CBS: Penn State should have punted on the Joe Paterno 50th anniversary ceremony

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Solomon:

Penn State is actually going through with Saturday's tone-deaf commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Joe Paterno's first game.
Penn State said Thursday the ceremony will "focus on the commitment he had to student-athletes and academics, as well as highlights of the 1966 game." The two co-captains from 1966 will participate in the coin toss. There will be introductions of other players and video presentations on Paterno's impact to his players.

"Coach Paterno wanted academic success not only for his players but also for every student who came through Penn State," Nittany Lions athletic director Sandy Barbour said in a statement. "Together with his wife, Sue, they helped countless students become leaders and earn a Penn State diploma. Our plans are consistent with the wishes of the Paterno family as well, with a focus on the players and their accomplishments at Penn State and beyond."

Paterno's legacy remains complicated and unfinished because of how he handled the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal.
Just two months ago, unsealed court documents revealed allegations that Paterno knew about Sandusky's abuse of kids as early as 1976. These were unproven accusations in a civil suit under sworn testimony, which Penn State chose not to challenge. Still, the whole Paterno controversy only surfaced publicly because Penn State tried to get its insurance company to pay off settlements to Sandusky victims.

So here comes Penn State on Saturday against Temple with a commemoration that may satisfy nobody and anger everybody. Note to Penn State: When your administrators won't conduct interviews about the commemoration in advance, as Penn State refuses to do, it's a good sign you don't need to honor Paterno right now.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...on-the-joe-paterno-50th-anniversary-ceremony/

Go Gophers!!

Penn State's administrators and its fans are full of clowns. Joe Pa knew about everything for decades. The guy was a disgrace who could win football games. Some people have horrible priorities.

Events like this are how you know college football is too big for its own good.

Penn State's administrators and its fans are full of clowns. Joe Pa knew about everything for decades. The guy was a disgrace who could win football games. Some people have horrible priorities.

Events like this are how you know college football is too big for its own good.

+1

I hope Temple fans show up in droves with Cosby sweaters to show their support of another rapist.

What.The.Actual.****.Are.You.Thinking.PedophileState?

Tone-deaf is spot on. Hope Temple not only beats them, but does it handily.

Disgusting and clueless. We need to go there and get the W.

The problem with some football coaches- especially at the major college level- is that they can get so absorbed
in their jobs that anything else just skips right off them. There could be a nuclear attack and they would still be
watching fil, recruiting, etc. Its not 100% for some, its 125%.

The problem with some football coaches- especially at the major college level- is that they can get so absorbed
in their jobs that anything else just skips right off them. There could be a nuclear attack and they would still be
watching fil, recruiting, etc. Its not 100% for some, its 125%.

Different circumstances for sure, but that's the route J Robinson took.

What I don't get is Penn State administration took down the statue and has pretty much kept a distance from it all and then this insanely out of touch thing........ da fuq?

CslWzwdUEAAV3Pp

Sent from my keyboard using fingers.

I wonder if Satan turned the flames down enough for Joe Pa to watch the ceremony?

Paterno is a deplorable individual - this whole celebration is a disgrace to the conference.

Paterno is a deplorable individual - this whole celebration is a disgrace to the conference.

Agreed. When Delaney followed suit with the NCAA by reducing PSU's sanctions, we became culpable in this whole mess. We should be lobbying to kick PSU out of the conference but instead we have this.

I won't watch next week's game and plan to shred my tickets the next time PSU comes to TCF.

Agreed. When Delaney followed suit with the NCAA by reducing PSU's sanctions, we became culpable in this whole mess. We should be lobbying to kick PSU out of the conference but instead we have this.

I won't watch next week's game and plan to shred my tickets the next time PSU comes to TCF.

NCAA and B1G were stupid in their actions, but I'll be watching the Gopher win over Penn St.

NCAA and B1G were stupid in their actions, but I'll be watching the Gopher win over Penn St.

Yea, I want to line up and beat them every time. And its not the kids, its the culture at the school - no reason to harass the student athletes for the history of child rape at the institution.

Words do not exist that describe my disgust at this backpedaling by the NCAA and B1G Conference.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting for Lordshawesome to post that he thinks kids should be treated better. That dude can really take a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even The Onion understands:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It is not a great academic school, the football team was/is their singular claim to national relevance.
It is physically isolated and the isolation breeds an insular culture.
They are to be pitied.

It is not a great academic school, the football team was/is their singular claim to national relevance.
It is physically isolated and the isolation breeds an insular culture.
They are to be pitied.

So...wisconsin, but with better academics and actual football championships to claim national relevance.

Top Bottom