Christie

I don’t foresee a mass exodus, as these are Ben’s recruits and I’m sure they’re excited about Christie and Evansville coming.

He is the 13th rated SG by 24/7 and composite 21.

Offers included -
Sparty
Purdue
IA
OSU
Ill
USC
NW
Virginia

JOJ, Payne, Carrington, Henley, Garcia, Evans, Ihnen, Fox and Christie all 6-5 or taller are a good core. Now go get 4 Big Ten guards and we are in business. Ben has a big job to do this spring.

Leaders lead.

In my experience, high achievers relish challenges as it tests their mettle and is a sign of their confidence in themselves.

Think Puck telling the guys jump on his back before game 6 of the WS against the Braves at The Dome, - he hits a three run bomb and makes the epic catch against the fence in center - took ALL the pressure off his teammates and put it on himself, as an example which we’re all aware of. I want those guys on my team.

Cameron has that type of confidence - it’s unusual and special and can be intimidating to some, generally those with lower self-esteem in my experience.

I don't disagree. I was irritated that a couple of idiots jumped on my comment like I was mocking those recruits. I am grateful for them.

"Leaders" don't have to go to a losing situation. There are plenty of "challenges" even at good situations. One could argue (and I've heard that argument from some professional players) that playing for a top team is more pressure than playing for a losing one. Playing for a team like this presents different challenges and more frustration because you can play your best and still lose more often than not.

Nobody expected it to be this bad. But I don't think anybody expected that four guys would be injured for extended periods of time. The roster has been completely decimated. And there are a lot of minutes going to young guys that probably were expected to play sparingly this year.

Combine that with a Big Ten that has A LOT of really experienced teams. Look at our last three games. Northwestern and Rutgers both started three seniors and two juniors. Maryland came out with four seniors and a sophomore. Gophers have been starting two juniors, two true freshman, and a walk-on calibur senior transfer. Guys off the bench include another true freshman, a sophomore who should be on his way to a lower division next year, and an actual walk-on.

With some improvement and hopefully a transfer point guard....next year could be a significant improvement. Not just from the standpoint of what the Gophers put on the court.....but there are a lot of teams that are going to be turning over the experience they've built over the past four/five years. We just ran into a tough combination of a very deep Big Ten....with a young and injured roster.
And who is to say these teams don’t pull an Illinois next year and reload through the portal? Or heck, their young guys progress…or is that only a thing reserved for MN youth?

JOJ, Payne, Carrington, Henley, Garcia, Evans, Ihnen, Fox and Christie all 6-5 or taller are a good core. Now go get 4 Big Ten guards and we are in business. Ben has a big job to do this spring.

My own opinion is that Cooper should not go and Fox doesn't deserve a 3rd athletic scholarship year as a graduate student. I notice that you don't have Battle and I wouldn't either if I could pick the team. At this point I think he is more of a negative than a positive and might even be more so next season.

Cooper is experienced and would be helpful next season even if he plays significantly fewer minutes. He really hasn't been bad this year and I think he would have been more efficient if he had played on a better team. I also doubt Johnson's ability to get a high performing point guard in the portal. Henley has been improving at a pretty good pace these last few weeks and he and Cooper might combine to handle to position well enough next year.

I don't disagree. I was irritated that a couple of idiots jumped on my comment like I was mocking those recruits. I am grateful for them.

"Leaders" don't have to go to a losing situation. There are plenty of "challenges" even at good situations. One could argue (and I've heard that argument from some professional players) that playing for a top team is more pressure than playing for a losing one. Playing for a team like this presents different challenges and more frustration because you can play your best and still lose more often than not.
Yes, I agree that a losing/rebuilding situation isn’t the only avenue where a player can demonstrate leadership, not did I say that; rather Cam isn’t fazed by walking into the 🦁 den and that to me demonstrates his leadership.

