Chip: Hiring Joe Rossi as Gophers defensive coordinator was P.J. Fleck's best move yet

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

That standard is now an identity. There is an expectation that the Gophers will play stifling defense every season, regardless of personnel losses. The track record since 2019 – Rossi's first full season — reveals a consistency in high-level performance.

In that four-year window, the Gophers rank top-10 nationally in total defense, scoring defense, pass defense, rushing defense and first downs allowed.

Last season, the Gophers held eight opponents to 13 points or less. Last time that happened: 1961.

Nine Gophers defensive players have been NFL draft picks since 2019.

"The mark of a good defense is when you can have success for a sustained amount of time," Rossi said. "You're not always going to have your peak, but year in and year out, you feel confident that it's going to be done the right way."

Go Gophers!!

Wow. I knew the D was good, but no idea that good. I hope Rossi has no aspirations to be a head coach. I'm pipe dreaming, I know, but what a special time in Gopher Football.
But also can't forget the immediate impact he had when he took over mid season.

Dude is easily the best coordinator in the history of the program. Has a scheme where he can plug in 2/3 star players and turn them into NFL caliber prospects simply through their own intelligence and getting them to understand their assignments and execute as assigned. Another example of where hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Love him and what he brings to the program. I'd love to see you stay a coordinator with PJ til the end, Joe. I know you'll go elsewhere someday but my appreciation for what's been assembled here can't be stated enough.

Dude is easily the best coordinator in the history of the program. Has a scheme where he can plug in 2/3 star players and turn them into NFL caliber prospects simply through their own intelligence and getting them to understand their assignments and execute as assigned. Another example of where hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Love him and what he brings to the program. I'd love to see you stay a coordinator with PJ til the end, Joe. I know you'll go elsewhere someday but my appreciation for what's been assembled here can't be stated enough.
David Gibbs under Mase did wonders with what he had. He left too soon to know if he could rise to Rossi's level of competence.

Unquestionable that the OP statement is correct.

And makes it so damn baffling why Fleck refuses to promote Matt Simon to official, full, no BS made up "co-" title, Offensive Coordinator. Would be exactly the same type of promotion and success, in my opinion/guess.

Anyone can see that Greg Harbaugh is calling the offense this year, and that we're switching to a more passing-forward scheme/persona.

Plain as day that that's true. It's proven by Fleck refusing to publicly announce who is calling the plays. He doesn't want to give it away to Nebraska and let them solely focus in on Harbaugh. They know anyway, as does anyone with multiple brain cells. Sure, they'll be ready if we shock the world and come out with a run-forward offense. We won't, but they'll be ready.

That RPO, zone blocking run game offense was Kirk Ciarrocca. That was his thing. Brought it to Fleck at Western Mich, used it to great success there, brought it with them here, used it to great success here.

Now that he (KC) turned his back on this program twice, we're moving on.

Looking forward to more passing with Athan and this great group of receivers. Of course, we'll still run the ball plenty. That's just fine

I too am miffed why Matt Simon has gotten the back of the hand twice from PJ?

PJ is in charge of the offense. I very much doubt on a percentage basis we run the ball very much less. We'd have to be spectacular in the passing game to win PJ over. And we pretty much were in 2019. Percentages stayed consistent then, with the emphasis on ball control, time of possession and running the football.

Unquestionable that the OP statement is correct.

And makes it so damn baffling why Fleck refuses to promote Matt Simon to official, full, no BS made up "co-" title, Offensive Coordinator. Would be exactly the same type of promotion and success, in my opinion/guess.

Anyone can see that Greg Harbaugh is calling the offense this year, and that we're switching to a more passing-forward scheme/persona.

Plain as day that that's true. It's proven by Fleck refusing to publicly announce who is calling the plays. He doesn't want to give it away to Nebraska and let them solely focus in on Harbaugh. They know anyway, as does anyone with multiple brain cells. Sure, they'll be ready if we shock the world and come out with a run-forward offense. We won't, but they'll be ready.

That RPO, zone blocking run game offense was Kirk Ciarrocca. That was his thing. Brought it to Fleck at Western Mich, used it to great success there, brought it with them here, used it to great success here.

Now that he (KC) turned his back on this program twice, we're moving on.

Looking forward to more passing with Athan and this great group of receivers. Of course, we'll still run the ball plenty. That's just fine
Where did you learn that Simon is the run-heavy guy of the two? He also coaches wide receivers.

Fleck has said many times the OC needs to coach quarterbacks.

Top Bottom