Chip: I said it last year and will say it again: Gophers basketball is in really good hands with Ben Johnson.

We'll know a lot more in five or ten years, but the coaching job he and his staff did last year with the almost complete roster turnover, key injuries, and limited, thin talent was very impressive and almost in the category of sorcery. I still can't figure how they took a bunch of guys who had never met each other, much less played together, and had them gelling and performing so early in the season. I don't want to get too ahead of ourselves, but it bodes well for incorporating new pieces in future years, which is the new reality of college basketball, particularly transfers and--if all goes well--one-and-done NBA-bound stars.

They clearly value skill and not just athleticism. The lack of skill and basketball-playing ability and basketball IQ have been a frustration of the past couple coaching regimes here.

People consistently bring up the 4-16 Big Ten record last year. Of course that's a last place finish, but that's missing the details of why the future looks bright. There was a wide talent gap between the Gophers and every other Big Ten team. They went undefeated in the non-conference with two power-5 road wins, upset two NCAA tournament teams in Michigan and Rutgers, lost by a total of 7 points in two games against Wisconsin, lost by a total of 10 points in two games to MSU, and gave numerous other Big Ten teams scares.

Don't you remember how many people on GH were seriously wondering if that team would win a total of 7 games all year? Well they won 13. The team was coached up and played hard.

Ben Johnson won me over last year, regardless of the 4-16 record. I'm excited to see what he can do with more talented rosters.
I agree! Last year I knew we were undermanned and had little depth. The non-conference games were amazing and I enjoyed the rest of the season (although not the results) knowing that we would show up every game and play hard. Many of those were losses, yes, but better times are coming! LOVE what Coach Johnson has done (and is doing) with this team!

Oh I like Ben because he's a nice guy. I want him to succeed because he's so nice. But I'm fair & HONEST...I will add 16 losses to his Year 3 overall record.

These Wisconsin closeters (or Reusse, is that you? Souhan?) ought to be stripped, greased, and forced to run backwards through a cornfield.
You're already predicting 16 losses for the Johnson-led Gophers in the 2023-24 season? Based on the roster as I see it today, I do not see that happening. Let's let Johnson coach his 2nd season first before we try to project his 3rd year.

. . . When Pitino won his B1G coach of the year award, there was a palpable groan of disrespect from other coaches, including Izzo.
Source for this statement? Also makes little sense because the Big Ten coaches voted Pitino as COY in 2017.

I don't think it HAS to be, but our roster should be ~50% MN kids there is enough home talent to build a winner and getting kids to stay home SHOULD be easier than getting a kid from CA to move to MN

If Ben can get targeted MN kids to stay that have previously left and supplement from outside state, we'll be in good shape.
I don't think it HAS to be, but our roster should be ~50% MN kids there is enough home talent to build a winner and getting kids to stay home SHOULD be easier than getting a kid from CA to move to MN

If Ben can get targeted MN kids to stay that have previously left and supplement from outside state, we'll be in good shape.
Doesn't matter. Amir Coffee or Jordan Murphy, all the same when they put on the uniform. They are Minnesota Gophers.

Source for this statement? Also makes little sense because the Big Ten coaches voted Pitino as COY in 2017.
Correct, Richard is well liked by his counterparts. Easy to like a guy when he isn’t that competitive against you too I suppose. His former players are not as enamored

I have none. I will make my stand on empty assertion. Pitino was not well respected.

Recruit yes, but can he coach his recruits? That’s still to be decided. From last year’s experience I would say questionable.

Yeah, the Izzo props has been a kiss of death here. As
Izzo and Thorson are really tight too from their years of doing Nike coaching clinics and both being young B1G Asst coaches at the same time. Ben will be we’ll protected by his peers. That being said, Ben is building in a way those guys respect too

Recruit yes, but can he coach his recruits? That’s still to be decided. From last year’s experience I would say questionable.
Lol what? Coaching was literally the biggest strength last year. Stayed in mostly every big ten game even with a massive talent gap and no depth beyond the 6th man. Any reasonable fan thought, “What would this team be able to do with talent and depth?”

Now we are getting a lot of that talent.

??? The coaching last year from this staff is why the team was undefeated out of conference and competitive in conference. There is no way that this ragtag group should have been able to keep within 20 points of most B1G teams last year yet they were extremely close to winning another 2-4 games.

Lol what? Coaching was literally the biggest strength last year. Stayed in mostly every big ten game even with a massive talent gap and no depth beyond the 6th man. Any reasonable fan thought, “What would this team be able to do with talent and depth?”

you beat me to it by about 30 seconds!

Izzo and Thorson are really tight too from their years of doing Nike coaching clinics and both being young B1G Asst coaches at the same time. Ben will be we’ll protected by his peers. That being said, Ben is building in a way those guys respect too
Thorson was the best man at Izzo’s wedding or something like that

Most of our B1G losses were double digit losses. There were also a few that weren't double digit losses but they were down big until they hit some 3's at the end to make the final appear closer.

