Christie watch

Otis

Reaction score
Today and tomorrow are the final days to see if Cam Christie enters the portal.

Start the clock now.

Haven’t seen any mock drafts with his name with one exception. So things are looking decent for Gopher fans on the NBA front.

As far as the portal, he has less than 48 hours to enter. His departure would be pretty hard to recover from! So let’s hope he stays out of the portal and that he decides to get another year under his belt.

Go Gophers!

And yeah, I don’t think he is going to see this and jump into the portal! I’m sure he knows the deal.

Start the clock now.

Haven’t seen any mock drafts with his name with one exception. So things are looking decent for Gopher fans on the NBA front.

As far as the portal, he has less than 48 hours to enter. His departure would be pretty hard to recover from! So let’s hope he stays out of the portal and that he decides to get another year under his belt.

Go Gophers!

And yeah, I don’t think he is going to see this and jump into the next portal! I’m sure he knows the deal.

You’re less delusional than I imagined😃

What is the date to pull out of the draft?

Dates for NBA pre-draft Process

G League Elite Camp - May 10-12

NBA Draft Combine -May 12-19

NCAA Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline - May 29

NBA Early Entry Withdrawal - June 16

Why is the NBA date different than the NCAA? I mean what is your option at that point?

Why is the NBA date different than the NCAA? I mean what is your option at that point?
Maybe he waits until June 5 to withdraw and tees it up for another lawsuit against the oppressive NCAA restraining trade through arbitrary deadlines.

I would guess some will hold out for the May 29th deadline to pass. I would think some NIL money becomes available when players who entered the draft stay in(vs pull out).

edit (budgeted money for that player)

There are a ton of early entrants who are not affiliated with the NCAA (G-League, Euros, OT Elite).

Their deadline is the 16th. I think they probably have the NCAA's earlier because of the illusion of the importance of school but I also think it's to get the game of musical chairs going.

I don't follow it all that closely, but I believe the real fear with Cam isn't that a team will tell him they'll draft him in the first round. I don't think any team will tell him that.

But, what if a team tells him they will draft him in the second round and guarantee him a two-way deal, or worse yet, promise to give him a two-way deal even if he goes undrafted? That could be enough for him to keep his name in the draft and forget about classes and college.

There are a TON of potential two-way players, including most of the second round draft picks, so Cam will really have to trust what a team tells him if they say they'll sign him to a two-way deal.

Start the clock now.

Go Gophers!

And yeah, I don’t think he is going to see this and jump into the portal! I’m sure he knows the deal.
I don’t know about that. I think you may have wrecked things. 😬

I’ve never been in the position these young men are in, so I don’t know shit.

But, would you want to be drafted or undrafted and put your time in the G-League or stay in college and be the BMOC and develop in the B1G?

I mean you get paid to be on campus get a degree and date co-Ed’s. How badly could that suck?

But, would you want to be drafted or undrafted and put your time in the G-League or stay in college and be the BMOC and develop in the B1G?

I mean you get paid to be on campus get a degree and date co-Ed’s. How badly could that suck?
I got to think college is better unless you are a first rd pick. In the NBA opportunity matters. Guys that are picked in the 1st round receive more patience. The opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them can't be undersold. 2nd round picks the pressure is higher from the start. You don't have time to grow into your body. You don't have time to develop man muscles. And you have to beat people that are more seasoned, stronger, and likely just as skilled.

I got to think college is better unless you are a first rd pick. In the NBA opportunity matters. Guys that are picked in the 1st round receive more patience. The opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them can't be undersold. 2nd round picks the pressure is higher from the start. You don't have time to grow into your body. You don't have time to develop man muscles. And you have to beat people that are more seasoned, stronger, and likely just as skilled.
Agreed! Christie will be a first round pick eventually, he just needs to be patient!

Think it boils down to the player and what they want. If they like being in college then it makes sense to stick it out for another year and try to improve your draft stock. If they are just anxious to get their pro career started then you jump at whatever opportunity is available even if not quite ready.

No idea where Christi falls in this but good sign that he is leaving his option to come back open and dind't enter the portal. Means there is at least a chance he is back with the Gophers next year.

Think it boils down to the player and what they want. If they like being in college then it makes sense to stick it out for another year and try to improve your draft stock. If they are just anxious to get their pro career started then you jump at whatever opportunity is available even if not quite ready.

No idea where Christi falls in this but good sign that he is leaving his option to come back open and dind't enter the portal. Means there is at least a chance he is back with the Gophers next year.
almost 9 hours left to enter the portal...or can they still enter tomorrow?

