CFN: Minnesota Golden Gophers College Football Preview 2023: Offense ("Life is going to be much easier with a loaded receiving corps to work with")

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CFN:

The offensive backfield has to come together fast. Athan Kaliakmanis got his feet wet last season at quarterback, and Western Michigan transfer RB Sean Tyler is a big-time producer who’ll bring a lot more flash to the ground attack, but it’s asking a lot to replace the production of Mohamed Ibrahim and the experience of QB Tanner Morgan - even if Kaliakmanis took over late in the year and threw for 319 yards in the win over Wisconsin. Fortunately ...

Life is going to be much easier with a loaded receiving corps to work with. Chris Autman-Bell is back after suffering a leg injury early last season - he was the top target in 2021 catching six of the 12 touchdown throws - but he’s hardly alone. Brevyn Spann-Ford is one of the Big Ten’s better tight ends, and in from the transfer portal comes Corey Crooms from Western Michigan and Elijah Spencer from Charlotte. Both of them are very experienced, and very, very good.

Finding parts and production for the offensive line hasn’t been a problem under PJ Fleck, but you don’t get better by losing the new starting center for the New York Giants. John Michael Schmitz is the big hole to fill, but G Quinn Carroll and OT Aireontae Ersery have all-Big Ten talent.

Go Gophers!!

CFN:

2023 CFN Preseason Prediction: 8-4
2022 Record: 9-4
2023 Record: 0-0

Aug 26 OPEN DATE
Aug 31 Nebraska W
Sept 9 Eastern Michigan W
Sept 16 at North Carolina W
Sept 23 at Northwestern W
Sept 30 Louisiana W
Oct 7 Michigan L
Oct 14 OPEN DATE
Oct 21 at Iowa L
Oct 28 Michigan State W
Nov 4 Illinois W
Nov 11 at Purdue L
Nov 18 at Ohio State L
Nov 25 Wisconsin W

Go Gophers!!

per CFN:

The offensive backfield has to come together fast. Athan Kaliakmanis got his feet wet last season at quarterback, and Western Michigan transfer RB Sean Tyler is a big-time producer who’ll bring a lot more flash to the ground attack, but it’s asking a lot to replace the production of Mohamed Ibrahim and the experience of QB Tanner Morgan - even if Kaliakmanis took over late in the year and threw for 319 yards in the win over Wisconsin. Fortunately ...

Life is going to be much easier with a loaded receiving corps to work with. Chris Autman-Bell is back after suffering a leg injury early last season - he was the top target in 2021 catching six of the 12 touchdown throws - but he’s hardly alone. Brevyn Spann-Ford is one of the Big Ten’s better tight ends, and in from the transfer portal comes Corey Crooms from Western Michigan and Elijah Spencer from Charlotte. Both of them are very experienced, and very, very good.

Finding parts and production for the offensive line hasn’t been a problem under PJ Fleck, but you don’t get better by losing the new starting center for the New York Giants. John Michael Schmitz is the big hole to fill, but G Quinn Carroll and OT Aireontae Ersery have all-Big Ten talent.

Go Gophers!!
I love that Fiutak recognizes the WR room (and TE) is loaded.

And, I love having a 7th (7th?!) year guy (class act and leader) who has made some big time plays returning.

And, I love that Pete did some research and knows Crooms and Spencer are big time transfers.

But, the guy to watch and who showed his potential as last year went on and reportedly has been carrying through on that progression is former 4-star recruit out of KC, Daniel Jackson.

per CFN:

Go Gophers!!
Again, love that Fiutak recognizes Athan shined at end of year.

Love that Fiutak did research and knows Tyler is big time.

And, I love Mo and Tanner to death and respect the blood, sweat, and tears they gave to program.

But, I am VERY excited to see what an offense built around Athan looks like and VERY excited to see what the three new backs can bring to the table.

Nice having a very solid Cole Kramer and Bryce Williams as options at QB and RB.

But, the guy to watch and who showed his potential as last year went on and reportedly has been carrying through on that progression is former 4-star recruit out of KC, Daniel Jackson.
Media keeps sleeping on Daniel Jackson. He already has a loaded highlight reel of "wow, how did he catch that?" plays. He's going to have a huge season.

Media keeps sleeping on Daniel Jackson. He already has a loaded highlight reel of "wow, how did he catch that?" plays. He's going to have a huge season.
Seemed like he got much stronger at going up and getting the contested catches last year. He showed talent before that, but that was a key component it looked like he added.

I will be happy to see pass-catching RBs as an added wrinkle to the offense.

The key to the season's fortunes starts with the Offensive Line.

CFN:

2023 CFN Preseason Prediction: 8-4
2022 Record: 9-4
2023 Record: 0-0

Aug 26 OPEN DATE
Aug 31 Nebraska W
Sept 9 Eastern Michigan W
Sept 16 at North Carolina W
Sept 23 at Northwestern W
Sept 30 Louisiana W
Oct 7 Michigan L
Oct 14 OPEN DATE
Oct 21 at Iowa L
Oct 28 Michigan State W
Nov 4 Illinois W
Nov 11 at Purdue L
Nov 18 at Ohio State L
Nov 25 Wisconsin W

Go Gophers!!
I know we probably gotta lose sometime. And I know it is on the road but I do think we can beat Iowa and Purdue. I like 10 and 2.

