Chip Scoggins: Najarian might have what U needs in an athletic director

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Pete Najarian’s phone buzzed nonstop the day Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague resigned in disgrace. Friends and business acquaintances encouraged Najarian to show interest in the vacant job.

Being a college athletic director wasn’t a career ambition. But the more he thought about the job and the current state of Gophers athletics, Najarian became convinced that he has the energy, vision and business acumen to change the culture at his alma mater.

“If the university decided that they wanted to take this path, I would absolutely want to do it and I think I have as good a résumé as anybody outside of the fact that I don’t have the experience running the department,” he said.

“But my comeback to that is, I have run a large company. I’ve been a boss to a lot of employees. I’ve had to deal with compliance and risk management. …

“This is no longer just sports. This is a $100 million business a year. I looked at it as, this isn’t so far-fetched. Why wouldn’t this be a great fit for me?”

http://www.startribune.com/najarian-just-might-have-what-the-u-needs-in-an-ad/371342051/

Go Gophers!!

A Najarian hire can go 2 ways:

He can turn out to be the next Pat Richter or...

He can turn out to be the next Dave Brandon.

There is a lot of value having an AD who bleeds Maroon and Gold, was a great player who understands the game, likely has excellent people skills, is well known in the community and has been a very successful business man. I would think that PN would get the attention and support of a lot of UM alumni and those with deep pockets.

OJT worked well for me with my three successful careers spanning fifty years and I am sure there are others here who have been in the same boat.

I would gladly welcome PN as our next AD.

I'd be okay with his hire. If he we went this direction it be great if Goetz could stay on as his number two, but if she wants the job I doubt that she would and also people like Najarian usually want to bring in their own people, people that they've either associated with and trust or are referred to them. Sport is a big business now so a CEO type isn't a bad idea and Minnesotans love a local angle, it's very important here

No way he should get the job or handle it. Why he's never been an Athletic Director at a major football school! That's a deal killer isn't it? Or so we've been told many times before... :D

I'd be okay with his hire. If he we went this direction it be great if Goetz could stay on as his number two, but if she wants the job I doubt that she would and also people like Najarian usually want to bring in their own people, people that they've either associated with and trust or are referred to them. Sport is a big business now so a CEO type isn't a bad idea and Minnesotans love a local angle, it's very important here

I don't think Goetz would be hired away as an AD yet, so I don't see why she wouldn't stay. I have to say, I'm warming to the idea of Pete. It's a very risky hire, and that's why I like it. I imagine Claeys would rather have Beth, PN might want to have his hands in the football program.

What are we looking for, guys with pony tails? My dad always said "Never trust a man with a pony tail". :cool:

What are we looking for, guys with pony tails? My dad always said "Never trust a man with a pony tail". :cool:

That's because he once hit on a dude and didn't realize it.

I am not sold on him but I would certainly listen to him as a part of the process because of the unique perspective he brings. The main reason I don't consider him serious at this point is because his number one constituency is the student athletes, and he doesn't have any background that directly shows that he would excel with working with this most important aspect of his job. Being a student athlete 30 years ago or having a daughter who is a current D1 athlete doesn't quite count, but it can be a part of a larger argument he could try and make. He potentially would be set up to excel at various smaller aspects of the job like fundraising and public relations though.

No problem with that Mr.Bigelow. Now, if he wore his hair in a man bun...:mad:

Brad Stevens is now on The Dan Patrick Show. He's yet to give an opinion on Najarian.

What more do you want in an AD? He has sustained business experience, played for the Maroon & Gold, would be an unabashed leader to take this to another level.

There is a lot of value having an AD who bleeds Maroon and Gold, was a great player <b>who understands the game</b>, likely has excellent people skills, is well known in the community and has been a very successful business man. I would think that PN would get the attention and support of a lot of UM alumni and those with deep pockets.

OJT worked well for me with my three successful careers spanning fifty years and I am sure there are others here who have been in the same boat.

I would gladly welcome PN as our next AD.

And what game would that be?
Understanding the nuisances of football is critical?

