CFP will put the 4 highest ranked conference champions as seeds 1 through 4. Best Notre Dame can do is 5 seed, must win 4 straight games.

Why do we still care about Notre Dame in 2024?
They bring value increasing revenue & viewer interest to any football conference. B1G would be the better fit over other conferences because of academics, value of conference & enhancing their brand. B1G is the right shoe for ND's foot. Plus, the more Christians the better.

They bring value increasing revenue & viewer interest to any football conference. B1G would be the better fit over other conferences because of academics, value of conference & enhancing their brand. B1G is the right shoe for ND's foot. Plus, the more Christians the better.
🥱

This feels like it will probably impact the 2nd best teams in the Big 10 or SEC more than Notre Dame.

We're inching toward the inevitable ACC vs. Big Ten playoff. It will happen within 10 years. The collpase of the ACC and/or the next round of media deals will be the catalyst.

I mean, if you follow college football, they've been pretty good. In the last 10 years, they've finished ranked 9 seasons, finished in the top 15 6 seasons.
Oh wow they must have some pretty significant trophies to show for that in the last 30 years. Oh... a citrus bowl win? I guess that's cool too.

Turns out when you are media darlings every year you get stuffed into big games you have no business playing in.

Notre Dame doesn’t need to worry about being the #1anything. Just stop this nonsense and try to focus on beating the academies ffs.
ND isn’t worried. They voted for it.

JP was just trying to get clicks and views.

Oh wow they must have some pretty significant trophies to show for that in the last 30 years. Oh... a citrus bowl win? I guess that's cool too.

Turns out when you are media darlings every year you get stuffed into big games you have no business playing in.
I get that you're dug in on your hatred for Notre Dame. If they aren't relevant, there are about 10 programs that are relevant. I doubt that's your opinion.

I'm not Notre Dame. I'm not a media darling. I just follow college football enough to know that they have been a successful program over the last 10-15 years.

I was with you until this line :)

Jokes aside, anyone trying to argue ND is either irrelevant or unsuccessful recently is out of touch or blinded by their hatred. I despise ND as much as anyone, but to say they are irrelevant is just laughably ignorant.

Are they though? There are other programs that get a lot more attention than ND does in the media.

Notre Dame also doesn't have to play in a conference championship game, which is basically an extra play-off game for everyone else.

Notre Dame also doesn't have to play in a conference championship game, which is basically an extra play-off game for everyone else.
I've always said it can be an advantage but it can be a disadvantage too in the 4 team playoffs format. If they go undefeated in the regular season, it's an advantage. They're probably in no matter what and don't have to play that extra tough game.

But if they lose 1 in the regular season, it could have been a disadvantage. 1 loss conference champs were probably getting in over them.

In the new 12 team playoff, it's a disadvantage to not have the chance at a conference championship game.

I've always said it can be an advantage but it can be a disadvantage too in the 4 team playoffs format. If they go undefeated in the regular season, it's an advantage. They're probably in no matter what and don't have to play that extra tough game.

But if they lose 1 in the regular season, it could have been a disadvantage. 1 loss conference champs were probably getting in over them.

In the new 12 team playoff, it's a disadvantage to not have the chance at a conference championship game.
Yeah, it was such a disadvantage for Big XII and Pac 10, they added a conference championship game.

It hurt more teams than it helped.

Even if you assume two of the top five conf champs are ranked outside the top 12, Notre Dame just has to be ranked in the top 10 to be guaranteed a spot in the playoff.

If they were borderline top 10, and then played in the ACC champ game: if they won, they'd be in for being the ACC champ regardless of how they did in the regular season, and if they lost it hurt them tremendously.

Seems fair. Don't have to win a conference championship game because you insist on being independent? Well then you are not eligible for the first round bye.

Who says Notre Dame should even be in the conversation with the top 4.

Notre Dame is not excluded from their peer called the main pack.

Give them Owl Canyon Community College for an opponent and be done with it.

Are they though? There are other programs that get a lot more attention than ND does in the media.
Well the program who's best post season win in the last 30 years is a citrus bowl has everyone talking about how the new college football playoff effects them sooooo... ya they are.

I get that you're dug in on your hatred for Notre Dame. If they aren't relevant, there are about 10 programs that are relevant. I doubt that's your opinion.

I'm not Notre Dame. I'm not a media darling. I just follow college football enough to know that they have been a successful program over the last 10-15 years.
So succesful over the last 30 years they have 1 citrus bowl win to show for it. I can name alot more than 10 programs that have more post-season success in the last 30 years.

that is how I understand it. this year, the top-rated G5 Conf champ was Liberty from CUSA at #23 in the final CFP rankings. but in a 12-team playoff, they would have been the #12 seed.

complicating matters, with conference realignment and the end of the Pac-12, several of this year's top 12 teams will be in new conferences next year.
Washington #2 overall goes from P12 to B10
Texas #3 overall goes from B12 to SEC
Oregon #8 overall goes from P12 to B10

so - just for fun - if we re-do the playoffs with the 5+7 model while assigning teams to their new conferences, the automatic bids go to Michigan (B1G), Texas (SEC), FSU (ACC), OK State (B12) and Liberty (CUSA).

Mich, TX, FSU and OK State are seeded 1-4. Liberty is seeded 12. Seeds 5-11 in order would be Washington, Bama, Georgia, OSU, Oregon, Missouri and PSU.

so that is just an example of what the 5+7 could look like with realignment and only 4 power conferences.