There is something psychologically powerful about being part of a team that turns around a situation, all 🚣‍♂️ the boat together (couldn’t resist). I wasn’t part of that in sports, but was in business and it was a shite ton of work, but exhilarating once WE reached that summit - because it was a “we” thing and I played my part.

Every team needs stars/leaders and role players/ supporting cast. Shaq talks all the time about no matter how good he and Kobe were, they don’t win without Horry, Fischer etc…

Fun to be a good player at a good/great program, but it’s special to help make a program good from the bottom IMO.

Christie is listed as a SG, not a wing. I think Cooper has value, as he does many things well, such as - passing and rebounding. On a better team, he’d be good off the bench.

I think we need a quick PG and combo guard.

If Samuels was halfway competent to play at this level, we’d have a lot less headaches - he’s not. P5 player by any stretch.

Last edited:

I believe we already have 13 scholarships locked in next year when I look at it, so I believe we need somebody to transfer in order to add a transfer guard correct? Thompson the most likely but I'm not sure he actually wants to.

And who is to say these teams don’t pull an Illinois next year and reload through the portal? Or heck, their young guys progress…or is that only a thing reserved for MN youth?

Yeah...who is to say? Thanks for reminding everyone that precognition isn't a thing.

Look, schmuck, I wasn't mocking him (and I never mocked Evans either). I was being serious with a dash of cynicism. I'm glad those two guys who could have gone to many places decided to come here. They should be a huge help.
Well call those guys schmucks then when they mock Evans. Not me.

Yes, I agree that a losing/rebuilding situation isn’t the only avenue where a player can demonstrate leadership, not did I say that; rather Cam isn’t fazed by walking into the 🦁 den and that to me demonstrates his leadership.

There is something psychologically powerful about being part of a team that turns around a situation, all 🚣‍♂️ the boat together (couldn’t resist). I wasn’t part of that in sports, but was in business and it was a shite ton of work, but exhilarating once WE reached that summit - because it was a “we” thing and I played my part.

Every team needs stars/leaders and role players/ supporting cast. Shaq talks all the time about no matter how good he and Kobe were, they don’t win without Horry, Fischer etc…

Fun to be a good player at a good/great program, but it’s special to help make a program good from the bottom IMO.
They also don’t win without Shaq and Kobe

They also don’t win without Shaq and Kobe
That’s not the point obviously.

Seriously, do you know anything about sports? Did you ever play in HS, college?

History is littered with players who supporting casts stunk and kept them from getting a chip.

I forgot you only argue to argue snd aren’t a real Gopher fan - my solace is they you’ll slink away once the Ws start coming, until I’ll try and survive without your insights and use the ignore button on this Tommy Boy.

Last edited:

I don’t disagree but you just went off on a tangent that had nothing to do with what was being discussed. We’re talking about Christie and why he came here.

The biggest flaw I see with the “next year” arguments is that we don’t know who will be here next year. Once that’s determined we should have a more clear picture.
The biggest flaw is the continual mantra that people are going to leave. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. That is just speculation without any proof. I get tired of such empty speculation breeding chicken littles.

That’s not the point obviously.

Seriously, do you know anything about sports? Did you ever play in HS, college?

History is littered with players who supporting casts stunk and kept them from getting a chip.

I forgot you only argue to argue snd aren’t a real Gopher fan - my solace is they you’ll slink away once the Ws start coming, until I’ll try and survive without your insights and use the ignore button on this Tommy Boy.
He knows nothing. He is an ignorant Tommy who hasn't played even one moment of a sport, even as a child.

I believe we already have 13 scholarships locked in next year when I look at it, so I believe we need somebody to transfer in order to add a transfer guard correct? Thompson the most likely but I'm not sure he actually wants to.
Most logical candidates to me are Ramberg or maybe if he wants to stay you just move him back to walk-on status, difficult conversation but you have to do it. Then Thompson and Cooper are the 2 others that would be at the top of my list to watch. Maybe a Battle or Garcia decides to pursue pro options but hope not.

