CFP Poll Tuesday, November 5th

Does anyone believe that if the NCAA announced we are canceling the rest of the regular season, and instituting a 16 team playoff, that last night the CFP would have put Michigan and Wisconsin in that playoff and left 8-0 Minnesota home? If they wouldnt have done that, then the ranking is stupid.

It is, but that’s the problem with compounding of errors via using human polls (including preseason and early season polls which is mind boggling) and preexisting bias/eye test in the first place. Do the human poll ratings of certain teams really mean they are the 8th, 12th, 20th best team in the nation? No. All that should matter by the end of the season is scoreboard but CFP has long been crippled by the eye test thing. Two of the national champions from the last 5 years wouldn’t have even been in the title game under the old systems.

The true mission of the committee is to determine the best 12 teams in the nation. That is, to fill the NY6 bowl games, two of which are for the top 4 in a playoff.

There are of course caveats, like the top ranked G5 team crashing the party. And people like to know how "close" they are to the top 12, so they do a full top 25 ranking. But it's really all about the top 12.

As of our first eight wins, they legitimately felt that we haven't played strong enough competition to prove we are a top 12 team. For right or wrong.

It is, but that’s the problem with compounding of errors via using human polls (including preseason and early season polls which is mind boggling) and preexisting bias/eye test in the first place. Do the human poll ratings of certain teams really mean they are the 8th, 12th, 20th best team in the nation? No. All that should matter by the end of the season is scoreboard but CFP has long been crippled by the eye test thing. Two of the national champions from the last 5 years wouldn’t have even been in the title game under the old systems.

Urban Meyer did a good BTN piece on your points a week or two ago:

Quote: When I see people say “the look test” or “I like this team” and I look at the qualifications of the person saying that, I’m thinking, now wait a minute, you’re making decisions that are going to change history. I would like to take the human element or subjectivity out of it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tFkox2r0bAQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom