Changing of the guard.

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
There's something different about this team. Something we haven't seen in Gopherland in a long time. A quiet confidence and comittment to excellence and kicking ass.

I think the skyline boys etal have taken over the personality of this team and I think we're going to like it.

+1. I've noticed in a lot of the quotes from players in Phil and MV's writings that the boys are expecting good things this season. I can't wait.

I think this team is very close to turning the corner, and while I don't think it's necessarily going to happen this year, it's not going to be nearly as dire as many predict.

I see it too. Every year, there is some team that everyone simply overlooks before the season starts. Not necessarily in the BigTen, but somewhere.

I love the 'screw you guys' attitude we have going on. This program desperately needed a chip on its shoulder... and I think we have it. It's the same attitude that goes into every true rivalry game: "we don't care if everyone knows you are better, we are gonna lay into you". Except so far it seems as if the team has taken this approach to the entire season.

What gives me the most hope or any hope for that matter is that by and large the players came to camp bigger and in shape. Other than that, it's the same old platitudes you hear every fall. Coach Hill should be the MVP.

There's something different about this team. Something we haven't seen in Gopherland in a long time. A quiet confidence and comittment to excellence and kicking ass.

I think the skyline boys etal have taken over the personality of this team and I think we're going to like it.

It does feel this way.

We tend to talk about more than just a handful of players now on either side of the ball, like we have in the past.

We hear and talk about more consistency and depth on defense. We may have a little less consistency perhaps on offensive (given the coaching turn over), but once again there is a system in place and more depth over all. Like so many Holers have said, the pieces are there and more are coming in, things make sense within system, the coaching staff is settling down, the athletes seem to be better than in recent memory, etc.

It could be said I am drinking Kool-Aid, so be it, but I am excited about this season and I truly want to see what this squad can do. I know I never learned much from playing poor competition and I always wanted to take on the best to see whether I was any good. I want to see what this new, and (I think) improved team can do on the field this year given our schedule.

There's a confidence in the staff that is different. I think Brewster finally feels truly comfortable with his staff, with his players, and the direction of the program. Brewster recruited all but the RS seniors on this team and everyone here has played their entire career with the same HC and the same message. I think that they really do believe they're far more talented than they're given credit for and are more focused than in the past

"Changing of the guard" Which one Right or Left?

I was just talking about this same exact subject with a co-worker this morning. There really is a quiet confidence coming from this team. There just seems to be a different tone coming from them then what we have seen the last few years. Pardon the pun, but there is a feel of something brewing here and I like it.

I completely agree about the confidence these kids feel. When you talk to them, they all seem to genuinely believe they can go undefeated. While I don't think that's likely to happen, it's nice to see that the players believe in themselves.

Also, a few notes from camp: Keanon Cooper, Spencer Reeves and D.L. Wilhite have all been battling nagging injuries. Leston Simpson has looked very good filling in for D.L. (who has been sitting out with a hamstring problem). Simpson is very fast for a DE and looks like he's going to be someone who can contribute this year. Also, Eddie Olsen has been working with the first string at LT. Lastly, to confirm what others have said, James Manuel is a player who could not just contribute, but maybe even start at some point this year.

haters-gonna-hate.gif
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

haters-gonna-hate.gif

That's the fanciest graphic I've seen on GH in a while.

Hmmmm....what a difference a month makes, eh Snod?

Bump. Skyline #4 looked like he had taken over someone's merry-go-round on Sat.

A tad bit premature and late to the game aren't you? get a life.

This gets better every time I read it.

Was it the positive preseason biographical pieces on the players that made people feel so positive about the team? I go into every season hopeful that the team will succeed but I am wondering if too many Phil Miller articles pushed fans to an overly rosy projection for the team.

Was it the positive preseason biographical pieces on the players that made people feel so positive about the team? I go into every season hopeful that the team will succeed but I am wondering if too many Phil Miller articles pushed fans to an overly rosy projection for the team.

Good question. I just think the media wanted to cover the team more aggressively and that is going to lead to puff-pieces. I thought this could be a .500 team, but I thought it would be 3-1 right now. I wasn't ready to go overboard, but I am truly disappointed in how the team has played.

Good question. I just think the media wanted to cover the team more aggressively and that is going to lead to puff-pieces. I thought this could be a .500 team, but I thought it would be 3-1 right now. I wasn't ready to go overboard, but I am truly disappointed in how the team has played.

Wait what? I thought it was the nasty media who knew nothing about this team? Remember? They were simply basing all of their nasty projections on the fact we were losing 9 starters on defense and didn't understand the 1985 Bears II were waiting in the wings. What was brewster's quote? Something to the effect "there are a lot of people out there who don't know nothing?" Someone dig that up because it was and is now even more priceless!

Wait what? I thought it was the nasty media who knew nothing about this team? Remember? They were simply basing all of their nasty projections on the fact we were losing 9 starters on defense and didn't understand the 1985 Bears II were waiting in the wings. What was brewster's quote? Something to the effect "there are a lot of people out there who don't know nothing?" Someone dig that up because it was and is now even more priceless!

My point was that the complaint in here over the last few seasons is that there was no Gopher football coverage and that was deemed an abomination by a lot of posters. I don't think there's any question that the coverage has been more aggressive in all outlets since spring practice and really picked up with fall practice. Newspaper coverage has changed dramatically over the past few decades, with features being puff-pieces and columnists saying what they want to say in the way they want to say it. Used to be the other way around.

I wasn't one of the complainers about the lack of coverage although I am enjoying the increased coverage. I was just making an observation and not expressing an opinion.

Top Bottom