Chris Monter Q&A: Wayzata Rusher Antonio Ford Hopes For Gopher Offer

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Antonio Ford, a 5-foot-9, 195-pound senior running back from Wayzata, has helped lead the Trojans to the Prep Bowl next weekend after a 42-0 win over Cretin Derham Hall. Ford, who is one of the top ball carriers in the state, was named to the KARE-11 Sports All-Metro team and was a second team StarTribune All-Metro choice this past week. GopherHole.com caught up with Ford after the game to learn the latest on his recruitment.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1564

Has anyone seen Ford play? Is he fast enough to play D-1?

I have seen him play, it's tough to tell. He is fast for a high school kid, but Wayzata's other running back looks faster (but smaller too). Ford runs hard through the tackles and bounces well, but I wouldn't call him blazing.

Watch him on tv Friday night against Eden Prairie!

For those who have seen both, who is the better prospect: Ford or Larson?

Physically, Ford is one of the strongest players in Minnesota. 345 bench press, 515 squat lift. I hear he's no fun to bring down. In terms of punishing defenders, I give the nod to Ford.

Thanks Steve. Any concern that Ford switched high schools before his senior season? With open enrollment between districts and all of the movement allowed due to schools failed to meet AYP requirements under NCLB, I always wonder about kids who move around more than once. Not saying it's anything. Just curious.

I don't think I'd give him an offer.
Only seen him play live once this year though.

Ford's family moved from Coon Rapids to Plymouth, so that is why he transferred. I haven't heard anything but positive stuff about the kid. If he was a step quicker it would be a no brainer.

I have a feeling he ends up at Northern Illinois. I wouldn't mind seeing him get an offer though.

any chance Ford or Andrew Larson, 5'10 195, RB, Eden Prairie (5A) - offer from North Dakota State, ends up choosing NDSU, or do you think they both want to go FBS? im just curious if anyone knows, thanks.

any chance Ford or Andrew Larson, 5'10 195, RB, Eden Prairie (5A) - offer from North Dakota State, ends up choosing NDSU, or do you think they both want to go FBS? im just curious if anyone knows, thanks.

Why the f*ck did the mods let you back on here?

I don't know go ask the ndsu board.

Ford's family moved from Coon Rapids to Plymouth, so that is why he transferred. I haven't heard anything but positive stuff about the kid. If he was a step quicker it would be a no brainer.

He appears to be pretty quick to me---also, you might not need to be as quick when you can make runs like this: -starting at 4:55

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D3pRLaafxN8#t=4m55s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for that. With all the movement allowed within the Minnesota high school system, it's easy to get confused. Glad that someone with good information could straighten me out. Thanks again.

He kind of reminds me of a shorter MB3. It's probably the Wayzata uniforms and he is more of power runner. I haven't seen him play much, and the couple games i've seen he's been relatively contained.

I don't really have an opinion on whether or not we should offer, but I think either Larson or Ford will get an offer.

Physically, Ford is one of the strongest players in Minnesota. 345 bench press, 515 squat lift. I hear he's no fun to bring down. In terms of punishing defenders, I give the nod to Ford.

Check out his 515 squat on Youtube... he is nowhere near parallel. It is a quarter squat at best. It is not legit. AND, his family moved to Plymouth because of FB, no other reason.

Check out his 515 squat on Youtube... he is nowhere near parallel. It is a quarter squat at best. It is not legit. AND, his family moved to Plymouth because of FB, no other reason.

Central is correct - the 515 squat is not legit. However, his squats of 315 looked pretty legit and he was doing those pretty easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aeNHWt39l8
That's also from his junior year - it lists him as a junior at Coon Rapids, so perhaps he's stronger now.

Even that is different than a Royce White situation where he gets kicked out of schools. Ford has never had any issues with getting into trouble or academics, he just wanted to go to a better school to play against the best competition. I could never fault a kid for that. If you did, you'd probably not like any of our Miami 4 kids.

I want to make it clear I wasn't suggesting Ford was school-shopping ala some kids in the Hopkins basketball program of a few years back. I was just wondering. There are so many ways in which kids can "shop" these days and it kind of wears me out. If Ford's family moved to Wayzata, so be it. Good school district. Good football program.

I want to make it clear I wasn't suggesting Ford was school-shopping ala some kids in the Hopkins basketball program of a few years back. I was just wondering. There are so many ways in which kids can "shop" these days and it kind of wears me out. If Ford's family moved to Wayzata, so be it. Good school district. Good football program.
His Mom worked in Plymouth before they moved, so if they had stayed in coon rapids, you might say they did so because of keeping his spot on the varsity at coon rapids. Looking forward to round 2 of Trojans vs. Eagles on Friday.

Wasn't clear the first time I guess. I'm not doggin' on the Fords. I was just curious. With the under-the-table crap that goes on in some instances, I'm glad to hear that the Ford stuff is all on the level.

Central is correct - the 515 squat is not legit. However, his squats of 315 looked pretty legit and he was doing those pretty easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aeNHWt39l8
That's also from his junior year - it lists him as a junior at Coon Rapids, so perhaps he's stronger now.

To be fair, those are also half-squats. Thighs need to be parallel or lower. Maybe it's a flexibility thing, but still not legit.

Top Bottom