CBS: Auburn poised to build largest videoboard in college football ($13.9MM)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs told al.com Sunday that at this point, the school isn't interested in expanding 87,000-seat Jordan-Hare Stadium. But that doesn't mean a major upgrade to the 76-year-old venue isn't in Jacobs' plans.

According to Jacobs and documents reviewed by al.com, the Auburn Board of Trustees will vote Friday on plans to build a $13.9 million videoboard in the stadium's south end zone -- one that at approximately 200 feet wide and 55-to-57 feet tall would exceed even the mammoth videoboard at Texas A&M's Kyle Field.

"If what we are intending to do is approved, it'll be the biggest video board in college football," Jacobs said. "That's what our fans deserve and what our football team deserves."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-build-largest-videoboard-in-college-football

Go Gophers!!

Think of all the ads that could fit on that board.

The size of the video boards going into stadiums is insane and every time someone builds a new one they go even bigger. At some point someone is going to take one of the horseshoe shaped stadiums and close off the open end with a a massive video wall.

Have to compete with the 60" HDTV and the couch for butts in the seats. Must show replays or it is pointless tho.

That could pay for thirteen more Cam Newtons. They should reconsider.

Not like the old days....

All games were on Saturday afternoons. No video boards and not much for scoreboards even. During the game the announcers would give updates on other games.... "After three quarters is Madison,,,,Indiana 28,,,Wisconsin 7" - - - -the place would go crazy.

I think ours was like the second or third biggest back in 2009. Is our board even in the top 25 size-wise anymore?

I think ours was like the second or third biggest back in 2009. Is our board even in the top 25 size-wise anymore?

That is a good question. I am sure we have slid down the list a fair amount over the past 5 years. I would think from a height standpoint our board would still stack up ok but would bet that Width wise we have been passed by others. Most of the new boards are designed with HD in mind (more width, less height), when they put our board in I think the U was still banking on the whole HD thing being a fad.

That is a good question. I am sure we have slid down the list a fair amount over the past 5 years. I would think from a height standpoint our board would still stack up ok but would bet that Width wise we have been passed by others. Most of the new boards are designed with HD in mind (more width, less height), when they put our board in I think the U was still banking on the whole HD thing being a fad.

Our board is HD. Are you thinking of the aspect ratio?

Huh? Since when did aspect ratio have anything to do with HD......never. Pretty sure HD was never considered a fad in 2010, already mainstream years before that.

From a home use perspective, HDTV and the move from 4:3 to 16:9 as the standard aspect ratio went hand in hand. "HD" is a bit misleading when you're talking about stadium displays, however. My TV (replacement cost: ~$350) has more lines of vertical resolution than the screen at TCF, but I sit much closer to my TV than anyone does to the screen at TCF. Furthermore TCF's 2040 x 900 display presumably functions so that you can have 1280x720 (720p) screen with replays and such surrounded by ads and the scoreboard display. Looking through that wiki, none of the listed resolutions are your standard 720p or 1080p displays that you'd find in people's homes, though most of the newer video boards are of what you'd likely consider an HD resolution (though far lower than the 4K televisions you can now buy for less than a grand).

Basically, the further you are from a screen the less of a return (approaching zero) you get from a higher display resolution.

View_chart.jpg

This is a sweet conversation for a football forum.

Our board is HD. Are you thinking of the aspect ratio?

Poor attempt at humor on my part. When they built the stadium and put in the huge scoreboard the U cut corners and decided to feed the state of the art scoreboard with SD cameras in order to save money. Leaving all the HD/SD/Aspect Ration/Viewing Angle/Pixel Ratio///// it seems like the trend is towards really wide boards these days however that may be more perception on my part because looking at the chart that panndder linked it seems to be pretty split in terms of boards similar to ours and boards along the lines of what Auburn is proposing or A&M put in recently.

Y'all's board may be easier to see than some of the larger boards such as ours, since it's right at eye level in the open end zone.

Take your board, add 50% more width, but then put it 100' up in the air and that's what we have. Auburn's won't be nearly as high, but it will still be farther away from the field and at a higher angle than TCF.

A big TV looks smaller the further away you sit from it.

Top Bottom