Cashman coming home

Why no scholarship? Great players receive scholarships. You did not comprehend my post. Reread then think what you read.
He got a lot larger. He was around 200 lbs and played this sort of hybrid S/LB role that a lot of good football players for Eden Prairie played.

Grayson Levine (former Gopher), Drake Michaelson, Carter Coughlin, Ryan Connelly (former Viking). . I'm sure I'm missing some guys. But they were all about 6'2" and between 190 - 210 in HS. Coughlin grew, which is why he became the only one of these guys who was a highly rated recruit.

To answer your question about why no scholarship out of HS, because he graduated HS about 30 lbs lighter than he needed to be to play LB in college. He was probably offered a spot without knowing if he'd play S (like Levine) or LB. He grew into a LBer without losing the speed.

Does this mean my Blake Cashman rookie card is going up in value? :LOL:

Welcome home, Blake. I look forward to your contribution to the Vikings as well as any mentorship you can give Gopher linebackers.

Last edited:

The Vikings have agreed to a 1 year deal with QB Sam Darnold.

The Vikings defense has reformed to the Flores 3-4.

The first year the Vikings switched to the 3-4, they didn't have the right personnel.

I like watching Kendricks play. He was one of my favorites. But he was not an outside or inside 3-4 linebacker. He actually did better than I thought the year they switched.

Now Cashman will play inside, flow to the ball, stop the run, be used creatively. He was a 4-3 linebacker last season but not the Kendricks outside 4-3 type.

All those years the Vikings were running a 4-3, producing great pass-rushing DEs (Doleman, Eller, Allen) and tackles that could get the QB (Page, Randle, Williams)... Interesting to watch the defense switch it up to the Flores 3-4.

I wonder if Barr will have a roster spot too? I liked watching him play back in the day.
LOL.
So much wrong in one post.

He got a lot larger. He was around 200 lbs and played this sort of hybrid S/LB role that a lot of good football players for Eden Prairie played.

Grayson Levine (former Gopher), Drake Michaelson, Carter Coughlin, Ryan Connelly (former Viking). . I'm sure I'm missing some guys. But they were all about 6'2" and between 190 - 210 in HS. Coughlin grew, which is why he became the only one of these guys who was a highly rated recruit.

To answer your question about why no scholarship out of HS, because he graduated HS about 30 lbs lighter than he needed to be to play LB in college. He was probably offered a spot without knowing if he'd play S (like Levine) or LB. He grew into a LBer without losing the speed.
Bob is correct. I watched Cashman while he was at EP. Great athlete. Always around the ball. Made great plays.

Cashman was scholarship guy after first season every year. I think when he was evaluated out of high school, he wasn't thought to have the size and he is a lot faster than given credit for.

Cashman was scholarship guy after first season every year. I think when he was evaluated out of high school, he wasn't thought to have the size and he is a lot faster than given credit for.

I think he was walk-on his FR (2015) and SO (2016) seasons.

He was awarded a scholarship in April 2017.

So, he was full ride his JR (2017) and SR (2018) seasons.

Cashman came in at 215 and was 225 starting his Soph year. Coughlin came in at 220 and was 245 starting his Soph year.

Really happy the Vikings signed Cashman. It's great to have a Gopher on the roster after not having one last year after Esezi's release. On the field he seems like a great fit for Flores defense with his blitzing ability. I think the Vikings have a really nice free agency with their 3 defensive additions. Interestingly enough Andrew Van Ginkel is an Iowa kid who the Gophers recruited out of a JUCO but signed with the Badgers.

Reactions: Go4

Glad Cashman is coming home to Minnesota and it's ironic that Hunter is headed to his hometown Houston. A fun fact I found was Hunter and 2024 CB Mike Gerald went to the same high school. That's crazy...

Unfortunate that he will never win a Super Bowl

Top Bottom