Class of 2023 Elinneus Davis, Moorehead HS Defensive Lineman

hungan1

Reaction score
He is the third-ranked MN HS football player behind Jaxon Howard and Jerome Williams.

At 6' 3", 295 lbs, he is getting noticed. Illinois, Iowa State, NDSU, Kansas, and Washington have offered.

The Gopher has not offered yet. Has anyone seen this kid play?

Thanks, hungan. Hopefully a fun thread to watch.

I don't doubt that the Gophers are communicating with him. Iowa State continues to flood the country with offers. He appears that he would be a good get in addition to developing a pipeline from that area. As BTChamp says, will be a fun thread to watch.

I don't doubt that the Gophers are communicating with him. Iowa State continues to flood the country with offers. He appears that he would be a good get in addition to developing a pipeline from that area. As BTChamp says, will be a fun thread to watch.
It would also nice to infiltrate NDSU zombieland with freedom and truth. Richter from Perham hopefully makes some noise soon too.

The Gopher coaches are making inroads to connecting with outstate Minnesota. It is not just lip service for PR purposes. They have lost players to Iowa and Iowa State from southern and southwestern Minnesota.

The Gophers have recruited well in the greater metro area, and they have been able to get good outstate players:

2023 - Reese Tripp, Kasson
2022 - Kristen Hoskins, Aexandria
2022 - Tony Nelson, Tracy
2021 - Logan Purcell, Annandale
2020 - Danny Striggow, Long Lake
2019 - Jason Williamson, Owatonna
2019 - Logan Richter, Perham
2017 - Blaise Andries, Marshall

I did not list the metro area players. The Gophers make room on their roster for MN and regional players who want to walk on. About a third or more of the players on the roster are from the Twin Cities Metro, Outstate MN, and Wisconsin. It bodes well for the program and future recruiting.

Local kids becoming Gopher players are a big deal for these outstate communities.

He seems like a solid player, but maybe the staff is not convinced. Can anyone recall an instate player with multiple P5 offers that Fleck slow played to this degree? I can’t think of one at the moment, which makes me think they are passing on Davis. We’ll see how it plays out.

The Gopher coaches are making inroads to connecting with outstate Minnesota. It is not just lip service for PR purposes. They have lost players to Iowa and Iowa State from southern and southwestern Minnesota.

The Gophers have recruited well in the greater metro area, and they have been able to get good outstate players:

I did not list the metro area players. The Gophers make room on their roster for MN and regional players who want to walk on. About a third or more of the players on the roster are from the Twin Cities Metro, Outstate MN, and Wisconsin. It bodes well for the program and future recruiting.

Local kids becoming Gopher players are a big deal for these outstate communities.
Nice list. It also helps with young kids growing up fans. There is a good amount of talent in Minnesota, just not a lot of recognition/exposure. Given a high-quality BIG strength, training, and nutrition program can be great players in 4 years.

He seems like a solid player, but maybe the staff is not convinced. Can anyone recall an instate player with multiple P5 offers that Fleck slow played to this degree? I can’t think of one at the moment, which makes me think they are passing on Davis. We’ll see how it plays out.
The Gophers are always looking for players that fit their program best. They are being thorough. Some evaluations take time.

They want the best players by position. Sometimes a national recruit wins out as is the case with Zach Evans over Emmett Johnson.

They did not hesitate to offer Reese Tripp from Kasson. He isn't even ranked yet. They must have some standards by position. If all the evaluation criteria check out, they will pull the trigger and offer.

It all depends on position and potential for development. In the case of Boye Mafe, he was already a freakish specimen. Never say never with Elinneus Davis. He may blow up and have a great season.

The Gophers are always looking for players that fit their program best. They are being thorough. Some evaluations take time.

They want the best players by position. Sometimes a national recruit wins out as is the case with Zach Evans over Emmett Johnson.

They did not hesitate to offer Reese Tripp from Kasson. He isn't even ranked yet. They must have some standards by position. If all the evaluation criteria check out, they will pull the trigger and offer.

