Charles Buggs - UPDATED WITH BUGGS COMMITING TO GOPHERS! Post #58

EG#9

Reaction score
New name on the recruiting radar per Ryan James. Buggs is a 6'8 forward from Texas who re-classified to a 2012 recruit. I found some highlights on YouTube, seems like a pretty impressive kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGJ3wVAY92E

It is interesting to see the staff look at both C's and undersized (in weight) PF types with the open scholarship.

Article from Marcus about Buggs and enjoying his visit here. Seems like Tubby sees him in that Damien Johnson role. Smart kid and coach says "He can shoot the ball"

I'd post the link, but for some reason can't get it to work.

He has visited Santa Clara, with possible upcoming visits to Arkansas, Clemson, and North Caroline-Charlotte.

According to Rivals, his only offer is MN, but has interest in/from Arkansas, LSU, Marquette, Santa Clara, Wake Forest, and WVU.

Seemed to like his visit here! Hope he joins the team!

Here is the cut and paste and link to Marcus's blog

"Hargrave Military Academy (Va.) power forward Charles Buggs came away impressed with Gophers coach Tubby Smith and what the University of Minnesota has to offer after his official visit last weekend, according to his high school coach, A.W. Hamilton.

“He visited the business school (Carlson School of Management) and really enjoyed that,” Hamilton said. “He really enjoyed getting to know the coaches and players. He made a good connection with those guys. All and all from start to finish, it was a good visit for him.”

Buggs, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound fifth-year senior, also visited Santa Clara on Sept. 16. He could make official visits to Arkansas, Clemson and North Carolina-Charlotte, Hamilton said. But no other visits have been scheduled yet.

Buggs, an Arlington, Texas, native, bonded well with Smith over the weekend. Hamilton said the Gophers have been recruiting Buggs hard since the start of the school year. Smith went to see him last month before offering Buggs a scholarship.

“His potential is through the roof and he has a chance to be a very special player,” Hamilton said. “Right now he’s a face-up (power forward). He’s an extremely, extremely athletic kid. He can shoot the ball. He’s got a great skill set. He’s just a big-time athlete.”

There are no worries about Buggs’ grades. He graduated from Arlington Martin High School in Texas with a 3.7 grade point average. Buggs attended a prep school because he wanted another year to get recruited. He suffered an injury his senior season, so his Division I offers were limited.

The Gophers are hoping Buggs fills a void they’ve had on defense since Damian Johnson’s senior season in 2009-10. Johnson was a defensive stud on the perimeter and inside. He was one of the Big Ten leaders in steals and blocks. But Johnson could also rebound and slash to the basket.

“Tubby’s had success with those kinds of players,” Hamilton said, “And I think that’s why he loves Charles so much.”

Smith is expected to have two more scholarships available for the 2012 class. The Gophers have already received an oral commitment from Rice Lake (Wis.) guard Wally Ellenson. They are also targeting 7-foot Oak Hill Academy (Va.) center A.J. Hammons, 6-11 Findlay Prep (Nev.) forward Matt Wilms and 6-10 Milwaukee Riverside forward Phillip Nolan.
"
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/

He looks good and I see some of the DJ comparisons, would love to get him locked up asap. Then hopefully we can get Hammons in the spring since he said he'd likely wait until then to decide. Wally, Buggs, and Hammons would be a pretty good haul.

Really liked what I saw, clearly he is very athletic. He's what I would have imagined JaJuan Johnson to look like in High School.

Santa Clara only visit?Under the radar is about the only place Tubby can recruit.

Watched about 20 seconds and wow, his body type really does look like JJ's. His shot reminds me a bit of JJ's too.

Really liked what I saw, clearly he is very athletic. He's what I would have imagined JaJuan Johnson to look like in High School.

Blackhammer said:
Santa Clara only visit?Under the radar is about the only place Tubby can recruit.

Did you read the article? He was injured his senior year and it scared a lot of teams away. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player, personally I'd love for him to play here.

That Damien guy he's compared to was pretty "under the radar" as well.

Better shooter than DJ was especially at that age. He would be a solid recruit.

Tweet from GEricksonScout

"Charles Buggs has the #Gophers at the top of his list and may make a college decision soon. Arkansas also in the mix"

like him!

I see the comparisons of Damien and Jajuan Johnson. Seems to have a nice offensive game

I was very impressed with Jerry Kill for a couple of seconds when I saw that Tweet, thinking he can recruit against Clemson and Arkansas. Not as impressive for a basketball recruit, but still not bad.

