Chris Monter Q&A: Tubby Smith Sees CA JC Guard Julian Welch Shine

looks like hes got a great offensive game in the highlights but im not sure if I see him playing the point alot in the videos... great stroke though

Maybe he chose UCD because UC Davis is awesome (well, maybe not in D1 hoops).. As a UCD Alum I gotta represent!

Did you major in Winemaking? I forget what it's called but UCD offers a degree in Winemaking.

Also very fine Engineering school.

Ryan James tweet:
"Julian Welch, a juco point guard out of Yuba CC in Cali who Tubby watched recently, said today his top 3 is Minnesota, UNLV, and Kent State"

So we have offered him or is he waiting it out in hopes he gets a Minnesota offer?? If not, send an offer his way. I'll be fine with Daniels, Nash, Colvin, or Welch

If Tubby is reduced to battling UNLV and Kent St for recruits, then the future is not rosy.

Both have been to Elite 8 more recently than Minnesota.

And UNLV has a national title.

UNLV has the 4th best winning percentage behind Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky.

It's clear that people on this board know little about college basketball.

And UNLV has a national title.

UNLV has the 4th best winning percentage behind Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky.

It's clear that people on this board know little about college basketball.

UNLV has been as far as the sweet 16 exactly one time since 1991. Its great record is largely due to Jerry Tarkanian. Also comparing records put together largely in smaller conferences to what UK,KU, and UNC have done is more than a little silly.

This doesn't have any more relevance than FOT's statements in this thread, but "Minnesota has been to a final four, elite eight, and been ranked number 1 more recently than UNLV".

I know nothing about Welch's game, so I'm not here to say that he is the answer to the Gophers' needs at PG next year, but I do think to downplay that his experience at the low D-1 level as insignificant could be unfair. College basketball, currrent and historically, is full of players who first excelled at smaller D-1 schools before transferring up to a major program and being at least a solid contributor. A small sampling of current standouts at major schools who came from small schools:

Georgia's Gerald Robinson (Tennessee State)
Duke's Seth Curry (Liberty)
USC's Jio Fontan (Fordham)
San Diego State's James Rahon (Santa Clara)

I will acknowledge that each of these players had a more established track record than Welch at their smaller schools, but nonetheless, it seems that Welch finished strong during his freshman campaign and is turning heads during his sophomore season. As stated earlier, Utah State, St. Mary's, and UNLV all are very solid, established programs and we are talking a juco recruit, so we won't necessarily see the usual suspects when pursuing Welch.

While getting the next Seth Curry would be great, at this point I would absolutely settle for the next Bryce Cartwright, who has a remarkably similar story.

Cartwright is a California kid who began his career at Fresno State (averaging 4.9 pts/game as a freshman). He moved to a JUCO, where he averaged 9.0 pts/game. Then came to the Big Ten. In Big Ten games this season, he's averaging 11.3-points and 6.7-assists per game. If we get that from Welch (or any PG) next year (and Trevor returns), we'll be a Big Ten title contender.

Both have been to Elite 8 more recently than Minnesota.

In other words, not only should we be disappointed Tubby is recruiting against the likes of Kent State, but he shouldn't even be expected to be able to win battles at "that level."

With friends like you, Tubby doesn't need enemies.

In other words, not only should we be disappointed Tubby is recruiting against the likes of Kent State, but he shouldn't even be expected to be able to win battles at "that level."

My God you're a massive pain in the ass.

Is that what they taught you in the military - When the going gets tough the tough sign up anonymously on a messageboard and complain?

Shut up already!

My God you're a massive pain in the ass.

Is that what they taught you in the military - When the going gets tough the tough sign up anonymously on a messageboard and complain?

Shut up already!

Please-dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

I have known USAFChief from the StribBitchBlogs and he overall is an OK guy. He likes to stir the pot with his comments, but overall was able to add good comments. The same goes for Trish's TwinsChat during Twins game. Lately, IMO, he is just having a bad decade.

We aren't looking for the pg of the future. We didn't plan on Devoe not being available to play pg next year. How many good pgs do you think are left out there that we have a shot at?

1. Went to UC Davis out of high school
2. Was redshirted at UC Davis
3. 4th leading scorer on his own team at under 10 ppg at the UC Davis level

Maverick Ahanmisi was going to be redshirted at Boise State last year...

Can you honestly say the same about his comments on here? He repeats about 4 (slightly varied) comments.

I have known USAFChief from the StribBitchBlogs and he overall is an OK guy. He likes to stir the pot with his comments, but overall was able to add good comments. The same goes for Trish's TwinsChat during Twins game. Lately, IMO, he is just having a bad decade.

Top 5 JC In Nor Calif

He is rated among the Top 5 JuCo prospects (not just guards) in Nor Calif.

Young man is one of the Top 5 JC prospects in Nor Calif.

You're a pain in the ass.

Young man is one of the Top 5 JC prospects in Nor Calif.

You're a pain in the ass.

I may be a pain in the ass, but I don't think you've addressed the point.

You have 7000 posts here claiming Tubby is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then you tell us not only should we not be disappointed to see the $2M coach of the University of Minnesota competing with the likes of noted basketball powerhouse Kent St off the JUCO scrapheap, but that we shouldn't be surprised if Tubby loses that recruiting battle.

I guess $2M per year and a B10 job just don't go as far as they used to.

Rivals has an article titled, "Gophers offer Cali juco." Anyone have access and can give us a synopsis?

Top Bottom