it didn't say anything. I wouldn't expect national commentators to know about it.
Mike Hall was badgering Glen Mason about it after the game, even though Mason saw the same replay that clearly shows the OPI that others here have posted and commented at the time on the straight arm and that's what was called. Mason tried to defend it a bit by saying that there was indeed a little contact, but in the end he succombed to Mike Hall's barrage and didn't fight back much against it.

I actually had to look up Mike Hall's bio after the game, as he appeared to be a Boilermaker fan as nuts and biased as he was acting. If my information is correct, though, he is a Missouri grad, and so I'm not sure what was up his butt. In the end, I hope once Mike Hall sees the replay that shows the straight-armed pushoff, he lightens his tone, as his performance on last night's postgame on BTN was on the border of ridiculous and hysterical, and unbecoming of someone whose job is to be as unbiased as possible.

P.S. I love it when Glen Mason does the Gopher games. Entertaining and knows football. But I had to laugh a bit when he kept criticizing both teams on lack of defensive play. Last night's game was reminiscent of old Mason Gopher teams vs. Purdue - all offense, no D.

Last edited:

That gets let go 99% of the time. It probably was a technically correct call.

my team has been screwed over so many times in my life by officials that I will take the W all day
Hear hear!

Mike Max said on WCCO it was a bad call. Initially I agreed, but the second look I can understand why the ref threw the flag. I would argue, no homer, it was a good call.
Mike Max cries himself to sleep.

BTN put the flag indicator up late and then never showed a good angle of a replay.

they are responsible for the internet firestorm

It was intentional too. During the post game, they stopped showing the angle that would have cleared things up. It would have still been a ticky tack call, but it wasn't a phantom call. Games are decided on calls that close every single week.

we never saw the play from the angle that the official had - I would bet that would make it even more clear.

It was intentional too. During the post game, they stopped showing the angle that would have cleared things up. It would have still been a ticky tack call, but it wasn't a phantom call. Games are decided on calls that close every single week.
More people watch the postgame show if there is a controversial call to discuss

I will just say this -

if that exact same play happened, only it was a Gopher receiver and a Purdue DB, and the call went against the Gophers, how many people on this board would be saying "Good call." almost none.

Look - 98% of fans see everything through the prism of fandom. A call that helps your team is a good call. a call that hurts your team is a bad call.

the penalty may have been technically correct, but as noted, it doesn't get called a lot - or it gets called only by certain officials. and that is what causes the controversy.

Top Bottom