Chip Scoggins: Sam Maresh gets a new chance

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"I did some of the stupidest things when I was at Minnesota," he said. "Running around naked at bars. Just stupid stuff. I look back and I'm like, 'God, was I really that bad?'"

Maresh can't change the past, but he's been granted a second chance. He admits he used to read the Gophers fan message boards and was hurt by things written about him. He wants to prove his "haters" wrong, and write a positive ending to his football career.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/132589338.html

Go Gophers!!

Best of luck Sam. Hope you get a chance to read this thread and realize most on here aren't "haters."

Wow. I knew he was messing up, but not as bad as the article states. Four to five nights a week is a lot of partying even for college.

Good luck Sam. Lots of mistakes, hope you make the most of your 2nd chance...

I was up in northern Minnesota this weekend and actually met a woman who claimed to be related to his serious girlfriend. She made it sound like he had gotten his head on straight and was trying to get back to D-I college football eventually, but I don't know how much she really knew about his future plans. Here's hoping he makes it back to wherever he wants to go -- would be great to see him playing major D-I football and earning a degree that would set him up for the future.

I'm all for second chances when someone admits to his previous problems and is determined to mend his ways. I'd welcome Sam
back if Kill thinks he is a good fit for his program.

I think a lot of the fan-base here were disappointed in his actions, seeing such a high ceiling and potential, then they ever were in the individual. From all accounts he comes from a good solid family and am very happy for him that he's turned things around in his life for the better. Going through adversity that he did, his heart problems, believing for a long time that he may have a tumor in his calf.... would make even me question whether or not god wanted me to play football. When things tend to stack up on you, your judgement isn't always in a positive direction. Glad he's turned it all around and found a new direction. Takes courage. Would still love to see him in Maroon and Gold.

Sam has decided to move on

I would welcome Sam back with open arms!

Sam used to have Minnesota listed as his only choice for the 2012 class but he no longer lists them. Instead he now has Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Nebraska, Utah and Wisconsin listed as his choices.

For what it is worth he is ranked as a two star recruit. Wherever he ends up, I hope it is a place that he can continue to grow as a person.

He's a talented kid, I hope he has his head on straight.

Good luck Sam!

Nobody can be labeled a permanent f**k up before age 22.

He gets another chance.

It would be good for him if he got another chance, just not here.

Personally I am sooooooooo glad folks aren't aware of 1/10th of the things I did between the ages of 15-25.

I look at my kids when they try to pull a fast one on the old man and think "you are so clueless, been there done that and get my coat I'm going with you." (to make sure they don't make the same mistakes!)

After all the $hit I did between the ages of 15-25, I am damned lucky I am not dead or in prison.

Grow UP, Sam, and prove it by coming back to the U of M and do us proud.

Good Luck, wherever.

Dr.Con

The kid went through a ton, sometimes when you're young and stuff hits you like that, you react poorly. Sounds like it was good for him to kind of get away from the spotlight and the area, and just focus on getting his head right. Wish him the best wherever he ends up (as long as its not Becky or Iowa LOL).

I for one was pretty critical of his behavior. I think you have to be critical of someone's behavior, sometimes publicly, in order for that person to "see the light". Sam should be hurt, but someone who wants to change needs to fail in order to succeed. Sam seems to have seen that light.

That said, I commend Sam and wish him luck, but am not willing to praise him. Too often we look at such change as making someone worth of praise, while guys that have always stayed on the straight and narrow receive no praise for doing so.

I use the Josh Hamilton vs. Justin Morneau Home Run Derby as an example.

This is all about Sam making good decisions and living the rest of his life.

Like us all.

Just read this pretty good stuff. Funny you bring up both Justin Morneau and Josh Hamilton Highwayman. When athletes get injured and can't play, stuff like this happens. Although the blame goes completely on them. This is what I heard and could be completely off-base, but when Morneau got the concussion last year (2010), he hit the bottle pretty hard. To the point where Gardy essentially kicked him off the team for the rest of the season. Everyone knows Hamilton's story.

But yeah, the kid partied, did some dumb stuff and has hopefully figured it out. For what it's worth, I watched his Juco highlight film after reading the article. He looks pretty darn good. Kid could easily make an impact at the high D-I level. He won't end up here, but I hope he makes it somewhere. I'm thinking K-State would be a pretty good fit.

Nobody can be labeled a permanent f**k up before age 22.

He gets another chance.

So true. I wasn't far from Sam at that age, just didn't have a collegiate athletic program to be dumped from.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up...

Getting drunk four or five times a week is what college is all about. I can't fault this kid and I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

Top Bottom