Chip on Gophers

The Strib scribblers are becoming like the KFAN yakkers: every day they all regurgitate the same stuff. Every day is Groundhog Day.

I didn't read it, but let me guess:

'Fleck needs to throw the ball more, because, you know, throwing the ball is a must.'
I haven't read the column either...yet. But in all due respect, Chip Scoggins' articles on Gopher football are the most honest, fair takes you'll get anywhere in the Twin Cities. He doesn't resort to name-calling or sucker punches, either.

I haven't read the column either...yet. But in all due respect, Chip Scoggins' articles on Gopher football are the most honest, fair takes you'll get anywhere in the Twin Cities. He doesn't resort to name-calling or sucker punches, either.
He also doesn't pull punches or sugarcoat obvious issues.

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. Since everything is mediocre to terrible, I would assume enthusiasm would drop — and it should! Hold them all accountable, I say.

Myself, I'm giving this forum one more season. After that, if we don't see some true excellence, I fully expect everybody here to find a new hobby. Enough is enough with the mediocrity.

Maybe we can all just listen to KFAN on Saturdays instead, to get some real perspective and hard truths. Or, better still, abandon sports altogether and take up bird watching.

Did you have an account here prior to 2019? Because Gopherhole has been around a hell of a lot longer than five years.

Wanna know what else is predictable? That there are some fans that will deny everything they see and not admit that the Gophers and the entire West (and half the east) of the Big Ten simply are not good football teams. ⬇️
It's always predictable that many say the B1G and especially the B1G West stinks. And that the SEC is fantastic. This year, last year, 2 years ago...

The B1G West is 6-3 in Bowls over the last 2 years.

The SEC was 5-7 plus a forfeit last year. And mediocre at best the year before. Georgia had a guaranteed path to the Playoff this year...they didn't play anyone good all year.

It's always predictable that many say the B1G and especially the B1G West stinks. And that the SEC is fantastic. This year, last year, 2 years ago...

The SEC was 5-7 plus a forfeit last year. And mediocre at best the year before. Georgia had a guaranteed path to the Playoff this year...they didn't play anyone good all year.
Bowl records? That’s your case? LOL.

I made no comments about the SEC but if you don’t think the B1G West stinks this year, then you are not paying attention.

Bowl records? That’s your case? LOL.

I made no comments about the SEC but if you don’t think the B1G West stinks this year, then you are not paying attention.
I heard the exact same thing last year and the year before. But then in the Bowl games, the B1G West suddenly came alive or something.

Would add that Chip I think usually joins Gaard and Ryan Burns on Pair and a Spare podcast?

Listened to first half and more of the last one after Ohio State. They don’t sugarcoat a single thing and both Chip and Burns are really tired of how conservative Fleck is.

Gaard plays the good cop and tempers things usually, probably because he knows he needs to keep a solid working relationship with Fleck, so can’t go after his ego too much

The Big Ten West is abnormally bad this year. Iowa nearly skated through it with one of the worst P5 offenses I've ever seen.

The Gophers have won their last 6 Bowls.
Wow! That is impressive! You'd think piles of 5-star recruits would be lining up to get their hands on the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl Championship Trophy. Idiot kids don't realize what a great opportunity they're passing up.

The Big Ten West is abnormally bad this year. Iowa nearly skated through it with one of the worst P5 offenses I've ever seen.
Reading Ferentz's & Iowa fans' blatant non-stop lying about the punt return can make us dislike them.

But....I choose to believe that most of them aren't like the vocal minority. I like throwback and real actual college football. I don't want to be in a conference with paying sleaze programs like Ohio State & Michigan. I hope Iowa beats them.

Wow! That is impressive! You'd think piles of 5-star recruits would be lining up to get their hands on the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl Championship Trophy. Idiot kids don't realize what a great opportunity they're passing up.
They can develop here just fine. It's not like other conferences are so much more totally awesome.

