Chuck Iverson on previous Colt transfer rumors: “He’s never mentioned it to me”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

U Surge May Ensure Success Next Season

The feel good experience of recent weeks could ensure that the basketball Gophers return all 12 of their underclassmen for next season. The Gophers have won seven of their last 10 games, and play an opening West Regional NCAA Tournament game in Milwaukee against Xavier starting at 11:25 a.m. on Friday.

The Gophers entered last week’s Big Ten Tournament as an unlikely candidate to be invited to the NCAA Tournament, but they impressed the selection committee by winning three consecutive games before losing on Sunday to Ohio State in the championship game. A couple of hours later Gopher players wore huge smiles when they heard the news that their goal of making the tournament had been realized.

The expressions on their faces and body language were a contrast to earlier in the season when disappointment and frustration were evident. On February 14 the Gophers had lost six of their last eight conference games. Their league record was 5-7, overall the Gophers were 14-10. Not the stuff of teams headed to the NCAA tournament.

Frustration was evident by both players and coaches. Maybe relationships were strained, too. Rumors began during the Big Ten season that players might transfer.

Jim Dutcher has been in the theatre of long seasons and emotional highs and lows. The former Gophers coach and assistant at Michigan was asked if the NCAA invitation and improved team play will make a difference if those rumors were true.

“Yeah, it really helps,” he said. “...Now that they’re in the tournament (with) a chance to win really a game or two. ..I think all that goes away. I don’t think you’re going to see anybody leaving.”

Sophomore center Colton Iverson, who for much of the season has been a sub behind Ralph Sampson III, was rumored to be a transfer candidate but Iverson’s father Chuck told Sports Headliners on Monday he’s not heard of such intent. “He’s never mentioned it to me,” Chuck Iverson said.

His son Colton has been in step with the Gophers’ recent improvement. In the Big Ten Tournament Iverson scored in double figures during the Gophers’ three wins, making 15 of 20 shots. For the season he’s averaged 5.0 points per game.

Chuck, who played basketball at South Dakota and was drafted by two pro teams, said that earlier in the season Colton wanted to help more and was frustrated with the team’s struggles. “I told him to work hard and stay positive,” Chuck said. “I coached a lot of years and players go through cycles.”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Colt's dad is a basic, South Dakota stand-up guy, and his straight forward comment doesn't surprise me a bit.

I suspect most sophomores in college think about something different, not just ball players. The newness has worn off, and the finish seems like it will take forever. That's why I never listen to transfer rumors, especially with sophomores.

I'm happy for Iverson and glad he's been playing so well lately. Even before he broke out I would have been really disappointed if he transferred because I saw a lot of potential in him, but luckily it doesn't appear that that will realistically happen anymore. Props to Iverson and hopefully he continues his great play in the tournament.

Based on recent results, Colt seems primed for big things over the next two years. Some of his post moves are beginning to remind me of Kevin McHale...I wonder if Kevin has had any input in CI's development.

He may not have mentioned it to his dad at the time, but he talked about it with other players and friends which is where the rumors came from. Even coaches at nearby D1 schools we're getting ready to make a run at him because they had heard the same stuff. Everything looks and sounds much better for Colt and like the rest of the team, he appears to be out of his mid season funk and playing much, much better so looks good for him being here with Ralph for two more seasons. I also heard that Dad gave Colt a little talking too a month or so ago and told him to man up and stop complaining

I also heard that Dad gave Colt a little talking too a month or so ago and told him to man up and stop complaining

His Dad is one BIG guy, which leads me to believe Colton will only get bigger.

Say 7' & lean 280

The thing about watching Colt up close as I have over the tournament is that he is absolutely dominant if he can get the ball in a halfway decent position. He has been making other teams look pretty silly because of how good his moves in the post are and how wide open they get him.

That being said he needs to keep working for the ball and they need to run him a few plays to get him open down low.

I predicted he was going to beast in the BTT and I'm predicting the same for NCAA. Watch for some dominating performances.

He may not have mentioned it to his dad at the time, but he talked about it with other players and friends which is where the rumors came from. Even coaches at nearby D1 schools we're getting ready to make a run at him because they had heard the same stuff. Everything looks and sounds much better for Colt and like the rest of the team, he appears to be out of his mid season funk and playing much, much better so looks good for him being here with Ralph for two more seasons. I also heard that Dad gave Colt a little talking too a month or so ago and told him to man up and stop complaining

Sources?

I appreciate most of your inside information, but sometimes these things should be left untold on an internet message board. Just because you have inside access to a team, doesn't mean you should be telling all to the public. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy lots of the inside recruiting information, but when it comes down to the personal feelings of a player displayed in a non-public setting, it should remain inside information.

Then who is he with his inside knowledge?

Your new here so here's some info on jgopher

I don't know who he is, but he's the closest person to the team and organization on this message board. When he speaks about the team/coaches/recruits, he always has inside information. If their are any rumors about the team, johnygopher seems to know if they're true or not.

Then who is he with his inside knowledge?

He's the E.F Hutton of the Gopherhole.

When he talks, people listen. ( or should )

Your new here so here's some info on jgopher

I don't know who he is, but he's the closest person to the team and organization on this message board. When he speaks about the team/coaches/recruits, he always has inside information. If their are any rumors about the team, johnygopher seems to know if they're true or not.

Thanks.

His Dad is one BIG guy, which leads me to believe Colton will only get bigger.

Say 7' & lean 280

That's one big...

deuceb2.jpg

I have no doubt that what johnnygopher lets out is only the tip of the iceberg and have no doubt that he is very judicious about the information he provides here. I see nothing harmful with what's been written on this thread.

Top Bottom