Chip: Add this to the list of unexpected things of 2020: Gophers men's basketball has a deep, stable roster.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

On paper, there is a lot to like about the team that Pitino opens the season with Wednesday. The Gophers are experienced, versatile and deep, especially in the backcourt, which gives them a strong foundation. Marcus Carr won’t be forced to play until he collapses from exhaustion every game.

This looks like one of Pitino’s most talented teams. It looks like an NCAA tournament team … IF there is a tournament, that is. And optimism also assumes the Gophers won’t encounter major disruptions from COVID-19. Again, a major if.

“We can’t use this pandemic as a reason why we can’t have a really good year,” Pitino said.

Pitino is entering his eighth season in Dinkytown, and a lot has transpired in that time — good, bad and in between — with myriad stops and starts and roster fluctuation. The lack of consistency has prevented his program from establishing solid footing.

Go Gophers!!

Who else is excited for this season?

Lots of new talent and a pretty deep team.
All transfers are ready to go.
Tons of quality teams in the B1G.
Gophers picked at the bottom 1/3 and no national pressure.
Pitino teams seem to be better every other year.

Who else is excited for this season?

Lots of new talent and a pretty deep team.
All transfers are ready to go.
Tons of quality teams in the B1G.
Gophers picked at the bottom 1/3 and no national pressure.
Pitino teams seem to be better every other year.

(Raises hand)

I’m very excited. Very sad I can’t attend games. On paper this team looks fun. Some athletes, experienced enough, bunch of new faces. Very sad indeed.

And our home disadvantage will be a level playing field. Now every arena will be as silent as Williams Arena has become.

I moved away >10 years ago and try to get back for 1 game a year, and the turnout/energy is so disappointing.

Top Bottom