CFN’s B1G predictions for every school (Gophers 8-4, 5-4)

pk2

Reaction score
Collegefootballnews.com put out its spring predictions for next season. Here’s their take on the Gophers:

Minnesota Predictions​

Spring Prediction: 8-4
Big Ten Prediction: 5-4
Aug 31 Nebraska W
Sept 9 Eastern Michigan W
Sept 16 at North Carolina W
Sept 23 at Northwestern W
Sept 30 Louisiana W
Oct 7 Michigan L
Oct 14 OPEN DATE
Oct 21 at Iowa L
Oct 28 Michigan State W
Nov 4 Illinois W
Nov 11 at Purdue L
Nov 18 at Ohio State L
Nov 25 Wisconsin W

Others of note are Iowa (8-4, 5-4), Nebraska (7-5, 4-5), and skunks (9-3, 7-2).

For the full article:

Apparently there are 2 B1G West divisions this season...

Eventually, we'll beat Iowa and the streak will end. We have been so very close.

Not that I've studied Purdue's roster this offseason, but with their coaching change and with O'Connell gone I have a hard time seeing that game as a loss for us.

On the other side of the ledger, I am always nervous playing Illinois. And on the road vs North Carolina might be a tough one.

Last edited:

Agree with the 8 win +\- 2 suggestion.
Could easily beat Purdue and Iowa

Could easily lose to two of Nebraska, North Carolina, Michigan state, Illinois, wisconsin.

This schedule and you just never know how teams are going to shake out.

UNC on the road vs Maye. Iowa curse. Illinois Bert troubles. Wisc will be out for blood. Same with Neb, they’re sick of losing to us.

OSU and Mich the same year.

I could see just about as much of a wild swing in W’s this season as any in Fleck’s tenure.

Could be a brutal year or could be an amazing year. Or anything in between.

8-4 feels like a pretty safe prediction. It has been our record in 4 of our last 8 12 game regular seasons, In the other four, we have been +2, -2, -3, and -3 from that total. Kind of impressive we've won 8 regular season games in those 8 seasons, but never once landed on 7 or 9 during that stretch.

Collegefootballnews.com put out its spring predictions for next season. Here’s their take on the Gophers:

Minnesota Predictions​

Spring Prediction: 8-4
Big Ten Prediction: 5-4
Aug 31 Nebraska W
Sept 16 at North Carolina W
Sept 30 Louisiana W
Oct 7 Michigan L
Oct 14 OPEN DATE
Oct 21 at Iowa L
Oct 28 Michigan State W
Nov 4 Illinois W
Nov 11 at Purdue L
Nov 18 at Ohio State L
Nov 25 Wisconsin W

Others of note are Iowa (8-4, 5-4), Nebraska (7-5, 4-5), and skunks (9-3, 7-2).

For the full article:

These predictions have some credibility as they don't have Nebraska winning the National Championship (or B1G West for that matter).

8-4 would be a solid year considering we have Michigan and Ohio State scheduled.

I feel good about this roster. Keep the injuries to the non-severe, short term variety and we'll knock out an 8+ win season.

My changes to this prediction:

Spring Prediction: 9-3
Big Ten Prediction: 6-2
Aug 31 Nebraska W
Sept 16 at North Carolina L
Sept 30 Louisiana W
Oct 7 Michigan L
Oct 14 OPEN DATE
Oct 21 at Iowa W
Oct 28 Michigan State W
Nov 4 Illinois W
Nov 11 at Purdue W
Nov 18 at Ohio State L
Nov 25 Wisconsin W

This is what I could see happening. I feel PJ is due to break through in Iowa. New offense may just do the trick.

I could also see 10-2, PJ usually performs well on the road.

Would love to beat Michigan but don’t see it happening.

Don’t put too much credibility in this guy, he has Wisconsin finishing 7-2 in conference and beating OSU.

Also has Nebby with a winning record and beating coach Prime at Boulder. Illinois beating PSU as well.

Last edited:

Nebraska with a winning record seems to be a reach to me.......
I actually think 6-7 wins is a pretty good prediction for them.
They’re instantly going to be more fundamental than under frost…and they have the following teams on the schedule who I think they’re more talented than or at least close in talent:
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois
Louisiana tech
Northern Illinois
Colorado
Maryland
Michigan state

I will be happy with 8 wins with that schedule.
Totally agree. If things break our way could win 9 and if they don’t could win 6. I think 7-8 wins would be ok for next season

11-1 splitting with Mich and OSU. A top 10 defense and the best offense in memory.

Last edited:

Another article gives the author another paycheck and that s the limit of its value.
I guess you could say the NE game could give an inkling of what the conference W/L will be.
I've studied the schedule and all the opponents meticulously.
I can't find a loss anywhere!

Until the team starts 7-1 and finishes 1-3

Then everyone will be pissed
I probably would be. It definitely feels better to have a team overcome some early struggles and finish strong than to have a potentially historic season going on and then collapsing. We felt pretty good last year about going 8-4 last year and ending with a big win for the Axe. I submit that if the games had happened in a different order, and we were 8-0 (which probably would have had us in or near the top 10), and then ended with four straight losses to Iowa, Purdue, Illinois, and Penn State to miss out on the B1G title game and plummet out of the rankings, we would be going through the offseason with a much more sour taste in our mouth despite the record being the same.

Top Bottom