CBS: 2023 Big Ten win totals, odds, picks (Minnesota: 6-6 Overall)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Minnesota​

Over/under 7 wins

Wins
: Eastern Michigan, Louisiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, at Purdue, at Northwestern
Losses: at Iowa, Michigan, at North Carolina, at Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois

Analysis: I didn't see this coming. When I saw the win total posted at seven, I thought that was where I'd end up. Instead, I have the Gophers finishing 6-6. The nonconference features a tough road trip against North Carolina, and the Gophers get a brutal draw from the East with Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State. I don't see a path to eight wins without a major upset along the way. Pick: Under 7 (-110)

Go Gophers!!

Get ready for a LOT of 6-6 predictions from the same group of “experts” that predicted 6-6 in 2019 and 2022.

Last edited:

It isn’t about how tough the schedule is. It’s about how tough the Gophers are. I believe this will be the best Gopher Football since the 60s.

While I feel the team is going to be very good this year, and is moving in an upward trajectory, I think some of the young players and the tough schedule could cause some losses that go away in future years. They can be a "better" team and still lose due to schedule. I'm guessing 8-4.

Our defense will carry us. Our offense is finally balanced. Great year ahead. Yes and PJ continues to improve on game day decisions.

"I don't see a path to eight wins without a major upset along the way."

We are likely underdogs to Michigan and Ohio St plus maybe North Carolina.
Iowa and Wisconsin are tough and that's 7. If we are underdogs to any one else
it's slight so the major upset to 8 wins without a major upset is a reach. We are beating Iowa
and we play Wisconsin at home after winning two in a row.
I'll take the over!

Maybe, just maybe, this team rises to the challenge of a "brutal schedule" and beats some of these scary teams. Lots of writing off MN due to schedule right now, but what if we won 10 and turned the tables on these narratives? Going into 2019, I didn't think we had a prayer against Penn State, then witnessed one of the greatest Gopher victories of my lifetime. If the team gets out of Fall Camp without any disastrous injuries, I think they can turn some heads.

Lot of sports media are using the same laziness in the opposite direction for WI, btw. An "easy" schedule means 11 wins for them, despite the crazy amount of unknowns that come with a complete regime/scheme change.

it's slight so the major upset to 8 wins without a major upset is a reach. We are beating Iowa
I'll take the over!
i'm very curious to see how good unc actually is. they did lose their last 4 games (including an L to 5-7 Georgia Tech as well as getting absolutely demoed by Clemson). Maye is back and is very good but gone are their top 2 wrs, their line still sucks, and their defense was awful last year. I see no reason we can't go there and win, provided the D is as good as they are being made out to be. Fair chance UNC enters with at least one loss, and we'll see what that means for their focus.

Tough schedule this year. Unfortunately I believe 6-6 is a possibility, but I'm a little more optimistic.

i'm very curious to see how good unc actually is. they did lose their last 4 games (including an L to 5-7 Georgia Tech as well as getting absolutely demoed by Clemson). Maye is back and is very good but gone are their top 2 wrs, their line still sucks, and their defense was awful last year. I see no reason we can't go there and win, provided the D is as good as they are being made out to be. Fair chance UNC enters with at least one loss, and we'll see what that means for their focus.
Yep. I think UNC is overrated. My expectation is 8-4. I can see 9-3 with some good luck.

Just so hard to predict due to the variability of how opponents will be:

There are 5 games in the schedule where I frankly don’t know if the opponent is a 5 win type team or an 8-9 win type team;
Iowa
Illinois
Michigan state
Purdue
Wisconsin

There is one team I don’t know if they’ll be a 3 win team or a 7 win team:
Nebraska

There are two teams I am confident will be 9+ win teams and probably more likely 10+
Ohio state and Michigan

Yep. I think UNC is overrated. My expectation is 8-4. I can see 9-3 with some good luck.
I think North Carolina is very good. But they’re much closer to being a MN/IA/WI level team than an Ohio state or Michigan level team. I expect a competitive game where either team can win.

6-6 is a solid guess. We're replacing quality veterans at QB, RB, and C and we have a change in OC. I'm excited about the new playmakers but there are way too many questions for me to predict over 7 wins.

I'll take the over!
Exactly the only wins that would be major upsets would be OSU and Michigan.

I think North Carolina is very good. But they’re much closer to being a MN/IA/WI level team than an Ohio state or Michigan level team. I expect a competitive game where either team can win.
Oh, I think it will be competitive, but absolutely a winnable game. They have gotten the Mac Brown affect. No strong wins and ended the season with a losing streak.

Oh, I think it will be competitive, but absolutely a winnable game. They have gotten the Mac Brown affect. No strong wins and ended the season with a losing streak.
For sure.
And 5 of their 9 wins were by 3 or less.

If their QB wasn’t a realistic potential first round pick people would feel differently about North Carolina. But I strongly believe they’ll be an 8+ win team even with a tough schedule for them. I also think it’s possible it goes haywire for them due to that schedule.
I really don’t want them to be 1-1 when we play them. Want them to be 2-0 and in the top 14 or 0-2 with Maye thinking about opting out of the rest of the year.

For sure.
And 5 of their 9 wins were by 3 or less.

If their QB wasn’t a realistic potential first round pick people would feel differently about North Carolina. But I strongly believe they’ll be an 8+ win team even with a tough schedule for them. I also think it’s possible it goes haywire for them due to that schedule.
I really don’t want them to be 1-1 when we play them. Want them to be 2-0 and in the top 14 or 0-2 with Maye thinking about opting out of the rest of the year.
Our road game this year. Not thinking it will be like the MSU win last year but I think it has the same vibe. Fleck will have them ready.

My gut tells me 6-6 is the bottom of the realistic possibilities. It would be a disappointing season, even taking into consideration the schedule. 5-7 would be ugly, 7-5 would be pretty solid. So 6-6 seems like a reasonable pick for a writer who is bearish on the gophers.

I will be disappointed if Gophs go 6-6.
Same.
10+ Estatic
9 really good but probably disappointed it wasn’t 10 because the division was likely there for the taking
8 feeling successful given new QB, tough schedule, year of transition
7 or 6 disappointed, all else being equal (injuries etc)
5 or less, I don’t want to talk about it

Maybe, just maybe, this team rises to the challenge of a "brutal schedule" and beats some of these scary teams. Lots of writing off MN due to schedule right now, but what if we won 10 and turned the tables on these narratives? Going into 2019, I didn't think we had a prayer against Penn State, then witnessed one of the greatest Gopher victories of my lifetime. If the team gets out of Fall Camp without any disastrous injuries, I think they can turn some heads.

Lot of sports media are using the same laziness in the opposite direction for WI, btw. An "easy" schedule means 11 wins for them, despite the crazy amount of unknowns that come with a complete regime/scheme change.
I always love how posters overuse the term lazy or laziness to describe any article they don’t like

I think 7-5. I would not take the over at 7
In order I’d guess:
7-5
6-6
8-4
5-7

Considering the schedule, less than 8 regular season wins is a crushing set back. We need 10 wins.

Can't wait for this game. Just booked my flight to RDU.

I expect them to beat UNC and Wisky.

Top Bottom