Chip Armeilin

Thunderlips

Reaction score
I was basically courtside for tonights game, and got to see it up close. Chip Armeilin (SP?), that kid can play! He has a great future ahead of him. Very excited to see that from a FR.

Absolutely, I was impressed with him as well. Not afraid to make things happen.

Pretty amazing that basically nobody wanted him. He is so athletic!!! I like him a lot too!!

The thing that I feel sets Chip apart from the other freshmen we have is his confidence. He doesn't seem to be thinking to much and just going with the flow of the game.

The Gophersports game blog mentioned that Chip was being recruited for football and everyone thought that was the route he was going to go so he had few offers for basketball. Unfortunately I couldn't see the game since I am a poor college student but I am definately excited to see this kid play

I think size had something to do with Chip slipping under the radar. He's a small wing. I bet he's about 6'1 or 6'2, and he's built like a safety. He's an athlete though and might carve a niche for himself as a nice college player. The real test for him will be conference play when he's matched up against other athletic wings 2-4 inches taller than him.

I was impressed with his strength adn quickness as well. For a Game 1 freshman, he was fearless and only made the one dumb play that I recall. If he can be counted on to hit the open jumper in the bigger games, he will be a valubale addition to this team this year not down the road.

I think we caught a glimpse of defensive strategy we will see all year with the way Wofford handled Blake. It was clear they were not going to allow him to beat them and they were all over him from the first minute. If Blake is going to get a little room, it will be important for guys like Chip to take advantage of being ignored defensively.

Pretty nice pick up for a late summer recruit.

The thing that I feel sets Chip apart from the other freshmen we have is his confidence. He doesn't seem to be thinking to much and just going with the flow of the game.

Good point about "going with the flow". I only saw Chip force one shot near the end of the game and, to be honest, it wasn't really a bad shot. Just game situation might have been better to milk more clock.

We'll see how he does when opponents have a scouting report on him. But so far so good!

Nice to see Chip have a good start. Was a little puzzled when I read eariler posts about how his shot was broke and had the worst shot many had ever seen. I know he was dealing with a slight hand problem and probably was a bit anxious to get his career started at Midnight Madness. I still believe in one of my earlier posts that Chip is a better than average shooter, who plays with confidence with a scorer's mentality. I think he will be allright when teams get a scouting report on him because he can shoot it well enough from outside and has a quick first step to get by a defender who wants to crowd him. There will be some things Chip will struggle with as a freshmen, but finding a way to be a threat on offense is not one of them. Go Gophers!!!!

He looked really natural out there. As far as his shot goes, it was falling last night but it has no rotation. It'll be interesting to see how consistent he is with it this season.

CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! CHIP!

I think size had something to do with Chip slipping under the radar. He's a small wing. I bet he's about 6'1 or 6'2, and he's built like a safety. He's an athlete though and might carve a niche for himself as a nice college player. The real test for him will be conference play when he's matched up against other athletic wings 2-4 inches taller than him.

Good point. Not many 6-1 or 6-2 SG at high level of Div I. But I think he'll be able to do it.

Obviously there are many differences in size, shape, talent and overall game but for some reason Chip reminded me of a young Veshon Leonard last night.

He doesn't have great shooting form but that doesn't mean it isn't effective. It's nice to add someone who can actually create his own shot and is aggressive.

Off topic, but anyone else notice that Blake's decision making has been a little scary so far this year? I'm not concerned, I've just been surprised so far. I think he'll cut down the TO's right away. I guess it's at least a good sign he's willing to dribble the ball so far this year. It was nice to see his pullup jumper. One of the few shots I've seen him create.

He doesn't have great shooting form but that doesn't mean it isn't effective. It's nice to add someone who can actually create his own shot and is aggressive.

Off topic, but anyone else notice that Blake's decision making has been a little scary so far this year? I'm not concerned, I've just been surprised so far. I think he'll cut down the TO's right away. I guess it's at least a good sign he's willing to dribble the ball so far this year. It was nice to see his pullup jumper. One of the few shots I've seen him create.

Blake had 6 assists and 2 TOs. That's not a bad ratio.

You know I'm one of the biggest Blake fans. He definitely had at least 3 turnovers though. I can think of one where he threw a pass away, 1 where he dribbled and someone poked it away from behind, and another one where he dribbled in traffic and a guy just stole it. You have to admit though that his decision making (including the Canada games and exhibition) hasn't been as good as usual. Obviously he's still our best decision maker so it's not like it's an issue at all. I just noticed he's made more poor decisions than usual but there's no doubt in my mind he turns that around right away.

Blake had 6 assists and 2 TOs. That's not a bad ratio.

You know I'm one of the biggest Blake fans. He definitely had at least 3 turnovers though. I can think of one where he threw a pass away, 1 where he dribbled and someone poked it away from behind, and another one where he dribbled in traffic and a guy just stole it. You have to admit though that his decision making (including the Canada games and exhibition) hasn't been as good as usual. Obviously he's still our best decision maker so it's not like it's an issue at all. I just noticed he's made more poor decisions than usual but there's no doubt in my mind he turns that around right away.

Point taken.

Could just be beginning of the season rust. Sometimes there is a fine line between a brilliant pass and an awful looking turnover. Blake is a very intelligent player, I'm not worried.

Chip

I like this guy. I think he will help win a game or two especially at home in the Big 10..

His stroke from 3 is not bad. He can put the ball on the floor and he has a nice pull up jumper. He is a lefty so he has a little, herky jerkyness to him that helps him get his shot off(not comparing him to) like a Manu Ginobili or Vincent Grier..

Chip seems confident and has an idea of how to get his shot off...

I like that his name is Chip.

Also, the fact that he seems a lot more confident in creating, and more importantly TAKING his own shot than Cobbs did last year. Cobbs was always scared to go up with it, seemed afraid to miss. Never forced anything, but never really created anything either. Chip seems like he's got the ability to separate and create a shot for himself. Not always the best shots, or the most preferred shot in a given possession, but give him a year and he'll be solid.

I can see it now...Chip will drive, penetrate, pull up and shoot at the block, put it in the hole and the crowd will chant: "Chip off the old block!":

I like that his name is Chip.

Also, the fact that he seems a lot more confident in creating, and more importantly TAKING his own shot than Cobbs did last year. Cobbs was always scared to go up with it, seemed afraid to miss. Never forced anything, but never really created anything either. Chip seems like he's got the ability to separate and create a shot for himself. Not always the best shots, or the most preferred shot in a given possession, but give him a year and he'll be solid.

Techinically his first name is Gerald. Since he is a Jr the nickname Chip (Off The Old Block) is what he goes by.

FOT, thanks for backing me up on my cheer for Chip, I did not know that. I sometimes think I am not as stupid as some people think I look.

I'm a big fan of Chip. He's a little out of control at times and is definitely aggressive looking to score, so I'd expect a few games where he gets benched for being out of control and making bad decisions, but for a freshman, and a late recruit, he looks absolutely outstanding.

Chip

I feel Chip can replace some of the positives Westbrook provided, mostly those late drives to the hoop when the offense isn't working. I wish an upper classman could or would but that hasn't happened.

I feel Chip can replace some of the positives Westbrook provided, mostly those late drives to the hoop when the offense isn't working. I wish an upper classman could or would but that hasn't happened.

Ya - Well maybe we now know where that will come from for the next four years? I think that Devoe will have some input though.

Devoe has one really good move, but doesnt seem to have the ability to blow by anyone. But he is a good player. Luckily our inside guys are dominating on offense. We just need the rebounding to improve. I think we match up ok with UNC, I think great backcourts will hurt us more than a great frontcourt will.

Top Bottom