CFN: Predicting Every Team, Every Game (Minnesota: 6-6; win over Iowa)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per CFN:

2024 Minnesota Football Schedule​

Predicted Record: Spring 6-6

Aug 29 North Carolina W P4
Sept 7 Rhode Island W FCS
Sept 14 Nevada W Gof5
Sept 21 Iowa W Big Ten
Sept 28 at Michigan L Big Ten
Oct 5 USC L Big Ten
Oct 12 at UCLA L Big Ten
Oct 19 OPEN DATE
Oct 26 Maryland W Big Ten
Nov 2 at Illinois L Big Ten
Nov 9 at Rutgers W Big Ten
Nov 16 OPEN DATE
Nov 23 Penn State L Big Ten
Nov 30 at Wisconsin L Big Ten

Missing: Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Oregon, Purdue, Washington

Go Gophers!!

So pretty much a copy-paste from 2023. Here come the "creative" 2024 previews.

Not that it couldn't happen, but I'm skeptical of a world where we beat Iowa but not UCLA. UCLA has been an average team and have a new coaching staff this year. I think they are more of a middling Big Ten team at the moment than people think. Iowa will be tough as always but if we beat Iowa, I think our odds vs UCLA are pretty good.

Not that it couldn't happen, but I'm skeptical of a world where we beat Iowa but not UCLA. UCLA has been an average team and have a new coaching staff this year. I think they are more of a middling Big Ten team at the moment than people think. Iowa will be tough as always but if we beat Iowa, I think our odds vs UCLA are pretty good.
You never know. Last year, we beat the division champs. Went 1-4 against the rest....

With predictions on paper ahead of time, the reality often is there's a game you win that you weren't supposed to & a game you lose you weren't supposed to.

I got no issue when predictors like this take their shot at one.

I think we’ll beat UCLA, unless the road game atmosphere is too distracting.

Comparing rosters, it seems we should beat Illinois, too. Big Bert has some kind of hex on PJ (and the Gophers), however, and that psychological reality is starting to dawn on folks outside the Gopher--Illinois world.

I'm not putting UNC in the win column yet, although the loss of Drake Maye could mean the team will be struggling to find its offensive identity early in the season. If we beat UNC, I believe it will be because our defense is ready to go and has a great game.

The Iowa and Wisconsin games will both be tough; each has a very good roster. If we could beat them both in 2024--something that hasn't happened for the Gophers in the 21st Century--that would make the season from my standpoint.

The Gophers might be a 4 win team, as the bettors are lining up. I think 6 wins is realistic, 7 is certainly possible and, if we have some luck and get the breaks (including no key injuries), 8 could happen. Brosmer will certainly be a factor, but a return to good defense will be an even larger factor. Go Gophers!

Is UCLA really that good of a team that almost every prognosticator picks them to beat the Gophers?

Is UCLA really that good of a team that almost every prognosticator picks them to beat the Gophers?
They’re definitely a sexier program

But they lost their coach, a lot of their talent, and they’re under .500 in 5 of the last 8 seasons

....I think our odds vs UCLA are pretty good.

Agree.

By the way, Gophers have a strong run game plus a really good QB. Let's see how the defense plays -- usually good with the Gophers, usually the defense is good under PJ Fleck.

Predicted Record: 9-3

Aug 29 North Carolina W P4
Sept 7 Rhode Island W FCS
Sept 14 Nevada W Gof5
Sept 21 Iowa W Big Ten
Sept 28 at Michigan L Big Ten
Oct 5 USC L Big Ten
Oct 12 at UCLA W Big Ten
Oct 19 OPEN DATE
Oct 26 Maryland W Big Ten
Nov 2 at Illinois W Big Ten
Nov 9 at Rutgers W Big Ten
Nov 16 OPEN DATE
Nov 23 Penn State L Big Ten
Nov 30 at Wisconsin W Big Ten

Just to be clear, 7-5 is not acceptable. The goal, no matter how big the conference, is to win the Big 10. Last happened in my first year of life and that was a ‘co-championship’ that seems a bit hollow.

Just to be clear, 7-5 is not acceptable. The goal, no matter how big the conference, is to win the Big 10. Last happened in my first year of life and that was a ‘co-championship’ that seems a bit hollow.
Who made you Pope? When the bettors have you at four wins, seven wins is acceptable to me. It is better than acceptable; it exceeds expectations.

The key will be Bosmer. As he goes, we will go.

Overall though, I see us making a bowl game at 7-5 which is a step in the right direction.

As long as we play solid football with creative coaching from time to time — let the chips fall. Last year was the least fun I’ve ever had as a fan the games sucked to watch. If the games are fun to watch and we win some more than we lose then I’m OK. Tough conference—tough schedule.

This is the year PJ finally beats Bielema and Mr and Mrs Ally will be at the Rose bowl to watch the Gophers spank UCLA

Agree.

By the way, Gophers have a strong run game plus a really good QB. Let's see how the defense plays -- usually good with the Gophers, usually the defense is good under PJ Fleck.
How do you know we have a really good qb? He’s never played at this level. I hope he’s good but no one knows how he’ll adjust.

if the secondary holds up, I could see 7-5 or 8-4. If the secondary does not hold up, this team will struggle to make 6-6.

why - if the secondary doesn't hold up, then MN would have to win shoot-outs - scoring 30 to 35-pts at least - and unless Brosmer is really bleepin' good, I don't see a Fleck team going wide-open enough to win shoot-outs.

Top Bottom