Cheating IA - Fair Catch Was A Play!!!!!!!

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Thinking about 2 plays at the end of the game:
1) the fair catch wave
2) trying to nock the ball from our center’s hand at the point of hiking.

I’m now thinking these are tied together as a part of IA coaches play book when losing. Try to pull of a fake fair catch to confuse the defense- nothing to lose if you don’t get away with it. I don’t think I’ve seen a football returner run with both arms in the air - one pointing, one waving- if they’re not doing a fair catch. Any story that the IA player was shouting out plays to other players is BS. Confuses defense - we had 4 gophers around him hold back from tackling him and 1 gopher player that tried to tackle him that either didn’t see the same thing or was confused when he started running and tried to tackle him.

Glad the A Hoos got the emotional high from thinking they got away with it and then kicked in the nuggets when deemed invalid!

Last edited:

I can't say I watch the most football of anyone, by any means, but both of those things were firsts for me to see attempted in a football game.

Have never seen a defensive player attempt to perfectly time up punching the ball out of the center's hands as he's hiking it in victory formation.

Must be an Iowa thing

Also the weird way Ferentz is complaining about this it sure seems like this is coached to do just that. So they have plausible deniability and then claim being the victim

Dejean does like to try and sneak some stuff in while returning punts. First one was a super late fair catch signal trying to bait a flag. When that didn't work, the next time he reached out to grab Nubin to get the flag and it worked. Those plays make me think he might have known what he was doing with the "wave," trying to get an edge

He claimed that he was doing that to "keep his balance while running"... Very telling he knew what he was doing.

reminded me of this play

Dejean does like to try and sneak some stuff in while returning punts. First one was a super late fair catch signal trying to bait a flag. When that didn't work, the next time he reached out to grab Nubin to get the flag and it worked. Those plays make me think he might have known what he was doing with the "wave," trying to get an edge
The late fair catch is fine. You can’t hit the returner until they possess the ball.

Top Bottom