CB Kiondre Thomas Enters Transfer Portal

This makes sense. He's in his last year of eligibility and he's a backup. He would have played some minutes, but it's hard to blame a guy for wanting to get as much PT as possible.

The rumor is, Sawvel is going to be DC at Wyoming, and that KT might follow him there.

The rumor is, Sawvel is going to be DC at Wyoming, and that KT might follow him there.
good for Sawvel -- I like Craig Bohl and wish them both success there. I wish Kiondre the best and I am glad that he ended up having a solid career after his named was wrongfully dragged through the mud.

Musical chairs. And it is going to get faster and faster, more and more guys playing. Pro football but with the money less clearly laid out.

Well, that and players want to play...

This. One year left and no clear path to a starting job here so makes sense that he would wan to explore his options and see if he can find a better fit.

This. One year left and no clear path to a starting job here so makes sense that he would wan to explore his options and see if he can find a better fit.
He very well could have started had we moved Durr or one of the other more experienced CB's to nickel and would have likely been one of our top 3 corners and would have gotten significant PT anyways.

This is definitely a surprising move and a big blow to our depth.

He very well could have started had we moved Durr or one of the other more experienced CB's to nickel and would have likely been one of our top 3 corners and would have gotten significant PT anyways.

Not to mention injuries, etc.

Durr and St. Juste seem pretty entrenched as the outer corners. It is what it is, having Thomas around to add depth would have been great but I can totally understand a guy wanting more guaranteed playing time.

Plus we have no way of knowing what the overall depth chart looks like in terms of the DBs. Entirely possible one of the young guys might be in line for a bigger role this year as well and would have made it tougher for Thomas to see the field.

Well we needed few players to move on. I know we all dream of Ryerse or someother unused guy leaving, but thats not always how it works

Wish him the best

He was a good player for sure. Was hoping he could step into the Chris Williamson role this season.

He was a good player for sure. Was hoping he could step into the Chris Williamson role this season.

He seemed to get a lot of playing time early in the year and then just kind of vanished. Bio says he played in every game but didn't record any stats for the majority of the later season games.

Bummer to see him leave, but I feel like his career arc here was trending the wrong direction. I feel like he kinda peaked during his sophomore season, but never was as impactful after that. As others have said, while he may have been a backup this next season, he would have likely been in the rotation. It definitely makes me think there are new players (guys who were true or redshirt freshmen this past season or maybe even a new recruit) that he feels have passed him on the depth chart.

I think between T Smith, Howard, Justus Harris and Solomon Brown - maybe even newcomer Jalen Glaze - we will be fine.

PS. With the way Howard entered the portal and came back, it makes me feel like Fleck had some kind of conversation with him that laid out much more playing time. The consequence of that convo could be Thomas leaving.

Bummer to see him leave, but I feel like his career arc here was trending the wrong direction. I feel like he kinda peaked during his sophomore season, but never was as impactful after that. As others have said, while he may have been a backup this next season, he would have likely been in the rotation. It definitely makes me think there are new players (guys who were true or redshirt freshmen this past season or maybe even a new recruit) that he feels have passed him on the depth chart.

I think between T Smith, Howard, Justus Harris and Solomon Brown - maybe even newcomer Jalen Glaze - we will be fine.

PS. With the way Howard entered the portal and came back, it makes me feel like Fleck had some kind of conversation with him that laid out much more playing time. The consequence of that convo could be Thomas leaving.

I don't think his career arc had anything to do with him. IMO, he is a decent corner. We just really lucked out (great recruiting) on being able to land Williamson and St. Juste. I think Thomas, rightfully, believes that he could be a starting caliber CB for an FBS school.

I am not sure if the conversation between Fleck and Howard had much to do with K. Thomas. With or without Howard, Thomas' role would be that of the 4th/5th CB. Fleck also really likes to sprinkle in young guys so they have some experience the next year (see Brown and likely Glaze).

I don't think his career arc had anything to do with him. IMO, he is a decent corner. We just really lucked out (great recruiting) on being able to land Williamson and St. Juste. I think Thomas, rightfully, believes that he could be a starting caliber CB for an FBS school.

I am not sure if the conversation between Fleck and Howard had much to do with K. Thomas. With or without Howard, Thomas' role would be that of the 4th/5th CB. Fleck also really likes to sprinkle in young guys so they have some experience the next year (see Brown and likely Glaze).

Well, IMO, his career arc was affected by us continuing to land better talent while he was here. He may have kept improving after his sophomore year, but apparently it wasn't enough to keep his starting spot.

PitinoFan, where are you hearing this? I'm a Wyoming guy and haven't heard/seen anything about Sawvel. Wyoming lost a lot of its D staff and a commit or two to Washington State. Big10 transfer wouldn't hurt. Thanks.

Wouldn't his departure effectively open up a spot to bring in a grad transfer CB?

Wouldn't his departure effectively open up a spot to bring in a grad transfer CB?
I think they still need another couple departures to get below 85, not to mention they can only sign one more player this cycle. So I doubt it, but you never know.

PitinoFan, where are you hearing this? I'm a Wyoming guy and haven't heard/seen anything about Sawvel. Wyoming lost a lot of its D staff and a commit or two to Washington State. Big10 transfer wouldn't hurt. Thanks.

That came from Burns. I have no idea where he heard it. I think KT following him there was more of an assumption.

This makes sense. He's in his last year of eligibility and he's a backup. He would have played some minutes, but it's hard to blame a guy for wanting to get as much PT as possible.

It is the world we live I guess. Leave when it gets tough. So he thinks he just take the place of a guy in the program he goes to and plays one year? Never understood the one year guy. There are a couple exceptions here and there but for the most part, I would as the coach build continuity rather than take the transfer guy for one year.

It is the world we live I guess. Leave when it gets tough. So he thinks he just take the place of a guy in the program he goes to and plays one year? Never understood the one year guy. There are a couple exceptions here and there but for the most part, I would as the coach build continuity rather than take the transfer guy for one year.

I don't think he left when the going got tough. He stuck with the U through a lot of hard times. He graduated and is likely doing us a favor. I thnk it's the best for both parties.

Most coaches would choose the continuity route but sometimes you have depth issues where you need that one year guy to come in and play. Obviously there will be plenty of places not interested in taking on a one year guy like Thomas but he only has to find one.

WTF?

These kids bust their asses for these teams for years... it's always tough.

I think they still need another couple departures to get below 85, not to mention they can only sign one more player this cycle. So I doubt it, but you never know.
I think we need closer to half a dozen guys to leave.

And, we have zero idea how much his decision to leave was influenced by someone else.
Like btown says...we need roster spots.

Best of luck to Kiondre.

Top Bottom