CBS: Candid Coaches: Which on-court rule change should come next to men's college basketball?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Basically they want college to be the NBA.

Per CBS:

If you could change one on-court rule, what would it be?​

Advance the ball in final two minutes (after a team timeout)28%
24-second shot clock21%
Four quarters20%
Instant replay/coaches challenge/improve monitor reviews7%
FIBA goaltend rule5%
Change the flop technical4%

Quotes that stood out​

Advance ball past half-court after a TO​

• "I think it makes games more exciting. It's more exciting for fans, it gives teams opportunity to execute sideline out-of-bounds sets, puts more pressure for teams on defense. I think it puts a lot more emphasis on late-game execution, where you can get the buzzer-beater the length of the court, but it's so much more difficult."

• "More exciting, more strategies involved."

• "I don't have the ability to prove this, but if you measure over the amount of time the number of failed full-court (end-of-game) plays, the game would be far more exciting if you advance the ball. I've had a couple of moments where we've made some full-court shots, and they were just lucky. To me, it's completely bonkers that that's the product we're putting out there. I've lost so many more games not being able to advance the ball — and I've won so many games because the other team couldn't advance the ball."

Move to 24-second shot clock​

• "A 24-second shot clock would make our game faster. And teach players how to play. Instead of set-happy micromanaging coaches."

• "FIBA and NBA, it's at 24. It will give teams more possessions and will help the pace of the game."

Ditch two halves for four quarters​

• "There needs to be uniformity across the game. I would go to quarters to get on the same page as all other organized basketball leagues."

Go Gophers!!

Even though the idea of advancing to half court seems a bit illogical from a common sense standpoint, I do think it is hard to argue it doesn't improve late game drama if a team has 2.5 seconds and now has a catch and shoot or one dribble and shoot chance.

I think the shot clock is fine where it is now.

Quarters would be OK, but if the big issue is fouls, couldn't they also just bump up the foul limit a bit (say 9 and 12)?

The one rule I don't really like they mentioned is the flop technical foul. If the official is convinced enough of a flop to issue a technical foul, why then can't they just keep the whistle in their pocket and say it wasn't a foul and play on. It's as if they are saying 'We don't want you to try to fool us, but we already know when you are trying to fool us.'

Completely against changing the shot clock. "Set-happy micromanaging coaches" keep this game separate from the NBA where it should be. Teams like Iowa play fast regardless which changes the pace of the games they play. You also get slower teams like Wisconsin which balances out the overall pace of college basketball. Everyone going run and gun is what ruined the NBA for me personally as there is little to no defense left when everyone plays that style.

I want some type of limit/restrictions on reviews.

the officials should have 60 seconds tops to review a play. after that, if they don't have a definitive look at the play, the result stands as called on the floor.

there is nothing worse than watching a close, exciting game - and have everything come to a screeching halt when the officials spend 5 minutes starting at a monitor to try and decide whether the ball deflected off someone's fingernail.

I would be in favor of a system where coaches get 1 challenge a half - but officials could not institute a review. force the coaches to decide when a challenge is necessary.

I abhor advancing the ball after a TO.

If my team has spent all game frustrating the other team, and making them work to get it over half court, why should that team be rewarded for doing nothing but calling a TO.

Don't turn this into the NBA, I don't want that.

I want some type of limit/restrictions on reviews.
When the refs stop play for a review the play/rule being reviewed should be announced to the crowd in attendance. Nothing worse than sitting in over-priced seats and not knowing what they’re trying to figure out. We pay the big bucks to attend and those watching at home get all the info.
F*** em!! 😡

The darkhorse rule change for me is the FIBA goaltending one. In FIBA, you can do anything once the ball hits the rim, whether it's in the cylinder or not. It's not that this "fixes" anything, but it would have an interesting effect - more crashing of the boards and potentially rekindling the importance of the big man who can rebound/defend at the rim.

Completely against changing the shot clock. "Set-happy micromanaging coaches" keep this game separate from the NBA where it should be. Teams like Iowa play fast regardless which changes the pace of the games they play. You also get slower teams like Wisconsin which balances out the overall pace of college basketball. Everyone going run and gun is what ruined the NBA for me personally as there is little to no defense left when everyone plays that style.

