Chip: Verdict on Gophers football season again comes down to beating Iowa, Wisconsin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The resume has two head-scratchers on it, but the overarching view of the Gophers football season will be defined by what comes next against you-know-who.

The neighbors. The rivals. The nemeses.

Same as always.

Want to win the Big Ten West? Do something that hasn't been done since 1990: Beat Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season.

Want to maximize a roster crammed full of seniors and super seniors and super-duper seniors? Beat Iowa and Wisconsin. These circumstances don't come along often.

Want to make losses to Bowling Green and Illinois resemble a footnote instead of a grotesque scar? Beat Iowa and Wisconsin. Possession of the bronzed pig and giant axe will cause fans to forgive and forget Bowling Green.

This is not a call to climb Mount Everest or decipher hieroglyphics. The Big Ten West has never been more winnable.

Go Gophers!!

I did not realize Gophers had not beat Iowa and Wisconsin in same year since 1990. That is starting to feel like a losing streak.

Seems unreal that it's been that long. I'm with Chip on this. Beating both would win us the West and remove the sting of the BG and Illinois games. Win one of the two.....and this season ends with a decent bowl and the feeling of a missed opportunity. Lose both.....and this season goes down as a failure, imo.

Want to make losses to Bowling Green and Illinois resemble a footnote instead of a grotesque scar? Beat Iowa and Wisconsin.

^^^^^

This is known. This is the way.

I stated it at the start of the season Fleck needs to start beating Iowa and Wisconsin. 1-7 against them before today's game. Not a good look for him and his boss Mark Coyle.

It was more winnable in 2019 and we shit the bed. Still we need to do this - PJ has to step up for fucking once. Side note: I like PJ but his performance in rival games is dreadful and I’m losing patience.

It was more winnable in 2019 and we shit the bed. Still we need to do this - PJ has to step up for fucking once. Side note: I like PJ but his performance in rival games is dreadful and I’m losing patience.
If we lose to both Iowa and Wisc, win at IU, and win the middling bowl game, we'd end up 8-5.

Before we lost to Illinois, I was OK with this possibility (would've been 9-4 then, assumed a win vs ILL), given the injuries. But the ILL loss, and particularly the way we lost to them .... to me, that drops below acceptable.

We've got to beat at least one of them, this year, for it to still be a successful campaign.

Losing those two home games is still unacceptable.

Regardless what we do from here on out. The hype is nice if it creates interest and puts butts in seats.

But beat the teams you should beat.

Team hasn't played very well at home. I've seen way too many clunkers this year. My sister and her boyfriend went to the Nebraska game. The Maryland game was good. But Miami of Ohio, Bowling Green, and Illinois were all very disappointing.

Team hasn't played very well at home. I've seen way too many clunkers this year. My sister and her boyfriend went to the Nebraska game. The Maryland game was good. But Miami of Ohio, Bowling Green, and Illinois were all very disappointing.

We are on the road today, right?

Top Bottom