I know we probably gotta lose sometime. And I know it is on the road but I do think we can beat Iowa and Purdue. I like 10 and 2.
The homer in me thinks its possible to go 10-2.
That means a win at UNC, at Iowa, and upsetting Michigan, but also losing a head-scratcher game to Illinois.

The homer in me thinks its possible to go 10-2.
That means a win at UNC, at Iowa, and upsetting Michigan, but also losing a head-scratcher game to Illinois.
I'm on board! Probably like your version better with THE Jug!

Sheeesh! If we win all three trophies...Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan...how much of a bump does PJ get??? Do we build a statue of PJ right on the corner between Williams Arena and Huntingtons Bank Stadium?? Dang!! That's a thought to get you through the day! Ski U Mah, Row the Boat, GO GOPHERS!

When is the last time that happened?
Oh my, 1967, 1965, 1960
That is it since 1960. 3X

You know the furniture store guy in Houston who gives you your furniture free if the Astros win the World Series etc. Spend $3,000 and if the Astros win you get it free. Mattress Mack I think.
Well, somebody in Minnesota needs to do the same here for the parlay.
Mattress Mack hedges his offers with gambling tickets from Vegas and elsewhere to cover the cost if his customers win.

IT is an opportunity that needs to be a goal for the Gophers.
"Great moments are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, this season, boys."
(substituted season for tonight- Herb Brooks )

Last edited:

I agree. If we can take 2 out of the n.c., msu, mi,osu I don't think we loose another and we win the west outright...

Sooner or later, the monkey will come off the Gophers' back.

Iowa seems to have the upper hand in close games. Inopportune injuries or bad play-calling decisions flipped the victory in Iowa's favor.

The Ferentz's know that the Gophers will own them sooner or later. PJ Fleck is one or two transformative recruits away from achieving the ultimate goal of besting all their key rivals.

Gopher Football is exciting because they maximize their talent and leadership on the field. The players are selfless and they play as a well-oiled unit.

This is the season to see Unicorns and smell roses, so enjoy it before the injury reports come out of the Fall camp and the first bad loss happens.

This is the season to see Unicorns and smell roses, so enjoy it before the injury reports come out of the Fall camp and the first bad loss happens.
giphy.webp

why is Lemeke Brockington being completely overlooked. if he was the leading receiver this year it wouldn't surprise me at all. he has great chemistry with AK
I really like Brockington and think he could end up being really good. But that would surprise me. It would mean either there are a lot of injuries or he is just an absolute stud. Otherwise I don't think he gets enough reps to lead the team.

why is Lemeke Brockington being completely overlooked. if he was the leading receiver this year it wouldn't surprise me at all. he has great chemistry with AK
Did one of the players say Lemeke is squatting 5-600 lbs and is as strong as Rondale Moore? I'd be ok if he has a breakout year.

I really like Brockington and think he could end up being really good. But that would surprise me. It would mean either there are a lot of injuries or he is just an absolute stud. Otherwise I don't think he gets enough reps to lead the team.
I agree. I think Brockington will be a starter next year. This year I think the line-up will be:

Starters: Autman-Bell, Jackson, Crooms.
First off the bench: Brockington or Spencer.

Purdue will need to be 8-1 and ranked to make me think that's a loss for the Gophs
I think all three WRs plus BSF have a chance to lead, whether it be in catches, yards or TDs. I see it likely that, if healthy, CrAB and Jackson have around 1,000 yards each with BSF in the 500-700 range. Hard to predict the split, but my feeling is those three will account for 2,500 receiving yards.

at the Gophers 'interview day' this week, Autman-Bell told the media that he has not been cleared for full contact, but he hopes to be ready to play for the opener - IF the medical staff agrees.

look - I'd love to see him back at 100% or close to 100% - but if there's any question about him being ready, then I think the smart thing to do is hold him out of the opener and work him in slowly during the non-conference games. The Gophs have enough depth at WR where they can afford to be careful.

I agree. I think Brockington will be a starter next year. This year I think the line-up will be:

Just can't overestimate the receiving talent on this year's team. There will be six "leading" receivers during the year, just not on the same Saturday. It would be pretty difficult today to predict who will have the leading stats at the end of the year. Could be any one of the wides or Spann-Ford.

Purdue will need to be 8-1 and ranked to make me think that's a loss for the Gophs

I think all three WRs plus BSF have a chance to lead, whether it be in catches, yards or TDs. I see it likely that, if healthy, CrAB and Jackson have around 1,000 yards each with BSF in the 500-700 range. Hard to predict the split, but my feeling is those three will account for 2,500 receiving yards.

I like Autman-Bell a lot, but i'm also looking forward to finally cycling out the guys who got the extra Covid year. Not just on the gophers but in general.

Guys in their third year should not be being blocked by guys in the seventh (!)

I think this has played a role in the crazy transfer portal activity, and hopefully that dies down somewhat when the wave passes,

I like Autman-Bell a lot, but i'm also looking forward to finally cycling out the guys who got the extra Covid year. Not just on the gophers but in general.

Guys in their third year should not be being blocked by guys in the seventh (!)

I think this has played a role in the crazy transfer portal activity, and hopefully that dies down somewhat when the wave passes,
I get it, and CrABs situation is somewhat unique, but if Fleck is true to his word, it is pretty much a meritocracy so if that 3rd year player is better, they will supplant the 7th year player.

More receiving and running weapons on the field is something for Gopher fans to enjoy this season.

Kind of sounds to me like we should go 5 wide and leak Spann Ford to the open area?

Top Bottom