Chip Scoggins: Gophers take Ohio State's best shot, go down fighting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The Gophers got virtually nothing from their running game, which put more pressure on Leidner to carry the load against the nation’s second-ranked pass defense.

Two fourth-quarter touchdown passes from Leidner pulled the Gophers to within seven points with less than three minutes remaining. But Jones iced the game with a 38-yard touchdown run with 1:53 left.

The Gophers competed hard, showed some fight, but they came up short vs. the best team in college football.

No shame in that.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-take-ohio-state-s-best-shot-go-down-fighting/342815142/

Go Gophers!!

Chip is happy with mediocrity

Ah, nowhere near the best team in football this year with Jones at QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, nowhere near the best team in football this year with Jones at QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was thinking the same thing. It would appear the 3 headed QB monster really only has one head as Miller can't throw (1 attempt all year) and the book is out on Jones (still good, but not the great player he looked like at the end of last year). With JT running the show they still have a chance to repeat but if they have to rely on Jones at QB they won't win it all this year.

Don't get me wrong, they are still a Championship caliber team with Jones at the helm but I would not call them the best in football with him under center. He really has been pretty mediocre all season and the team really didn't take off until JT got back in there. We dodged a big bullet with him being suspended last night.

Chip makes a good point and I agree. We competed hard but came up short playing in the Big House with our tier two defensive tackles and injuries all over the OL. I take my hat off to the Gophers for their splendid effort. This in no way implies I accept mediocrity, but I think credit is due to the Gophers for a strong effort. Down 21-0, they did not quit or back down and made it a questionable game with with less than two minutes to play.

Chip makes a good point and I agree. We competed hard but came up short playing in the Big House with our tier two defensive tackles and injuries all over the OL. I take my hat off to the Gophers for their splendid effort. This in no way implies I accept mediocrity, but I think credit is due to the Gophers for a strong effort. Down 21-0, they did not quit or back down and made it a questionable game with with less than two minutes to play.

I as well take my hat off to the team and, for the most part, the coaching staff. Glass half-full perspective:

- lost by 14 points to #3 (some would say #1) team in the country
- on the road
- after a gut-wrenching loss to #15 team a week earlier
- said #3 team had 2 weeks to prepare
- OSU QB was a back-up, but won A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP at the helm in 2015
- one OSU TD came after refs questionably picked up a flag that would have reversed the play and given MN good field position
- a second OSU TD could have been called back on offensive pass interference
- our squad never gave up and made it a one possession game in 4th quarter

If there's a glass-half empty perspective on this game that can trump it, I'd love to hear it. Gopher fans should go into the last three games of an insanely difficult 2015 season with some optimism.

Chip is happy with mediocrity

I'm not a fan of moral victories, but there isn't any shame in playing
#3 (really #1) tOSU, at the shoe, with all our injuries and trials this
season and playing like we did.
These young men are playing their guts out, and that's not
mediocrity.

Top Bottom