I'd buy that for a dollar.
So... it would look like this. I see some fun first round match-ups and intriguing second round matchups if top seeds hold true. The money has to be good because Oklahoma and Texas would have a decent shot at a first round bye every year. In the 28 years of the Big 12... Oklahoma (14) and Texas (4) won the big 12 in 18 of the 28 years.

First Round
1. Michgian (assumed big ten champ)
Bye

8. Ohio State
9. Oregon

4. Oklahoma State (Big 12 champ)
13. Bye

5. Washington (assumed loss in Big Ten Champ.)
12. Liberty

2. Texas (assumed SEC Champ)
15. Bye

7. Georgia
10. Missouri

3. Florida State (ACC Champ)
14. Bye

6. Alabama (assumed SEC Runner-Up)
11. Penn State

Second Round
1. Michigan
8. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma State
5. Washington

2. Texas
7. Georgia

3. Florida State
6. Alabama

Well the program who's best post season win in the last 30 years is a citrus bowl has everyone talking about how the new college football playoff effects them sooooo... ya they are.
Because they're extremely popular and are in a unique situation because not being in a conference. Not because they're some media darlings. If they are then so are about 10 other programs.

So succesful over the last 30 years they have 1 citrus bowl win to show for it. I can name alot more than 10 programs that have more post-season success in the last 30 years.
You realize that your last sentence is pretty telling? You're essentially calling them a top 11 program.

I realize that they really bother you for whatever reason but they're a decent football program. They just come with some hardcore fans and some people who have a weird obsessive hate for them.

Losing a power 4 conference championship game is really going to hurt, right? You play one extra, probably very intense and physical game, without a bye and then get to play a rested Notre Dame or some other team that might not have played in their championship? Now, a lot of those 5-12 slots will be filled by other teams in the same boat, but some will not.
So... it would look like this. I see some fun first round match-ups and intriguing second round matchups if top seeds hold true. The money has to be good because Oklahoma and Texas would have a decent shot at a first round bye every year. In the 28 years of the Big 12... Oklahoma (14) and Texas (4) won the big 12 in 18 of the 28 years.

First Round
1. Michgian (assumed big ten champ)
Bye

8. Ohio State
9. Oregon

4. Oklahoma State (Big 12 champ)
13. Bye

5. Washington (assumed loss in Big Ten Champ.)
12. Liberty

2. Texas (assumed SEC Champ)
15. Bye

7. Georgia
10. Missouri

3. Florida State (ACC Champ)
14. Bye

6. Alabama (assumed SEC Runner-Up)
11. Penn State

Second Round
1. Michigan
8. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma State
5. Washington

2. Texas
7. Georgia

3. Florida State
6. Alabama

Losing a power 4 conference championship game could really hurt, right? You play that one extra, very intense and physical game, lose your bye and then get to play a rested Notre Dame or some other team that might not have played in their championship.

Let's assume the above seedings are true this year, a more rested Penn State would play a banged-up Alabama. It could lead to more upsets than normal which I think would be fun!

And what if Alabama ran the table? They'd have lost to Texas in the SEC Championship, then beat Penn State, FSU, Texas and Michigan to win the championship. Talk about a rough five games in about a month's time!!! Add in a rivalry game the week prior and I can see more conferences scheduling like the SEC and adding a cupcake team the week before rivalry week just to try to soften up the late season schedule a little bit.

Injuries to key players will be more likely with the increased number of tough games and less premium depth because of NIL and the transfer portal. Again, I predict more upsets…and, sadly, more kids seeing their NFL draft stock fall because of unfortunate timing on injuries.

Losing a power 4 conference championship game could really hurt, right? You play that one extra, very intense and physical game, lose your bye and then get to play a rested Notre Dame or some other team that might not have played in their championship.
Agree... and I feel like Alabama has done a variation of this in the past. They've lost conference games, avoided the conference championship game - like you said, an extra intense, physical game - got some rest and recovery and were healthy for the CFP.

You realize that your last sentence is pretty telling? You're essentially calling them a top 11 program.

I realize that they really bother you for whatever reason but they're a decent football program. They just come with some hardcore fans and some people who have a weird obsessive hate for them.
How does “a lot more than 10” equal 11? Lmao
Glad to see you’ve got on my level and recognized that they are simply decent.

Hey! Some of us have a weird obsessive hate for ND but can still give them credit where it's due. They've been a damn good program ever since Brian Kelly took over, and they will always be extremely relevant. And I hate them.

How does “a lot more than 10” equal 11? Lmao
Glad to see you’ve got on my level and recognized that they are simply decent.
You're blinded by some weird hatred.

In my posts, that you responded, I said that they are "relevant", "pretty successful" and "pretty good". If you're arguing against them being one of the top 5 programs in the country, you're not arguing against anyone.

You're blinded by some weird hatred.

In my posts, that you responded, I said that they are "relevant", "pretty successful" and "pretty good". If you're arguing against them being one of the top 5 programs in the country, you're not arguing against anyone.
Were you gonna answer the question or no?

I’ll ask another one. If you rank Notre Dame top 10. Where is Wisconsin? Because a program with 5 NY6 wins in the last 30 years is infinitely more relevant than someone with 0 right? Hell even Nebraska has 5!

Last edited:

IMHO, it should be. I'm not going to say all, but realistically the P4 conference champs are going to have to play extra games against what....Top 15....maybe top 10 or top 5 teams, where ND could just add one more practice game against a middling MAC or Conf USA team.

Sources: SEC, Big Ten would hold rights to first-round byes in new proposed CFP format​

Top Bottom