The talent in the front court is now significantly better and I'm happy where we are headed there for the future. We still have a long ways to go at the guard position. Other B1G teams continue to add Evans level recruits as well.

John Wooden like , don't you think ???

Most of our B1G losses were double digit losses. There were also a few that weren't double digit losses but they were down big until they hit some 3's at the end to make the final appear closer.

The talent in the front court is now significantly better and I'm happy where we are headed there for the future. We still have a long ways to go at the guard position. Other B1G teams continue to add Evans level recruits as well.
I think you need to get one of the top 3 kids in the state every year to be successful. That shouldn't be to much to ask, last year overachieved, this year missed out but I think if you average that over time you can be pretty good.

I think you need to get one of the top 3 kids in the state every year to be successful. That shouldn't be to much to ask, last year overachieved, this year missed out but I think if you average that over time you can be pretty good.
I think that is a fine metric, I’d just change it to a 2 of the top 6 every two years. Some years are greater than others.
Top 6 the last two years
1. Chatman
2. Payne
3. Holloman
4. Carrington
5. King
6. Tie between JOJ and Winter

The 2022 class was quite a bit more talented depth wise where 2023 probably has the most talented player. If we can get 2 out of the top 6 when we combine them, I think that’s a fair standard.

I have to push back on that assertion. I think Coach Johnson did a great job of coaching last year. He inherited a flawed team, lost almost all of those players via the Transfer Portal, constructed a roster of transfers from George Washington, College of Charleston, William & Mary, New Hampshire, Lafayette, Stephen F. Austin, Merrimack, etc... and won 14 games! I was and am super proud of what the team accomplished last year! This year I expect more...and next year more than that...but to say Coach Johnson can't coach is just not accurate or fair

I think you are correct. I am disappointed that we did not get Chatman, Holloman, or Winter to commit (eventually I think we need to get some/most? of those types to sign on to elevate our program)...but getting Christie and Evans eases my concern

Not suggesting otherwise.
You seemed to suggest a certain percentage of the roster should be Minnesota kids. I don't think that matters other than the fact we will have some advantage attracting in-state kids as the program becomes successful.

I think that is a fine metric, I’d just change it to a 2 of the top 6 every two years. Some years are greater than others.
Top 6 the last two years
1. Chatman
2. Payne
3. Holloman
4. Carrington
5. King

The 2022 class was quite a bit more talented depth wise where 2023 probably has the most talented player. If we can get 2 out of the top 6 when we combine them, I think that’s a fair standard.
Would you trade Evans and Christie for any two non-Gophers on that list?

Top 6 the last two years
1. Chatman
2. Payne
3. Holloman
4. Carrington
5. King

I got Payne #1 and Chatman, Holloman, and Carrington are subjective. Chapman may have the skill set to be #1 but that the production that Holloman and Carrington had up to this point. Also not as high on Winter. I’d take JOJ in a heartbeat along with Aligbe (who I think could’ve helped us this year) over Winter. I like where we’re at locally in Bens first 2 years.

Last edited:

Please share the names and schools of the recruits at Evans level that other B1G teams have committed for the Class of 23- Johnson's first full recruiting year.

You are correct that most of the losses were by double digits. Only 4 were by 15 or more, however. Last year's team held up surprisingly well with the rent-a-year personnel in place.

Here are all of the losses from last season. And- for good measure- the losses by Pitino's squads by 15 or more over his last 4 seasons.

1- Home to Wisconsin
2- Away to Michigan St
5- Home to Indiana
6- Away to Wisconsin
8- Home to Michigan St
9- B1G Tournament to Penn St
10- Home to Iowa
11- Home to Ohio St
11- Away to Maryland
12- Away to Iowa
13- Away to Northwestern
13- Away to Nebraska
13- Away to Indiana
15- Home to Purdue
21- Away to Penn St
23- Home to Illinois
25- Away to Ohio St

Pitino's Teams
The '20-'21 team that had numerous top ten wins also lost by 31, 27, 25, 19, 19, 15, 14
The '19-'20 squad lost by 20, 18, 16
The '18-'19 team lost 27, 24, 20, 15 in conference, 27 in Big 10 Tournament, and 20 in NCAA
The '17-'18 squad lost 34, 30, 24, 24, 23, 18, 16, 14

I got Payne #1 and Chatman, Holloman, and Carrington are subjective. Chapman may have the skill set to be #1 but that the production that Holloman and Carrington had up to this point. Also not as high on Winter. I’d take JOJ in a heartbeat along with Aligbe (who I think could’ve helped us this year) over Winter. I like where we’re at locally in Bens first 2 years.
I like your list. I made mine hoping to not come off as homerish and more so the point was made about combining classes ever two years when evaluating local recruiting

Top Bottom