CFN's Fearless Forecast: Gophers vs. Syracuse

I can't see us scoring 37, or giving up 27. Maybe 27-17 Gopher win but 37 is a lot of points and our defense should be more like the first half of last season.

I have us picked at 38. But that's because I'm predicting some short fields not because we'll kick ass on offense.

I really think our offense will kick ass in this game. The 'Cuse D is small and young not a favorable combination against an offense that claims size, experience and speed. This game is MADE for our offense. If we don't score at least 40 against Syracuse we need to question where we're going offensively this year.

Our size alone should allow us to run effectively against a D line that is even more undersized than some of the old Gopher D lines. Throw in a decimated and inexperienced linebacker corps and the secondary should be tackling our running backs all day.

I actually like this take, I think both teams will score some points. I feel Cuse will make too many costly mistakes though.

the 27 point against MN is due to Cosgrove.

Dave Mona does a good job, but Dave Lee has got to get canned. CCO should dump Mike Max and Sid too.

At least 40???

Does anyone pay attention to:

1. Our depth at almost all positions
2. Our experience at the skill positions
3. Our talent
4. Syracuse's complete lack of talent?

Minnesota 44, Syracuse 10. Most Orange fans will be leaving in the third quarter...

Does anyone pay attention to:

1. Our depth at almost all positions...[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!!

I'm one of those guys who think it's been the lack of Depth that has killed the Gophers through the last few years not the Coaching or lack thereof.

Decker and a number of the O-Linemen getting hurt during the losing streak was in everybody's mind. Weber's inability to find another Receiver or lack of time to do it certainly stood out. Some forget that the Defense also was wounded during that period.

The last three or four games of the season many people (for sure anybody who wasn't a fan) seem to forget that on Defense the teams' best corner (Sherels) and two leading tacklers (Theret and Campbell) all were hurt. They played hurt or didn't play at all. They are all healthy now and they even have guys to back them-up!:eek:

Sure losing Willie V. will hurt the Defense, but bringing back the other three should more than counter that loss. Granted, last year they probably only add Wisconsin to their win total with those guys healthy because of the lousy O-line play. This though IS a new year.

I'm more inclined to agree with the theory that Syracuse looks more like Gophers of 2008, without the "throw all the old Offense out" part, not a team that just needed a little "tweaking". If they stay healthy they can surprise some people down the road. That's going to be tough. I don't think they'll suprise Minnesota for a novel reason: all the damn attention that Paulus has brought to the game!

Even though one could normally assume that players could easily be looking forward to Air Force and the opening of TCF a nationally televised game that people have been talking about for weeks should bring their focus to bear on Syracuse. I'm out in Lake Tahoe and hell, I'm even going to bet on it !;)

Top Bottom