Chicago Tribune: Former Gopher moved to be near little sister, who has cancer

Carter is expected to be a valuable asset for the Flames, who just hired a new coach in former Wisconsin assistant Howard Moore. Playing out of position often last season, Carter averaged 6.3 points and 3.7 rebounds in 15.2 minutes per game for Minnesota.

"It's not going to be what you see on the basketball court," Minnesota coach Tubby Smith said. "It's in the locker room. He was the heart and soul of our basketball team. ... He's going to be (UIC's) leader."

________

He's going to be big for them on the court and in the locker room.

It Was Very Prominent (Half Page) In Trib Sports Today

Very nicely done. Gophers will miss Carter far more than points and rebounds.

carter had class

I will always remember when the Gophers vs Purdue game finished at the barn, Carter immediately went to Robbie Hummel to give him some encouragement after Hummel had injured himself during the game. I thought it showed a lot of class on Carter's part showing respect for another classy player. The Gophers will miss his contributions this year but I'm sure it's best for Carter and his family. Good Luck Paul!

I know it's almost cliché now to say these things, but I was struck by what nice people his family were when I had a chance to meet them at the Big Ten Tournament. It's obvious where he gets his class and grounded personality.

I remember Paul's visit to William's arena the year his JC team played Mpls CC. I walked out at the same time Paul and his family left Williams areana and Paul was jumping up and down with exitement about joining the Gophers at Williams arena the following year. I smiled at the time thinking, what a great kid. I sure wish Paul could have played his SR year at MN as he will be missed, but I certainly understan his need to be with his sister and family. Paul and family, you are nothing but class. I wish you the very best.

Top Bottom