They get the morrow as well.

33 hours and counting…

As much as I'd LOVE to see him in the maroon and gold you know people have been chirping in his ear.. he could set himself up for a HUGE payday if he were to enter the portal... Hope I'm wrong, but unless the u has promised him his bag already I think he enters it...

If Hawkins staying was a sure thing, then Christie staying .... (insert equivalency here).

This thread gives me anxiety. What a huge piece of the puzzle.

Christie's older brother and parents will know the system pretty well and make sure he gets solid info from the right NBA people. I think he will do the right thing for himself.

IF Christie doesn't go to the NBA this year- then the biggest money lies in the opportunity to showcase himself for scouts in the coming year. Ben did a really good job of giving him that shot.

IF Christie doesn't go to the NBA this year- then the biggest money lies in the opportunity to showcase himself for scouts in the coming year. Ben did a really good job of giving him that shot.
I do agree. However, I can only imagine the amount of cash some of the blue bloods would be willing to throw at him. Hopefully he sees the bigger picture and doesn't run for the short term gain...

Christi and his family played this whole thing very well. They may be impressed with Ben’s coaching and character, but his coming here allowed him to showcase himself immediately and not wait like he would have at a top tier program. His playing time and success definitely helped get him exposure he would not have had elsewhere and makes getting drafted more plausible.

They know the system and won’t get bamboozled by agents and scouts blowing smoke. I have no idea what he will do but it will be a well thought out decision with advice from people they can trust.

I do agree. However, I can only imagine the amount of cash some of the blue bloods would be willing to throw at him. Hopefully he sees the bigger picture and doesn't run for the short term gain...
There are a lot of tremendous college basketball players who command a lot of NIL and have no shot at the NBA. Those guys should get every penny out of NIL while they can.

That is not Christie. He will be an NBA player, and if he comes back to college, it's to prove he's a first-rounder and deserving of a guaranteed contract worth millions.

Yes, he could leave and make good NIL money for a year, but if he stays with the Gophers, he knows exactly what he's getting. He will play 30+ minutes, have an ultimate green light, handle the ball some, and get the shots in crunch time.

None of that is guaranteed elsewhere, and it's risky to transfer into the unknown for a few hundred g's when millions are at stake.

If he doesn't go to the NBA this year, I think he would stay, as it's the more certain path to improving his draft stock.

Definitely featured by Ben as a freshman. I wouldn't think he would be looking to transfer knowing he's going to be the primary perimeter option to showcase himself as a Gopher.
I think the worry is the second round/undrafted backroom deal.

Christi and his family played this whole thing very well. They may be impressed with Ben’s coaching and character, but his coming here allowed him to showcase himself immediately and not wait like he would have at a top tier program. His playing time and success definitely helped get him exposure he would not have had elsewhere and makes getting drafted more plausible.

They know the system and won’t get bamboozled by agents and scouts blowing smoke. I have no idea what he will do but it will be a well thought out decision with advice from people they can trust.
Perfectly said! Back when the annual exits started - I personally felt that Parker Fox, Dawson Garcia, and Cam Christie were the most mature and trusted to take them at their word. Mind you - all three of these young men have completely different circumstances while navigating through things.

Whatever decision Cam arrives at, will be properly thought out and guided but (not made for him) by some very bright and seasoned family members.

giphy.gif

There are a lot of tremendous college basketball players who command a lot of NIL and have no shot at the NBA. Those guys should get every penny out of NIL while they can.

That is not Christie. He will be an NBA player, and if he comes back to college, it's to prove he's a first-rounder and deserving of a guaranteed contract worth millions.

Yes, he could leave and make good NIL money for a year, but if he stays with the Gophers, he knows exactly what he's getting. He will play 30+ minutes, have an ultimate green light, handle the ball some, and get the shots in crunch time.

None of that is guaranteed elsewhere, and it's risky to transfer into the unknown for a few hundred g's when millions are at stake.

If he doesn't go to the NBA this year, I think he would stay, as it's the more certain path to improving his draft stock.
CBJ has not shown he can develop players yet. I don't think coming back to MN is a sure fire way or "more certain" path to improving his draft stock...

CBJ has not shown he can develop players yet. I don't think coming back to MN is a sure fire way or "more certain" path to improving his draft stock...
You haven't shown that you could judge whether CBJ can develop players yet.....

If he stays, he can get as many shots as he wants. That would be the biggest selling point IMO.

Top Bottom