Doesn't mean he isn't a good player

if so many coaches and the ranking services pass on him now, doesn't that suggest he probably isn't a good player?

i guess there's a small probability they could all be wrong

not suggesting he couldn't develop into a good player

if so many coaches and the ranking services pass on him now, doesn't that suggest he probably isn't a good player?

Did they pass on him? Or did they not see him play?

He was INJURED his senior year, and therefore was considered too much of a risk by most teams. I'm guessing that after his team starts playing this year he will get more looks.

He's visiting Clemson and Arkansas. Two other BCS schools. I know he doesn't have an offer from Western Michigan, but I think he may be all right.

http://www.southorangejuice.com/201...eekly-recruiting-roundup-the-charles-and-much

"Yesterday, in a story about A.W. Hamilton and Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, VA) prep school, Dave Telep broke the news that Seton Hall recently dispatched assistants to watch the 2012 PF Charles Buggs, a native of Arlington, Texas. Buggs, who is listed at an extremely lean 6'8-190lb, was injured for a portion of his senior season at Arlington Martin High and lacked focus for the other half. Still, Buggs enrolled at HMA with minimal offers (specifically, redshirt offers for low-majors) and now has head coaches from major programs coming to watch him play. According to Telep, he's already picked up offers from Marquette and BU this September. Yesterday, a source close to the staff confirmed that Buggs is definitely on the team's radar as he fits their program exceptionally well. For a 6'8PF, he can shoot it from deep and I'm told he was unconscious during the first half of the summer session before going through a drought. As we noted yesterday, Buggs is highly intelligent, an exceptional athlete with a seemingly limitless, ceiling. He projects to play a face-up four at the next level, but before arriving, he must add mass as he needs to improve his rebounding ability. "

the youtube video indicates 2011 regular and post season, so his injury didn't keep him out his entire SR year

He didn't miss his entire SR year, but that you just gave the evidence saying you were wrong. Marquette and BU offers along with Clemson and Arkansas.

More and more schools are showing interest... I think Tubby would like to quickly close the deal, but Arkansas may be in a good position and more are knocking on the door. Sooner than later would be good for the Gophers.

Not really an interior guy, though.

This guy would probably also make a fine small forward.

You're right he isn't much of an interior guy, which kind of sucks, but I'll take an athletic 4 who can face up and shoot from the outside all day long. I'd like to think he could put on 25 pounds over the course of 4 years and handle playing down low just fine towards the end of his college career. Regaredless, kid is athletic, and appears unselfish. Let's hope he is a Gopher soon!

With Elliott and Big Mo, we don't need a guy who is a banger. He'd be nice on top of the key in Tubby's High/Low offense.

Man I really hope we get this kid, he would be a great addition alongside Wally

What? Wally is something like a zero star recruit and tabbed as a role player down the road. This program needs some instant impact, 4-star type players to have any chance of finishing out of last place next season. Nothing about Wally excites me. What is it about him that has you all jacked up?

Furthermore "under the radar guys" with "late interest" don't do it either. INSTANT IMPACT!

This post comes off like I'm an a-hole, but I'm not.

What? Wally is something like a zero star recruit and tabbed as a role player down the road. This program needs some instant impact, 4-star type players to have any chance of finishing out of last place next season. Nothing about Wally excites me. What is it about him that has you all jacked up?

Furthermore "under the radar guys" with "late interest" don't do it either. INSTANT IMPACT!

We haven't had enough success to get many 4-stars. If we can get Buggs though, I would be happy. A lot of schools are lucky to get a player from one of these prep schools, great players there.

Nor am I trying to sound like an a-hole in my response.

Does the first half of this highlight do nothing for you at all? He's athletic, and appears to have a pretty damn good stroke from the outside, let alone the kid can jump out of the gym, I believe that is a state record he sets in the high jump in the second video at 6'10. I think he will handle just fine in a Minnesota uniform. Fact of the matter is, we need to improve as a program and consistently be ranked in the top 25, making the tournament every year to be getting the true IMPACT PLAYERS we are all hoping for. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN89DsICbLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDwo_3OaSg

Neutral, every time I read one of your posts I question if you are actually a Gopher fan. You constantly bitch and complain about how we don't get enough good recruits and even when we do get a top 50 player like Andre Hollins you complain about him being too small (even though he's big for a freshman) and say you aren't impressed. Either you are the most pessimistic person on this board or you are a troll.

Top Bottom