Chanhassen's Sam Macy talks about his commitment to Minnesota and upcoming senior season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Brendan:

June 4 is a day Sam Macy will never forget.

Wrapping up his junior year at Chanhassen, Macy attended a football camp at the University of Minnesota. At the end of the day, Macy was told to stay behind, as he met with Minnesota football head coach P.J. Fleck, who offered him a scholarship to play Division I football.

“It felt fantastic. It's always been an absolute dream to be a Gopher and I finally get to live that,” Macy said. “So just a really surreal experience but it was a good time at camp, I felt I got better as a football player and then obviously got to be a Gopher.”

On June 5, one day after attending the camp, Macy announced via his Twitter account that he committed to play football at Minnesota. Classified as an edge rusher, Macy was rated ninth overall out of recruits in Minnesota in his class.

The recruiting process began during Macy’s sophomore season when teams requested to make game-day visits for Chanhassen. He totaled 32 tackles through eight games in 2021 but said he weighed about 175 pounds and did not think he would have an opportunity to play for a school in a Power Five conference.

A switch flipped during his junior year. Macy was part of a Chanhassen defensive unit that allowed an average of 19 points per game, and the Storm finished 8-2 with a 23-21 loss in the section 2AAAAA championship game to Mankato West. Macy also totaled 44 tackles in eight games, sixth most on the team.

Recruiting heated up at the beginning of 2023 following the Storm’s successful season. Macy said he not only increased his weight to 195 pounds but also increased his speed, two traits he believed he needed to improve in order to reach his ultimate goal of playing for his home state.

Go Gophers!!

247 says he’s at 220. 195 would be somewhat concerning imo.

Top Bottom