At the risk of being politically incorrect, I suspect some people would prefer Najarian over Goetz based on anatomy. Personally, I don't think a penis is a pre-requisite for the job.

Seriously, running a D1 sports department has more to do with administration than it does with sports. Every few years, an AD may have to hire a coach for one of the major sports. The rest of the time, the job involves budgeting, scheduling, compliance, dealing with the NCAA's 6-billion pages of rules, and other administrative functions.

Is Najarian suited for this role? If he wants to be a figurehead and fund-raiser, the U would need a very strong #2 person who could work well with Najarian, and handle a lot of the day-to-day duties. That hire (if it's not Goetz) would be just as key as the AD.

At the risk of being politically incorrect, I suspect some people would prefer Najarian over Goetz based on anatomy. Personally, I don't think a penis is a pre-requisite for the job.

Seriously, running a D1 sports department has more to do with administration than it does with sports. Every few years, an AD may have to hire a coach for one of the major sports. The rest of the time, the job involves budgeting, scheduling, compliance, dealing with the NCAA's 6-billion pages of rules, and other administrative functions.

Is Najarian suited for this role? If he wants to be a figurehead and fund-raiser, the U would need a very strong #2 person who could work well with Najarian, and handle a lot of the day-to-day duties. That hire (if it's not Goetz) would be just as key as the AD.

+1 (at least)

The U doesn't need an AD who involves himself with administrative minutiae. That is what Assistant AD's do. We need an AD who is meeting and making connections with alumni, community groups, and potential donors whenever he (or she) is not meeting with high school coaches and state legislators or traveling to out of town games or to Big 10 and NCAA conferences to meet and make connections with other AD's and people who might be useful to the U sometime in the future. The most important role of the AD is promote the athletics program in every corner of the state and everywhere in the country where alumni reside. Najarian would be great in that role. He was born to it.

The U doesn't need an AD who involves himself with administrative minutiae. That is what Assistant AD's do. We need an AD who is meeting and making connections with alumni, community groups, and potential donors whenever he (or she) is not meeting with high school coaches and state legislators or traveling to out of town games or to Big 10 and NCAA conferences to meet and make connections with other AD's and people who might be useful to the U sometime in the future. The most important role of the AD is promote the athletics program in every corner of the state and everywhere in the country where alumni reside. Najarian would be great in that role. He was born to it.

Sounds like Teague.

I would be more than happy with this hire. We tried to hire an AD with related experience and all we ended up with was twice as high prices for season tickets, embarrassment for the university, and a mega tongue.

Sounds like Teague.

It is nothing like Teague. He was an out-of-town carpetbagger and a creep who learned his trade out East and was only using the U as a stepping stone to a job he really wanted. Some of us saw this about him right from the start. He never should have been hired. Teague was never going to be here long term.

Najarian already has the job he wanted and now he seems to want to do something else. I don't think money or an AD job anywhere else is a motivation for him. My guess is that he is probably as frustrated as the rest of us about how the U's athletics program has been wallowing in mediocrity for decades and he sees an opportunity to get involved to help do something about it.

And what game would that be?
Understanding the nuisances of football is critical?

I would think it certainly would be a positive rather than a detriment. How could that not be a strength?

Critical?

No.

I would think it certainly would be a positive rather than a detriment. How could that not be a strength?

Critical?

No.

I'll go with neither. Wouldn't hurt, but it should be a non-factor. I'm not sure how playing football in one's past makes them any more qualified to run an Athletic Department? I would put experience running a small grade school's AD above having played football. God help us if the U hires someone without any past experience running an athletic department of any size.

A Najarian hire can go 2 ways:

He can turn out to be the next Pat Richter or...

He can turn out to be the next Dave Brandon.
What if he is the next Paul Giel? ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What more do you want in an AD?

Someone with any experience whatsoever in athletics administration would be a nice place to start.

I'll say it again - the fact that he is getting serious discussion amongst anyone is disgraceful and a black mark on the intelligence level of this fanbase and local media.

