Chip: 'Collective' is the new buzzword in college sports, and the Gophers need one

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

The university is not permitted to handle NIL deals for athletes. That job is increasingly being outsourced to collectives, a term that fans should get familiar with because collectives are popping up around the country by the week and securing endorsement deals and other moneymaking opportunities for college athletes.

The Gophers need one.

Collectives typically are formed by boosters and supporters of programs. They act independently of the athletic department, though compliance offices provide education in explaining NIL rules and what forms of income opportunities will be deemed permissible.

Nearly 40 schools have at least one collective, and industry experts expect that all Power Five schools will have one by the end of the year. A few schools already have multiple collectives.

Why is everything unfolding so quickly? Recruiting, as always, and the pressure to keep up with rivals.

The NCAA prohibits using NIL as enticements in recruiting (wink, wink), but surprise, that's a rule being ignored.

One Division I coach told me that recruits are asking about NIL opportunities and whether the school has a collective. It's become part of the courtship between coach and player, particularly with transfers in the portal who might either have NIL options at their current school or are shopping for the most lucrative opportunity when choosing a new school.

This is the new reality of college sports. People might not like this new reality or the direction that things are headed, but NIL is here to stay.

Go Gophers!!

I hear the word "collective" and immediately think communist. 👀

Life is all about change. It is the only constant. NIL will be great for some and that is just fine. But for me it is a perfect time to depart the college game. No more endowed scholarships to athletes they can earn their own. No more gifts to the athletic departments. Several very successful coaches will leave the game early. The schools that already provided cash will be the ones really good at this. College sports has been a blast and i am grateful but i am also fortunate to have several other outlets for enjoyment. More fishing and golf trips with family and friends. Best of luck to all the young athletes and to the coaches, get every dime you can because you will harder for it then ever before.

Life is all about change. It is the only constant. NIL will be great for some and that is just fine. But for me it is a perfect time to depart the college game. No more endowed scholarships to athletes they can earn their own. No more gifts to the athletic departments. Several very successful coaches will leave the game early. The schools that already provided cash will be the ones really good at this. College sports has been a blast and i am grateful but i am also fortunate to have several other outlets for enjoyment. More fishing and golf trips with family and friends. Best of luck to all the young athletes and to the coaches, get every dime you can because you will harder for it then ever before.
I feel your pain. It is troubling to see these sudden changes. As you said, there were schools that were already in shady territory. I hope that bringing this into the open allows the NCAA to eventually monitor this more effectively. It seems like the wild west today but I am sure that we will see things settle down in a year or two.

I hate to see the line between pro and am blur to this degree but D-1 sports have become a B1G business and the profits are not being distributed effectively to those who are supplying the blood, sweat, and tears. NIL may be one step towards further discussions about how to remedy this.

Top Bottom