Chip Scoggins: Santa Claus is wearing maroon this year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Peter Mortell unfurled his shopping list with a look of excitement, which is how you’d expect a college student to react when handed $452 to spend at an electronics store.

As part of the Citrus Bowl gift package, each Gophers player receives a gift card to Best Buy. The team will hold a private shopping spree at a Best Buy in Orlando after it arrives for bowl festivities. Players are free to buy whatever they desire with that $452 allotment.

Mortell did his shopping early. He couldn’t wait to tackle his long wish list. Except he didn’t buy presents for himself.

The Go*phers’ All-Big Ten punter feels blessed. He’s getting a free education and playing college football. He’s happy, healthy. Life is good.

He wanted to do something to help someone less fortunate. Mortell decided to use his gift card to buy presents for boys and girls living at St. Joseph’s Home for Children, a Catholic Charities program that provides shelter and other needs for kids in crisis situations.

“I’ve been given so much,” Mortell said. “It’s time for me to start giving back.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/286812331.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Wow, that's awesome. Great to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Huh?? How so??? Both have done great things for this community. I'm a huge fan of both of them. Please explain!!

They just don't like Kluwe's politics. It's ok to give to charity, but people don't like political activism to interfere with their sports, especially when they don't agree with them.

I also love Kluwe!

Peter is not using it as a tax deduction. This is another reason why every person in this state should take the Gophers into their hearts.

I like both guys. Very cool

Amazing story. Great job, Peter -- you're gonna do well in life, my friend.

Great gesture by Peter. It shows the character of this young athlete.

Well done Mr.Mortell and Merry Christmas to you too!

Great story and yes another reason to like this team and their character. The reason why I think the PM is highlighted is that he is not making an income. It is a blessing to get a free education. I think it is great that the pros do their thing as well. Both are good, just like seeing someone college aged doing it.

Merry Christmas!!

Huh?? How so??? Both have done great things for this community. I'm a huge fan of both of them. Please explain!!

Kluwe is a huge selfish 'me me me' ******,
Pete Mortell just keeps getting better and better.
God bless him.

After reading the story in the paper, should have praised some others as well. Vikings V.P. Kevin Warren donated $1 million to the U of M Children's Hospital. Paul Molitor, Jack Morris and Tony Olivia hosted a breakfast to help build the state's first pediatric hospice. Even the Timberwolves and Wild got into the act, though how much was under "order" who knows. Or who care for that matter. The kids involved certainly didn't.

Mr.Mortell though did earn his "featured" treatment.

Merry Christmas to anybody who can see this too. :)

Kluwe is a huge selfish 'me me me' ******,
Pete Mortell just keeps getting better and better.
God bless him.

So Kluwe supports things you don't. That makes him a selfish "me, me, me?" Ok.

This thread is about a very nice gesture on the part of one of the Gophers and NOT about Kluwe and peoples' opinion of him. Please do not take away from the wonderful gesture of a student athlete at this special time of year by hijacking this thread. Great job Peter!!!! May you, your family, and your teammates be blessed this time of year! Merry Christmas!

Impossible not to cheer for Mortell!! He's been a fantastic story for the Gophers the last two years! I hope this story gets a little pub around the time of their bowl game, particularly if other Gophers join him and do the same.

Kluwe? Sorry. Despicable. Loved him as a punter for the Vikings. Applaud him for wanting to speak out for the rights of others. Find it absolutely despicable and disgusting that he's not capable of taking responsibility for his own actions. He did his cause a great disservice, probably more harm than good, by claiming he was cut because of his outspokenness. That is disgusting. You got cut because you were expendable. Get over yourself. Like my former boss, and very good friend, suing our former firm for wrongful termination. Did it suck? Yes. Did you probably get the shaft? Probably. Were they out to get you? Could be! But let it go. He thought he took a black eye by being dismissed and fails to realize he's taking a way, WAY bigger black eye over his spiteful lawsuit. Just let it go.

Kluwe had an opportunity to do a lot of good for a cause he found worthy, and I applaud him for that; instead he came off as a narcissistic, bitter, disgruntled former employee. Pathetic...

Top Bottom