CBS: Big Ten tiers in 2024

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Tom:

Big Ten football will look a lot different in 2024, and not just because it welcomes four new West Coast programs. Jim Harbaugh's departure from Michigan to the NFL to coach the Los Angeles Chargers means the three-time reigning conference champions -- and, you know, the reigning national champions as well -- will have a new leader next season. While offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore was promoted to replace Harbaugh, the former Wolverines coach will be taking members of the Michigan staff with him to Los Angeles. So, not only will Michigan's roster look significantly different (primarily on offense), but it will also deal with plenty of turnover on its coaching staff.

Now there's even more pressure on Ohio State to end its Big Ten title drought next season. The Buckeyes were already feeling that heat before the Harbaugh left. With everything the Ohio State has returning next season, it's already seen as the clear-cut favorite to win the conference.

But, is this an Ohio State or The Field situation in 2024? What better way to figure it out than by looking at The Field and breaking it down by tiers.

Will be playing Big Ten football​

Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers

Do not jump down my throat because your school is listed here. While you may look at your team and think, "you know, if these thousand different things all go our way, we've got a shot," nobody else is looking at these teams as legit threats to win the Big Ten in 2024. Of the seven schools in this tier, only Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana appear on Ohio State's 2024 schedule. Ironically enough, they're all in consecutive weeks between a road trip to Penn State and the regular-season finale against Michigan. So, it's possible one of them could catch the Buckeyes slipping and throw a wrinkle in the conference race.

As for the other four, I'd set the odds of any of them meeting Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship Game between slim and none. None of which is to say these teams stink or won't have good seasons. Of the seven, I think all but Indiana have a legit shot of going bowling, and I can't even rule out the Hoosiers entirely. But Big Ten title contenders? Nope. Not happening.

Go Gophers!!

Odd article.
18 teams in the big ten.
You’re going to play 9 of the other 17
But then he makes a comment about how only 3 of those 7 are going to appear on Ohio state’s schedule:
Mathematically, 3 or 4 of them should appear on Ohio states schedule

Not an odd article I guess, just an odd comment

Odd article.
18 teams in the big ten.
You’re going to play 9 of the other 17
But then he makes a comment about how only 3 of those 7 are going to appear on Ohio state’s schedule:
Mathematically, 3 or 4 of them should appear on Ohio states schedule

Not an odd article I guess, just an odd comment
He’s referring to the seven teams he calls out as “having no shot”, not all of the teams on OSU’s B18 schedule.

He’s referring to the seven teams he calls out as “having no shot”, not all of the teams on OSU’s B18 schedule.
Yes. There are 7 in that category

“Of the seven schools in this tier, only Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana appear on Ohio State's 2024 schedule”

He says this as if it should be surprising. But in my opinion it would be more surprising if 5 of them were in the schedule compared to 3

The Gophers had chances to improve their image in the Big Ten over the past few years and haven't done it. They are where they belong for now.

Yes. There are 7 in that category

“Of the seven schools in this tier, only Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana appear on Ohio State's 2024 schedule”

He says this as if it should be surprising. But in my opinion it would be more surprising if 5 of them were in the schedule compared to 3
He makes it sound like tOSU is the only auto loss for these teams and that only 3 of the seven play them. Then says that the others have no shot at playing them in title game. Which is it?

He makes it sound like tOSU is the only auto loss for these teams and that only 3 of the seven play them. Then says that the others have no shot at playing them in title game. Which is it?
Yeah. And then the tone he wrote it is “only 3 play them”

Yeah, only 3 should play them. You play half the conference and there are 7 of them. And for Ohio state you’re locked into Michigan. Which means you have 8 games to play 16 teams. They’re only going to play 3-4 of a random group of 7 teams every year.

I don’t think people have realized yet how messed up the schedule could be because of the lack of round robins within it.

The ACC and big 12 were kind of messed up this year. That was with 14 teams.
The pac 12 was kind of messed up in 2022. That was with 12 teams.

Take a look at the current basketball standings for conferences after 9 games and that is what the records should look like for football at the end of the season roughly.

1706630753666.png

Top Bottom