The biggest flaw is the continual mantra that people are going to leave. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. That is just speculation without any proof. I get tired of such empty speculation breeding chicken littles.

So it’s ok to speculate about Johnson adding a good PG, that Christie and Evans will be huge helps, the other guys will develop…but can’t speculate on who may leave?

Most logical candidates to me are Ramberg or maybe if he wants to stay you just move him back to walk-on status, difficult conversation but you have to do it. Then Thompson and Cooper are the 2 others that would be at the top of my list to watch. Maybe a Battle or Garcia decides to pursue pro options but hope not.
Battle
Garcia
Thompson
Cooper
Ramberg
Ihnen
Fox
Henley
Payne
Carrington
Ola Joseph
Evans
Christie

That's 13 -unless I missed someone. Ramberg was a one year deal. At least one more leaves. Bolded names are my must keeps. Garcia has changed my mind- he is an important piece despite the logjam at the 4-5 spots.

No one is mocking Evans. We are mocking the people who anoint him as our savior with an enormous wingspan.
Nobody is anointing Evans as a savior or loving him because of his wingspan. You guys are making that up to mock us & him.

And you always say that nobody is doing things...when it's happening non-stop constantly.

Battle
Garcia
Thompson
Cooper
Ramberg
Ihnen
Fox
Henley
Payne
Carrington
Ola Joseph
Evans
Christie

That's 13 -unless I missed someone. Ramberg was a one year deal. At least one more leaves. Bolded names are my must keeps. Garcia has changed my mind- he is an important piece despite the logjam at the 4-5 spots.
You're missing Betts.

So it’s ok to speculate about Johnson adding a good PG, that Christie and Evans will be huge helps, the other guys will develop…but can’t speculate on who may leave?
We are in agreement that this team needs a solid point guard. This is a need. It's not speculation until we start talking about point guards who might transfer here. I have no idea if Coach Johnson is looking for a point guard. That is for him to decide.

You're missing Betts.
I felt like I might have been missing somebody! Thanks. Ben is going to have to have some difficult chats. At least two + Ramberg need to move on after this year, even if there are no volunteers.

I personally, want a bunch of them to leave, and if you love gopher hoops, you do, too.

So you get your hopes up about our awesome future, and I will get my hopes up about players leaving.

Last edited:

I personally, want a bunch of them to leave, and if you love gopher hoops, you do, too.

So you get your hopes about our awesome future, and I will get my hopes up about players leaving.
Well...this only shows you are a troll and a worthless poster on the GH. Go back to Tommy Land.

Outside of Garcia, the injury excuse really doesn't fly much with me. Fox, if he played, would be taking minutes from Payne or Garcia. That's not an upgrade outside of the last handful of games where Thompson has played. Ihnen might have been able to play some 2 guard, but let's not pretend it would be a game changer.

Even if fully healthy, which no team is, this team would have 1-2 more wins, at best.

Well...this only shows you are a troll and a worthless poster on the GH. Go back to Tommy Land.
So if we are done recruiting for next year you are happy with that?

So if we are done recruiting for next year you are happy with that?
Did I say that? If I did, please quote me.
What I am done with is chicken littles who imagine they are coaches.

We are rock bottom. You can justify it, but many can't.

You are a better fan, I guess. It's funny, because I think of you as the troll.

DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOUR OWN EYES SEE?

We are rock bottom. You can justify it, but many can't.

You are a better fan, I guess. It's funny, because I think of you as the troll.

DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOUR OWN EYES SEE?
I'm just not a short sighted idiot like you.

We are in agreement that this team needs a solid point guard. This is a need. It's not speculation until we start talking about point guards who might transfer here. I have no idea if Coach Johnson is looking for a point guard. That is for him to decide.
I’m not sure you know what speculation means. Plenty on here talking about a PG. There doesn’t need to specific names to speculate that they’ll try to add a better PG

Top Bottom