100% agree. Since there's not NBA talent across 350+ teams, the college game would get sloppier. I like that college basketball isn't the NBA. I honestly view any college coach that wants to go to a 24 sec shot clock as lazy and not wanting to put in the work to make an offense that works for your team.

100% agree. Since there's not NBA talent across 350+ teams, the college game would get sloppier. I like that college basketball isn't the NBA. I honestly view any college coach that wants to go to a 24 sec shot clock as lazy and not wanting to put in the work to make an offense that works for your team.

These takes on the 24 second shot clock are lazy. The NBA implemented that in 1954. So that's when the NBA was ruined? 70 years ago?

The NBA is the way it is today because of money, and partially due to AAU. When everyone is making millions of dollars, and are incentivized for putting up individual numbers, you get players that care more about offense than defense. Some of that begins at the AAU level.

College basketball should add both the 24 second shot clock and advancing the ball after a timeout under 2 min.

I abhor advancing the ball after a TO.

If my team has spent all game frustrating the other team, and making them work to get it over half court, why should that team be rewarded for doing nothing but calling a TO.

Don't turn this into the NBA, I don't want that.
totally agree. its dumb

These takes on the 24 second shot clock are lazy. The NBA implemented that in 1954. So that's when the NBA was ruined? 70 years ago?

The NBA is the way it is today because of money, and partially due to AAU. When everyone is making millions of dollars, and are incentivized for putting up individual numbers, you get players that care more about offense than defense. Some of that begins at the AAU level.

College basketball should add both the 24 second shot clock and advancing the ball after a timeout under 2 min.
The NBA goes in cycles in terms of play style. Was it in the 70's that teams regularly put up around 120 per game? Maybe it was just the return of that style that turned me off as I would prefer final scores in the 90's. There may be a return to defense in the future, but as you mention the AAU scene isn't helping. I will concede that the 24 second shot clock is not solely to blame for the NBA sloppy play, but I still don't want to see it in college basketball. A longer shot clock still provides more opportunity for different on court philosophies.

Even though the idea of advancing to half court seems a bit illogical from a common sense standpoint, I do think it is hard to argue it doesn't improve late game drama if a team has 2.5 seconds and now has a catch and shoot or one dribble and shoot chance.

I think the shot clock is fine where it is now.

Quarters would be OK, but if the big issue is fouls, couldn't they also just bump up the foul limit a bit (say 9 and 12)?

The one rule I don't really like they mentioned is the flop technical foul. If the official is convinced enough of a flop to issue a technical foul, why then can't they just keep the whistle in their pocket and say it wasn't a foul and play on. It's as if they are saying 'We don't want you to try to fool us, but we already know when you are trying to fool us.'
The reality is the refs do get fooled on flops, so the way to deter players from trying to fool them is to make there be some cost to trying and getting caught
I'm for it.

Agree with others on the advancing the ball rule. It makes no sense to me to allow a team gets to advance the ball for free, it deprives the other team the opportunity to defend the whole length or the court if they want to.

I'd like to see a ban on reviewing solely for clock issues outside of the last five seconds. You change the game by giving teams free timeouts with those reviews, it ruins the viewing experience, and fixing the difference between 7.2 and 6.7 seconds on the clock isn't worth the cost in my opinion.

Any shots made over half-court should be scored as 4 pts…plus a check of $5,000 payable to the shooter.

I dislike most of these changes. The change I’d like to see is one that limits timeouts at the end of the game. Maybe make it so teams only have two timeouts each after the last media timeout. Quit making the last two minutes of a game last 15 minutes.

I'm sure most will think this one is stupid: Put a rule in to prevent players on the court from meeting with their coaches during clock issues, replays, etc. These already take way too long. Then it takes another 30 seconds to break the huddles, clean up the floor and get everyone in place. Not to mention, it's a free timeout. When the stoppage is over, give them 10 seconds to get in place and drop the ball on the floor, if there's nobody there to take it and start the 5 second count. Keep the damn games moving.

Top Bottom