It would be awesome to beat both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season. I think we should be very happy with that while also saying the team has become boring and almost unwatchable. Fleck and co need to consider that

To me, the defensive struggles have been the most dispiriting. The offense has been weak but that pretty much describes most Big Ten West teams. When the team is unreliable on both sides of the ball, that's when you begin to lose all hope.

Brohm is a good coach. I also haven’t gloated about the “education” I was given this summer about how our WR core was going to be the strength of this team and our WR transfers were “can’t miss”. Oh, well now I have 🤷‍♂️.

Agree that Brohm is a good coach.

As far as the WRs (and the tight end for that matter), yes, they were not what we hoped for except for Jackson. The WR depth might have been better, though, had Brockington remained healthy. The offense also was devastated by the running back injuries and the total flop of Tyler. Of course, the QB also underperformed even the most modest expectations.

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. Since everything is mediocre to terrible, I would assume enthusiasm would drop — and it should! Hold them all accountable, I say.

Myself, I'm giving this forum one more season. After that, if we don't see some true excellence, I fully expect everybody here to find a new hobby. Enough is enough with the mediocrity.

Maybe we can all just listen to KFAN on Saturdays instead, to get some real perspective and hard truths. Or, better still, abandon sports altogether and take up bird watching.

This isn’t a bad idea. Sundays are a lot more fun and open for other activities with the cessation of NFL/Viking fanhood. Seriously.

Life has its seasons, and sometimes things become a cross to bear rather than enjoyable. I think most people would probably miss the social aspect of fanhood the most, hanging with family or pals and yakking about the team.

I‘m not interested in a cult, of any flavor.

So they won a bunch of meaningless exhibition games. Wow.
I love bowl season as much as any college football fan, but lets be honest, they don't count for much.

" meaningless exhibition games" :ROFLMAO:

Okay, let's go through this again for the ignorant.

All Bowl games count for the teams season record and all individual stats in Bowl games count for them too.

If you want to say that you don't pay attention to them that would be accurate.

" meaningless exhibition games" :ROFLMAO:

Okay, let's go through this again for the ignorant.

All Bowl games count for the teams season record and all individual stats in Bowl games count for them too.

If you want to say that you don't pay attention to them that would be accurate.
My point is that winning bowl games doesn't mean anymore than winning other games, and possibly means less. Winning conference titles is what matters.

My point is that winning bowl games doesn't mean anymore than winning other games, and possibly means less. Winning conference titles is what matters.

Then here's a tip. Just say that instead.

The Strib scribblers are becoming like the KFAN yakkers: every day they all regurgitate the same stuff. Every day is Groundhog Day.

I didn't read it, but let me guess:

'Fleck needs to throw the ball more, because, you know, throwing the ball is a must.'
Snowflake can't handle valid criticism of a team that never rises to the occasion.

For any fire Fleck clowns out there, this shows exactly what Gopher football is. 33 years since the program beat IA and WI in the same season. Think about that, over 3 decades.

Fleck and Kill are the 2 best coaches the Gophers have had in the last 60 years. It always comes back to who are you going to get that wants to coach here and how long would they stay? The Kansas and WA coaches are the only ones that I think might be better that may come here, and I don’t think there’s anyway the WA coach would.

Fleck has another 3 to 5 years to get better, easy. Minnesota is just not a football school, and the portal and NIL have exacerbated that.
Excuses excuses.

Then here's a tip. Just say that instead.
The Gophers have played in a number of bowl games lately that really don’t matter. Beating a MAC team in Detroit next month won’t either. 🤷‍♂️

It was refreshing to read the quotes from the fans Chip talked to. It seems like all 4 think/believe we shouldn't settle for simply marginaly better than we have been under Kill, Mason, etc and actually compare ourselves to other B1G programs. Fleck deserves a lot of credit for getting the program to/through 2019 and a lot of criticism for what has happened post 2019.

The Gophers have played in a number of bowl games lately that really don’t matter. Beating a MAC team in Detroit next month won’t either. 🤷‍♂️
The flip side is being embarrassed by a MAC team in Detroit next month and being reminded of it for 3 to 5 years.

Top Bottom