If people are going to throw Najarians hat in the ring I suggest Trent Tucker instead

Everything you describe above about Pete Najarian you can say the same things about Trent Tucker and he actually lives in this community. He has AD experience although it is at the High School level, so he already has an understanding of what it is like to budget for a large amount of student athletes, facilities and run a large organization. He Tucker would have the ability to make connections with alumni, community groups, and handle the travel part of it to. You want a former athlete, than how about someone that would bring some pride back to Gopher athletics and has connections.
Trent Tucker has those things to, for opening up doors and at least getting in the door for meetings. He was part of our last Big 10 championship basketball program to, so he may just know a thing or two about successful coaches having a strong work ethic and giving people opportunity. Having a relationship with the coaches in the Minneapolis public schools is not a bad thing for recruiting potential student athletes either.
Tucker is an alumnus, I think we could be proud of as our athletic director, because he has a lot of the attributes we are looking for, and I think has just as much claim to having the opportunity to be great in the AD role for Gopher athletics. This isn't just a diversity thing either, this dude get's people, the art of bringing a big group of people together, and the art of making deals happen, so he has just as much right to have the media like Souhan or Hartmann calling out his name as a potential candidate as Najarian.

If your going to take a chance on a former alumn and athlete, at least take one that has run an athletic department. To me on day one, he Tucker would bring the positive energy back to the department, and be able to tap on people like Tony Dungy for ideas to get this mess of a department back on track. It is time to bring back pride to that M, and start winning in all sports but especially the revenue sports.

This sounds like Maturi.

And I agree that role is necessary. But we need a leader with great vision and (okay, not "balls") but chutzpah to think big and do things differently. To figure out why the major sports have lagged for so long, determine what is needed to fix it and formulate a plan to make it happen.

I get the sense that Najarian is that kind of person. But I'll bet you could also find that person like that who also has some experience working in an athletic department.

Everything you describe above about Pete Najarian you can say the same things about Trent Tucker and he actually lives in this community. He has AD experience although it is at the High School level, so he already has an understanding of what it is like to budget for a large amount of student athletes, facilities and run a large organization. He Tucker would have the ability to make connections with alumni, community groups, and handle the travel part of it to. You want a former athlete, than how about someone that would bring some pride back to Gopher athletics and has connections.
Trent Tucker has those things to, for opening up doors and at least getting in the door for meetings. He was part of our last Big 10 championship basketball program to, so he may just know a thing or two about successful coaches having a strong work ethic and giving people opportunity. Having a relationship with the coaches in the Minneapolis public schools is not a bad thing for recruiting potential student athletes either.
Tucker is an alumnus, I think we could be proud of as our athletic director, because he has a lot of the attributes we are looking for, and I think has just as much claim to having the opportunity to be great in the AD role for Gopher athletics. This isn't just a diversity thing either, this dude get's people, the art of bringing a big group of people together, and the art of making deals happen, so he has just as much right to have the media like Souhan or Hartmann calling out his name as a potential candidate as Najarian.

If your going to take a chance on a former alumn and athlete, at least take one that has run an athletic department. To me on day one, he Tucker would bring the positive energy back to the department, and be able to tap on people like Tony Dungy for ideas to get this mess of a department back on track. It is time to bring back pride to that M, and start winning in all sports but especially the revenue sports.

You don't have to convince me. I have always thought it has been a huge failing that the U has not given Trent an opportunity to work in some capacity that would interest him and take advantage of his talents. He obviously loves the U and enjoys living here. I think he would be great as AD. I listen to him on his Sunday radio program and find him to be very intelligent with strong opinions that he states in a clear and forceful manner.

I listen to him on his Sunday radio program and find him to be very intelligent with strong opinions that he states in a clear and forceful manner.

Ear of the beholder. He's unlistenable on the radio with a vague, general stream of consciousness.

Asked about impending Viking free agency last show:
Ya know, the Vikings understand going forward that we had a really good football season. Ya know, we win the division, we lose a really tough game to Seattle on our homefield, now how do we build upon that. And we know that we have goals that are set in front of ourselves that we would like to achieve and we know we have to add pieces on both sides of the ball to make sure we put ourselves once again in a good position to see if we can make a significant run around playoff time.

Top Bottom