It all depends on position and potential for development. In the case of Boye Mafe, he was already a freakish specimen. Never say never with Elinneus Davis. He may blow up and have a great season.
You wrote a lot and said nothing. Obviously they want the best players by position. Every team ever does. T

Watched the Spuds a few times last fall. He is a solid sized kid but I didn't really notice him disrupting the game like you'd like to see a guy do if he is a B1G level player. Seemed like a solid player and maybe he has added some more explosiveness and strength this winter and can show that at camps but I would imagine that is where he would have to earn an offer.

Not to be nitpicking but you consider Long Lake to be outstate?

It’s every post from you. More or less.
I'm surprised that you would say something like this. Hungan1 has his views that I appreciate. If you don't like his views, you don't have to be negative about it.

I'm surprised that you would say something like this. Hungan1 has his views that I appreciate. If you don't like his views, you don't have to be negative about it.
🤷🏼‍♂️ Sorry you don’t like my views. You don’t have to be negative about it

Watched the Spuds a few times last fall. He is a solid sized kid but I didn't really notice him disrupting the game like you'd like to see a guy do if he is a B1G level player. Seemed like a solid player and maybe he has added some more explosiveness and strength this winter and can show that at camps but I would imagine that is where he would have to earn an offer.
This rings pretty true - I'm next door to Moorhead, and while he's noticeable, he doesn't really blow you off the page every single down. Richter played my high school (same conference, granted, we are AAA, not AAAAA like Mhd), but Richter was a force both OL and DL, every, single, snap.

Did get a chance to watch him play basketball in January, he was pretty impressive athletically - good footwork, and very quick with that first step for a dude his size (yes, he LOOKS the part of a D1 interior lineman - he looks 27)

That explains why the Gophers have not tendered an offer. He has a season to show improvements.

Two outstate players got immediate attention from the Gophers coaching staff.

Logan Richter was offered the very day he showed up with his family. At 6'4", 320 lbs, he is a specimen. As a redshirt Sophomore, we hope to see him make an impact in the defensive line.

Reese Tripp recently got an immediate offer, and he has not been rated yet. At 6'7", 315 lbs, he is quite a lunker catch. Let's hope that he brings some nastiness.

Last edited:

I was just thinking about that. It is in the outer ring metro.
I was going to try and help you out because Long Lake to me does seem far away on my infrequent journeys there but even if I don't believe 'em Google says it's a 22 minute drive.
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 12.23.54 AM.png

I was going to try and help you out because Long Lake to me does seem far away on my infrequent journeys there but even if I don't believe 'em Google says it's a 22 minute drive.
View attachment 17209
If you did your Google Map search right before posting on here, the estimated time was likely heavily influenced by traveling at 12:30 am on a Sunday night/Monday morning. Try it again at 5:00 p.m. today, I imagine you'll get quite a different estimated time of arrival.

“I only want to recruit the metro. Even going to see him [Hoskins] was a stretch for our staff. I think the strength of the state lies on the metro area and with limited resources and needing to recruit elsewhere it just isn’t worth our time”-Fleck

“I only want to recruit the metro. Even going to see him [Hoskins] was a stretch for our staff. I think the strength of the state lies on the metro area and with limited resources and needing to recruit elsewhere it just isn’t worth our time”-Fleck
LOL...completely taken out of context or something. I wouldn't believe this statement for a millisecond.

The coaches traveled the state not too long ago to make contact and are committed to bring in anyone who wants to play for the Gophers. This is of no hindrance to go up there for that matter.

LOL...completely taken out of context or something. I wouldn't believe this statement for a millisecond.

The coaches traveled the state not too long ago to make contact and are committed to bring in anyone who wants to play for the Gophers. This is of no hindrance to go up there for that matter.
I know. I’m just messing with Tommyboy. Fleck would go to Antarctica if there was a player. I think that is well established. This board panics about not offering early or being the first offer. Fleck and Co may be in contact 3 times a week. We have no idea.

Top Bottom